The search continues...
Feb 7, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #16 of 27
Depends. The HD595 will be more intimate with the "silent" live stuff, but if gets any harder than Neil Young or alike, the A900 is the way to go. BTW, the 595's better classical performance also ends when things get loud, like Stravinsky, Wagner or Tchaikowsky.

IMO, the HD595 is (only?) a gentle fon for gentle people.

Feb 7, 2007 at 12:52 PM Post #17 of 27
I still haven't decided but I am so close it feels great!

What do you mean by "silent" live stuff?

PS. Any good discussion threads regarding these headphones that someone might know about? I am not finding anything in the search.

Feb 7, 2007 at 1:18 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kylezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by "silent" live stuff?

A bar stool, some cultivated duett singing, two or three unamped instruments, the audience sits...

Feb 7, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMO, the HD595 is (only?) a gentle fon for gentle people.

There's no biasness going on here
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
I wouldn't say that the HD595 is so laid back that it's only good at classical: actually, the HD650 is miles better at the 595 for classical. It really excells at punk, alternative, and accoustic genres IMHO. You'll find it would have more airy, up front detail then the A900, but the A900 offers isolation and more bass. So of the genres you listed, the only one that I think the A900 might be better at is African drums.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no biasness going on here
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm on a mission...
wink.gif

Unfortunally, the HD595 suits passably here.

But I still regard the A900 as the better fon and the better longtime range investion, as it's not limited to genres. The HD595 definetely is limited, and it is only very very slightly better in its "home game" genres.

Feb 7, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #21 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm on a mission...
wink.gif

Unfortunally, the HD595 suits passably here.

But I still regard the A900 as the better fon and the better longtime range investion, as it's not limited to genres. The HD595 definetely is limited, and it is only very very slightly better in its "home game" genres.

Well I guess I just like a counterstrike
biggrin.gif

In all fairness to the OP, both the headphones are very close in SQ, and I think it may boil down to application. If you are going to be using these as recording cans, then you may need the isolation of the A900.

I personally like the airier qualities of the HD595 as opposed to the bassier qualities of the A900. It's aggressive enough that I use it for listening to punk....not Neil Young
wink.gif
biggrin.gif
Neither of these phones are as fun and poppy as a good Grado, though.

Feb 8, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #22 of 27
Thank you kindly for your input! My music is all acoustic so it may sound better on the HD595 from what I understand, but for looping and recording and layering, the closed A900 may be a necessity. Does this sound accurate?

I like the look of the 595 better, though - A900s are pretty ugly - so I think my final question is regarding male vocals and the didgeridoo: I have gotten the impression that male vocals will sound better with the HD595. How does this compare with the A900, and how do you think that a didge would sound on these cans?

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:48 AM Post #23 of 27
Hello again, any input on these last questions from the peanut gallery? any guidance? Also wondering if there are any good comparison threads for these 2 pairs of headphones.

Feb 9, 2007 at 8:55 AM Post #24 of 27
You must be a saleman's nightmare in real life...
tongue.gif

Feb 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by kylezo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello all!

After wading through more and more information and numerous recommendations, I am much closer to making a descision on my first ever hi quality headphones.

For anyone reading that never saw my first thread, I have been looking for a ~$200 headphone for recording and playing back music - mostly acoustic. African drums, guitar, piano, and vocals.

I am seriously considering the Senn HD595s. Since these are open I was wondering if anyone can weigh in with a similar set of cans that are closed that I could consider so as to eliminate any worry of picking up sound leak on recordings. The 595s are the only headphones that have stayed in the running the whole time and are all I am left with at this point.

What do you all think? Are there some possible downfalls that I should know about with these cans that I could do better with another set?

Thank you for the support you folks have shown me. I love the aural appreciation and fancy-pants air here!

We have a recording studio here on the farm (in the house) Hal uses the Sennheiser HD 600 I gave him
icon10.gif
(Nice employee aren't I? ). Hal has no problems with the mic picking up the feed from the headphones. Plus if you look around you can get them new for a little over your price limit.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:27 AM Post #26 of 27
Salespersons nightmare - that's entirely possible
wink.gif

Thank you for the tip about the open phones and recording.

Feb 12, 2007 at 12:20 PM Post #27 of 27
I'm leaning towards the 595s now that I have found a good price and am not a stickler for closed cans. Can anyone weigh in on the differences in soundstages with these 2? I have heard that the a900s is remarkable for any headphones, open or closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back