The sad sound of the AKG240 Monitor
Feb 7, 2010 at 7:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

DefectiveAudioComponent

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought an old AKG240 Monitor (with gold color plates on the sides) at a junk items store. There was nothing wrong about it, except for it's sound. Pads and elastics have seen better days, but the drivers appear ok. Except that the sound is completely un-natural. There appears to be good extension of bass and treble. But the sound of it
mad.gif
Switching to the PMB-80 orthodynamic is a real shock. It doesn't have as boomy bass, but everything sounds so much more natural. Nothing sounds real on the AKG, somewhat ironic, especially the bass sounds absolutely terrible, just an indistinct whup-sound.

Is that un-natural sound characteristic for the AKG lineup?

(all is my opinion of course. perhaps someone else would love the sound of the 240 Monitor)

Feb 7, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you check under the foam on the drivers? monitors have a pad between the earpads and driver, which always disintegrates, and gets caught in the driver

The foam did turn into dust when I touched it. Maybe it's time to take it apart for some cleaning up. I wouldn't mind it sounding a lot better.

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #5 of 32
I think its just the PMB is better
wink.gif

Also if they were abused maybe it affected sound. My MP Sextett had less treble than my EP Sextett when it should have been the other way around....(the MP was well used, and the EP was NOS)

Feb 8, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 32
I have the DF version of the K240 and I must say that it sounds excellent for what I paid for ($80). Sure, it's a bit cuppy sounding due to its closed design and the imaging is a little too diffused, but the overall tonality, balance, and clarity is pretty good.

Feb 8, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 32
the 240m 600 ohm is an awesome headphones, the best i have heard from akg. it likes a LOT of amp, but should sound neutral to warmish

Feb 8, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #8 of 32
If the foam has disintegrated and fallen into the driver, that could be the problem. I also have a k240DF which is very clear and natural sounding...a lot more so than the newer k240S...but even that one doesn't sound as bad as you describe your 240M.

Feb 8, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 32
I haven't heard the M version. But of all descriptions i could think of for the Sextett, or S version, unnatural is certainly not one of them. That's actually one of the only selling points for me on the Sextetts, and I don't think the monitors sound that much different. I don't know how the sextetts achieve that natural sound, but I guess it's that they are all about the most ungodly gorgeous mids possible, and everything else falls to the wayside.

Feb 8, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #10 of 32
There has to be something wrong with Yours 240m. I personally think they're one of the best vintage Akgs. I liked mine even more than K500.
The foam problem is very common, but it shouldnt affect sound this much!
I'd try to (re)burn them and try then. The drivers could get stiff after 20+ years of not being used.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #13 of 32
My parents got them with their brand new stereo at the time. I do agree they do sound artificial but not to shabby overall
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 32
My K240M 600 ohm sound wonderful, so I wonder if something is wrong with yours. Mine are very neutral, transparent and detailed, with a good balance between bass, mids and highs. I bought mine from a guy on eBay who was auctioning off a bunch of Stevie Wonder's old gear that his ex-wife left in a storage unit and didn't pay for. I thought about buying the digital tape recorder with brail on the faceplate, but couldn't afford it.

Smeggy turned my other pair into an SFI ortho (fosterphone) so if your drivers are bad that is another option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back