The Samsung P2 is now available at Circuit City *now with video!*
Oct 8, 2007 at 2:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

neoufo51

500+ Head-Fier
There seems to be only the 4GB version, but I was at Circuit City today getting a DVD player for my folks and the display cases had the T10 inside for $149. I asked the salesperson and they said the P2 4GB version will be on the shelf this week too according to their stocking schedule. I'm in California so it looks like they should be available online this week. I was VERY tempted to buy one but I think I will wait to see if the price will go down around Christmastime at an online store. Who's going to take the plunge?

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #2 of 33
I may, but not for 4gb only. Samsung insists in making small capacity players.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 33
Yeah but only because their Asian market is in high demand for flash players you can tuck away easily and not damage with a jog or a drop in a busy street. I think I'm going to sell my T9 here once I see the price dip below $149. I'm so pleased with my T9 that I can't help but see what goes on with the T10. There's a Rockbox port in the works for the T9 but I'm starting to think the T10 will be a bigger improvement that I thought it would be, the more I read about it.

Oct 9, 2007 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah but only because their Asian market is in high demand for flash players you can tuck away easily and not damage with a jog or a drop in a busy street. I think I'm going to sell my T9 here once I see the price dip below $149. I'm so pleased with my T9 that I can't help but see what goes on with the T10. There's a Rockbox port in the works for the T9 but I'm starting to think the T10 will be a bigger improvement that I thought it would be, the more I read about it.

I think he is talking about 8-16 GB flash.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #7 of 33
Apparently, Samsung is keeping away from selling large capacity flahs players in the US. I wonder if it's an agreement with Apple. I read once that Samsung produces the flash memories used in the iPods.

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #8 of 33
Do these new Samsung models have a SDHC slot? I keep all my music and video files on 8GB SDHC cards so they can be used interchangeably on multiple devices (i.e. my Archos 605 WiFi flash model, Oppo DVD player, laptop, etc).

Oct 9, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Do these new Samsung models have a SDHC slot? I keep all my music and video files on 8GB SDHC cards so they can be used interchangeably on multiple devices (i.e. my Archos 605 WiFi flash model, Oppo DVD player, laptop, etc).

No memory slot (SDHC or otherwise) on the new Samsung players.

Oct 9, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #10 of 33
That's a major negative for this new Samsung device. The new Zen has an SDHC slot. 8GB SDHC memory (6gen) can now be purchased for $60, and getting cheaper all the time. It's so much easier transfering music/video files on/off these cards rather than the internal memory on most of these devices-- to say nothing of the convenience of the interchangeability of the cards with other devices.

Oct 9, 2007 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 33
I just picked up a P2 from circuit city today, and promptly returned it. It had a huge amount of hiss with my shure e500's, it felt cheaper than the k-5 and t-9. Both those (k5 t9 ) had barely any hiss with my shures, so I was really suprised by how much noise was in the signal. The touchscreen isn't as smooth as the apple touch, you have to hit things multiple times, this can probably be fixed with firmware.

The good points, rich sound with deep bass, and the screen looks awesome. Too bad as I was looking forward to this unit, this thing isn't going to be good with sensitive iems.

Oct 10, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #13 of 33
Ok...I gave up and bought a P2. I had this old $50 gift certificate for CC I got more than a year ago and I dropped the price down to $149. I have to say...there is significantly more presence and depth in this player then there is my T9. Plus, I really love the video support, its so brilliant and the 16x9 screen was really what I was looking for the whole time in my search for a great mp3 player.

A note to users of the Futuresonics Atrio M5's: The other user before me said he got a lot of hiss with his e500's. However, I've been listening to the player for about a hour now and I hear no hiss at all. I guess the M5's aren't very sensitive! I love this player so much already. It's really just night and day with my T9, which sounds great, but still is missing that critical step in audio reproduction.

By the way, I'm selling my 4gig T9 for $75 in the FS subforum. :p

Oct 10, 2007 at 5:13 AM Post #14 of 33
Wow! Your saying the SQ is better than the t9 and K3, and yet it is still missing something? What is it missing, keeping in mind that we are talking portable audio here?

Oct 10, 2007 at 6:22 AM Post #15 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow! Your saying the SQ is better than the t9 and K3, and yet it is still missing something? What is it missing, keeping in mind that we are talking portable audio here?

No, I'm saying that the P2 has the depth and punch the T9 didn't have. The T9 was missing something, and the P2 has it.

There's even a new DSP on the player called "Clarity" which is kind of like the "noise sharpening" plugin that is used with Foobar2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back