The same old question... The best headphones for Ipod Classic? Your advice needed.
Jan 26, 2014 at 7:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

mesmerized

Head-Fier
Dear All,

I use AKG K420 with my iPod Classic and I'd like to go for something better. I've been browsing the Internet and at first I was pretty much sure that the Audio Technica M50 would be the right choice but then I've found other opinions saying the M50 is not the best choice at all... I'm a bit confused now. I don't want to pay top dollar and my limit is exactly something around the price of the M50. 

Is it possible to buy good quality headphones that can be powered by my iPod and have the sound silence system? I commute a lot and it would be wonderful to get rid of some of those noises... If such a combination is simply not possible, please suggest best sound quality headphones and I'll simply use them in quiet conditions only.

Thanks a million,

Cheers

Jan 26, 2014 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 19
So - you want closed headphones that possibly include noise cancelling. Not everyone like in-ear monitors (although if you have only used the ear buds that came with your phone, then you have NOT really used IEMs).

Check out the Logitech UE6000. I have not heard them, but they seem to meet your requirements:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000079-UE-6000-Headphones/dp/B0094S36RI

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 19
Thank you for your advice... Is Logitech really good at making headphones? I'm not looking for headphones for my PC.

So far I've had these:

AKG K511 (flat sound, lack of bass)
AKG 420
Sennheiser HD201 (sounding better than AKG K511 in my opinion, even though the latter ones are more expensive) 

Anyway, what do you think about these:

Audio Technica M50
Bose Quiet Comfort 15
AKG 450

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 19
Several years ago, Logitech purchased a company called "Ultimate Ears" (UE). UE is an very respected name in head-fi. The history of UE is fascinating - they were started by Jerry Harvey (of JH Audio) when Jerry Harvey was a sound engineer for Van Halen. Some of the biggest names in music have used UE products while on stage. Now, with that said, since the Logitech purchase, UE has really split into two different businesses - the old pro line, and a "consumer" line that doesn't really have much in common with the pro products. However, the UE6000 has been reviewed very favorably by many head-fiers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Ears

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:33 AM Post #9 of 19
Several years ago, Logitech purchased a company called "Ultimate Ears" (UE). UE is an very respected name in head-fi. The history of UE is fascinating - they were started by Jerry Harvey (of JH Audio) when Jerry Harvey was a sound engineer for Van Halen. Some of the biggest names in music have used UE products while on stage. Now, with that said, since the Logitech purchase, UE has really split into two different businesses - the old pro line, and a "consumer" line that doesn't really have much in common with the pro products. However, the UE6000 has been reviewed very favorably by many head-fiers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Ears

Thanks for this brief note on Ligitech billybob. I've just noticed that I didn't finish one of my sentences. I wanted to say "I don't want to buy headphones that are supposed to be used with my PC" I'll read more about the headphones you're recommending.

Could someone comment on the models I mentioned in the previous post? 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #13 of 19
Your application simply screams for IEMs. The best combination of sound, high isolation, mobility and easy to drive is an IEM like the Shure SE215, Westone UM1 or W1, Etymotic HF-5, etc. Get the right tips and they are very comfortable and will block more typical commuting noise (ie, cars, trains, buses & people) than active noise cancellation. Please do not judge all IEMs by the earbuds you may have tried in the past.

If you want a cheap way to try this: Get the Mee M6 and some Comply T-200 tips. The whole deal will be under $50 and you can see whether I am correct, then look at more expensive options.

PS, for the last 10+ years I have commuted for at least an hour each direction in cars, trains and buses. I also fly at least once a month on business. Been there, done that!

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #14 of 19
Your application simply screams for IEMs. The best combination of sound, high isolation, mobility and easy to drive is an IEM like the Shure SE215, Westone UM1 or W1, Etymotic HF-5, etc. Get the right tips and they are very comfortable and will block more typical commuting noise (ie, cars, trains, buses & people) than active noise cancellation. Please do not judge all IEMs by the earbuds you may have tried in the past.

If you want a cheap way to try this: Get the Mee M6 and some Comply T-200 tips. The whole deal will be under $50 and you can see whether I am correct, then look at more expensive options.

PS, for the last 10+ years I have commuted for at least an hour each direction in cars, trains and buses. I also fly at least once a month on business. Been there, done that!

The thing is that I'm concerned about my hearing... and my guess is that small IEMs might affect it in the long run... What do you think billybob?

PS. I've jus found Audio Technica SJ55. What do you think? 

Jan 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 19
There have been studies that have shown that better isolation allows you to actually turn the volume *down*, and therefore being better for your long-term hearing. Headphones that do not isolate well force your to increase the volume in order to hear the music and drown out the noise. High SPL is what damages your ears. Anything you can do lower the net SPL is a positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back