The Search for new Cans
Feb 24, 2009 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Busta9iron

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I am finally jumping into the mix here at Head-Fi. I've been through the search, and reading a lot of info on the forums about Cans, IEMS, etc. I believe I am more confused about Head Fi than when I started seeking knowledge here. I can tell you that I have purchased a PA2V2 from Gary about a week ago, and have nothing but good things to say about him. The amp is decent for the price, but a bit bass heavy, not terrible. I now have Sennheiser EH 150 cans, I know these are low level, but that is why I am here. I am looking to upgrade, and can tell all that I had Senn's years ago, the EH's, good but definitely can be improved upon. I only know the Sennheiser sound, but do not live in an area that I can easily have access to high fi equipment. I do listen to rock, mainly Classic, Alternative. Have started into Jazz, and have some old Windham Hill I enjoy occasionally. Is an AKG K240 MKII a good can? Have done several searches for this model, but seem to only get info on the S model. I do like music more neutral to more on the treble side, definitely not a basshead. Am thinking that a Monitor can may be more suited to my tastes, although I do not plan to use them for studio purposes. Anyway thanks for your help.

Feb 24, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Busta9iron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone, I am finally jumping into the mix here at Head-Fi. I've been through the search, and reading a lot of info on the forums about Cans, IEMS, etc. I believe I am more confused about Head Fi than when I started seeking knowledge here. I can tell you that I have purchased a PA2V2 from Gary about a week ago, and have nothing but good things to say about him. The amp is decent for the price, but a bit bass heavy, not terrible. I now have Sennheiser EH 150 cans, I know these are low level, but that is why I am here. I am looking to upgrade, and can tell all that I had Senn's years ago, the EH's, good but definitely can be improved upon. I only know the Sennheiser sound, but do not live in an area that I can easily have access to high fi equipment. I do listen to rock, mainly Classic, Alternative. Have started into Jazz, and have some old Windham Hill I enjoy occasionally. Is an AKG K240 MKII a good can? Have done several searches for this model, but seem to only get info on the S model. I do like music more neutral to more on the treble side, definitely not a basshead. Am thinking that a Monitor can may be more suited to my tastes, although I do not plan to use them for studio purposes. Anyway thanks for your help.

I have no idea about your budget, but you sound like someone who could really appreciate all the good things the AKG K701(2) does (they are practically the same phone).

If you research them here, you'll quickly discover that they are quite controversial and they seem to be a "love it/hate it" kind of headphone.
Most of the Hate-it's seem to stem from the K701's bass response. Some just don't like it's overall sound. I'm like you, boomy overdone bass is worse to me than bass that is a lighter, for 90% of the music I like to listen to on phones.

However, I don't consider them ideal for rock. But sometimes I listen to Rush, Alice In Chains and other rock on them and I enjoy it a lot.

Acoustic and vocal music is pure joy to me through my K701's. I think that's really where they shine the most.

I do also recommend anyone buying these cans to invest in quality amplification. That doesn't necessarily mean a headphone amp. My Denon AV receiver does a good job driving my phones. The PA2V2 may be OK, but the K701's like a strong amp.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 13
OK, sorry for not posting the price range. For my first set of decent cans, I'm looking to spend up to two hundred. I have a feeling that you all will be "sorry for my wallet", as this is not my first swim in the audiophile pool. Now, however, I'm looking for an upgrade to what I currently own. I want a better overall sound than my current stock can give me, again not excess on anything, but maybe leaning towards extra treble. I also might add that I would like to use them outside occasionally, and definitely for trips. I am leaning towards closed, as the wife and children don't enjoy my style of music, but have been searching for info on the Sennheiser HD 555, 595. I understand these are open cans, but like all newbs, don't know firsthand the leaking issues. Again thanks for your time.

Sorry for the edit, my source is the Sansa Fuze 4GB with 8GB card, also Denon receiver, very rarely do I use cans with my computer, but since being on these forums, I have my eyes opened. Again sorry for my wallet.

Feb 24, 2009 at 10:21 AM Post #6 of 13
"If you research them here, you'll quickly discover that they are quite controversial and they seem to be a "love it/hate it" kind of headphone." cs swann
That is where my confusion lies, I know everyone's ear is different, but man the range in opinions on some cans is broad. I am assuming that some are guilty of brand loyalty, I know that I have been accused of that as well, but I guess I am suffering from information overload.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 13
Ok...let's summarize:
- Closed
- $200
- Sansa Fuse (+ PA2V2) and Denon receiver
- Rock, Alternative, Jazz
- Not basshead, prefers neutral or slight emphasis on highs

My first thought was HD25, but then they're on the dark side...thinking...
ESW9 is over-budget...
I've not heard the AKG you mentioned, but I wouldn't recommend K518 or K181.
Hmm..

I'd still recommend HD25, I think. They're on the dark side, but the highs are still pretty detailed. Crisper than Denon D1001, but not as crisp as ESW9, I don't think. There.

Feb 24, 2009 at 12:35 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

"If you research them here, you'll quickly discover that they are quite controversial and they seem to be a "love it/hate it" kind of headphone." cs swann
That is where my confusion lies, I know everyone's ear is different, but man the range in opinions on some cans is broad. I am assuming that some are guilty of brand loyalty, I know that I have been accused of that as well, but I guess I am suffering from information overload.

It's really quite a phenomenon. There are a few Head-Fiers that are very vocal in their dislike of the K701 almost to the point of irrationality. I quickly decided that such one-sided fervor was of little use to me and I disregard their comments altogether. What's even worse is that they try to convince those that like it that they only do so for lack of having heard "better" headphones.

I've had one person suggest that I don't like bass, because I found the bass response of the AKG K701 more accurate for some types of music.

Closed cans....well closed tend to really emphasize the lower octaves but I listened to the Denon AH-D2000 and found them very listenable with a fairly bright treble. The bass is a bit too sloppy imo, but there are mods you can do to tighten it up (search for "markl mod").

Lot's of Head-Fiers are happy owners of the Denon AH-D1001, but I have no experience with it personally, so I can't really recommend it except to recommend further research. It's reasonably priced too.

Good luck on your quest, and if you buy a phone and decide after a while you don't like it, you can sell it on Head-Fi and get most of your money back. It's quite surprising to me that folks pay 80-90% of a new phones price for used but it happens all the time here. You don't really see that in too many hobbies.

Best-o-luck to you
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #9 of 13
After a very long day, and a somewhat confusing response from jonathanjong, I do not know what you are trying to say, but if I offended you in some way, I am sorry. I have been thinking that I may have to go with open cans for better listening and use the old EH 150's for the outside knocking around. Thanks to cswann1 for your help, and I will look up the 701's. I was also looking at Audio Technica AD 700 cans this morning. Well thanks again for your help, and I will keep looking through the threads tonight.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

I have the AKG K240 MKII. In my opinion these are great headphones for just listening to music (and of course for mixing).

In comparison to the K240S...its my understanding that the MKII simply has improved bass. But by no means are the K240 MKII bassy headphones. The bass is present, tight and controlled. They are fairly neutral cans and the treble is excellent imo. If you are able to try them, do so, however I don't think you will be disappointed.

Feb 25, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 13
So the K240S and K240MKII or very similar, but the new MKII has better bass response? I think I'm narrowing the window to 240 S or MKII, AD 700 or something in the Sennheiser house. I do appreciate your advice gentlemen, and will see you on the boards here.

Feb 25, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

So the K240S and K240MKII or very similar, but the new MKII has better bass response? I think I'm narrowing the window to 240 S or MKII, AD 700 or something in the Sennheiser house. I do appreciate your advice gentlemen, and will see you on the boards here.

Of all the Sennheisers I've heard, I found the HD580's to be the brightest. I think they are excellent for Rock music and I keep my eyes open for a used pair on the cheap myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back