The SE420, a step in a different direction...
May 20, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jasper994

Organizer for Can Jam '09
Sadly I think quite a few people are going to dismiss the 420s as being “veiled”. I almost did the same, but since they were sitting here at my disposal for a few weeks I kept listening. Like the title says, it seems that Shure has chosen to take a step in a different direction with the forthcoming SE420.

While Etymotics and Ultimate Ears (with their Triple-Fi) bump up their earphones somewhere around 2 kHz, Shure has decided to put a dip in that range for the SE420. This makes for a very unique listening experience. The harshness of many of today’s recordings is reduced or removed allowing the lower mids to shine through with detail that often goes completely unnoticed or gets completely masked. While on some recordings I found the 420s to be a little dull, they present vocal and live recordings in an almost magical manner. I was blown over by Clapton and Korn Unplugged, and then later enchanted by the sweet vocals of Sarah McLachlan and Norah Jones.

The 420 also takes a step away from the norm in its presentation of bass. While many headphones have a bump around 100 Hz, the SE420 stays pretty flat through that range with a slight bump closer to maybe 40 or 50 Hz. Combined with the upper mids cut I also find the SE420 to be particularly enjoyable for hip hop and electronica.

So how do they stack up to the competition? Well, they tame harshness better than the rest, and have more bass than the E4 with better extension and control than the 5 Pro. The upper mids don’t get harsh like the E5. They kick ass for vocal, acoustic, live, and hip hop while taming hot recordings (RHCP never sounded so good). All this while still delivering a solid performance for everything else.

So if your budget stops in SE420 territory, grab a pair. Give them a little time and let your ears acclimate to a different presentation and I think you’re really going to be happy with the results. For those who can afford more, consider what you listen to most of the time. If you find yourself listening to a lot of live recordings, a lot of harsh recordings, or if you love hip hop and electronica, give these babies a chance. They may just be the right ticket despite their lower cost.

If anyone would like direct comparisons, I have a pretty extensive music library, and can compare the SE420 to the UE-10, SE530/E500, Super.Fi 5 Pro, E4, E5, E2, Mylar X3, and the Mylar XB.

May 20, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

better extension and control than the 5 Pro.

Better extension? The 5 pros do almost 8db at 20hz!

Of course, just about anything has better control, though.

May 20, 2007 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better extension? The 5 pros do almost 8db at 20hz!

The frequency balance is such that the lowest lows come through much more heavily with the 420 than the 5 pro does. This is perhaps similar to the difference between the DT770 (250ohm version) vs. the Sennheiser HD280 Pro.

May 20, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #4 of 19
Can you give as a comparison between the SE420 and SE530? And SE420 and UE10? Thanks!

May 20, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you give as a comparison between the SE420 and SE530? And SE420 and UE10? Thanks!

Sure... Is there anything in particular you're looking for in that comparison?

May 20, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #6 of 19
Yep. Difference in treble and soundstage between SE530 and SE420.
Difference in overall detail among the three (SE420 vs 530, SE530 vs UE10).

I'd like also to know where exactly the UE10 are better than the SE530. They should be fairly neutral, but exactly where? How does the bass compare in both? Does the treble of the SE530 seem rolled off, compared to the UE10?

Thanks!!

May 20, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm still surprised the 5 Pro is even compared to anything today.
plainface.gif

May 22, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #9 of 19
Hmmm... I'm noticing a few things in trying to answer your questions that I would like to investigate a little further. I'll get back to you within a couple of days.

Sorry for the delay...

-Aaron

Users who are viewing this thread

Back