The Rolling Stones Did It Again!
Mar 21, 2006 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
I don't know whether this was reported
but many would found it quite interesting.
Top Ten Tours of 2005

Artist - Total Gross in MILLIONS - Avg Tix Price

1. The Rolling Stones - $162M - $134
2. U2 - $139M - $97
3. Paul McCartney - $77.3M - $135
4. The Eagles - $76.8M - $104
5. Elton John - $66M - $102
6. Kenney Chesney - $62M - $55
7. Dave Matthews Band - $57M - $47
8. Neil Diamond $47M - $63
9. Jimmy Buffett - $41M - $76
10. Motley Crue - $40M - $46

Also the most expensive ticket: $450 to see the Rolling Stones

This data is taken from the Rolling Stone magazine, Jan. 2006:

"Concert Biz Bounces Back. Stones and U2 Help Industry Rebound From Terrible '04"
".... I don't see it as a rebound. The jury is out about how the concert business is doing ..."

Another Article:

"U2 Tour Ends With a Bang"
Portland, OR, finale caps 118 selouts worldwide

What do you think about the list? What are The Eagles doing there?

See you at the Rolling Stones concert in the $450 seat!
580smile.gif

Adam

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia
What are The Eagles doing there?

I think it is because the Eagles play a lot of private/corporate engagements instead of touring. Not a bad way to make a living!

Bryan

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 26
Ohhhh my...

I went to see the Stones, 5 rows up from the floor, at MSG. Follwed by Billy Joel with a ladyfriend a few eeeks later (she must like me to go to a Joel concert... heh heh), almost same position, but on opposite sides, in January...

Damn...
icon10.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 5:03 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by F50GTR
Ohhhh my...

I went to see the Stones, 5 rows up from the floor, at MSG. Follwed by Billy Joel with a ladyfriend a few eeeks later (she must like me to go to a Joel concert... heh heh), almost same position, but on opposite sides, in January...

Damn...
icon10.gif

Did you pay $450 per ticket to make the Stones richer?

Just curious,
biggrin.gif

Adam

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:20 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Ohhhh my...

Damn...
icon10.gif

Not to mention geriatric Grandpa Mick dancing around like a demented teenager but looking as if he needs little blue pills for everything else.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
I think it is because the Eagles play a lot of private/corporate engagements instead of touring. Not a bad way to make a living!

Bryan

Not if you actualy respect your music and have integrity, then its a HORRIBLE way to make a living.

I guess multi millionaires overcharging their customers is still a great way to make a living. Its disgusting what the Stones, McCartney etc.. charge their fans. If it wasnt for middle aged businessmen who sold out long ago looking for a nostalgia, maybe fans of music could actually afford tickets.

Mar 23, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
Not if you actualy respect your music and have integrity, then its a HORRIBLE way to make a living.

I guess multi millionaires overcharging their customers is still a great way to make a living. Its disgusting what the Stones, McCartney etc.. charge their fans. If it wasnt for middle aged businessmen who sold out long ago looking for a nostalgia, maybe fans of music could actually afford tickets.

Anything that makes a lot of money with so little effort can't be all bad.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
Not to mention geriatric Grandpa Mick dancing around like a demented teenager but looking as if he needs little blue pills for everything else.
very_evil_smiley.gif

He actually looked very young and agile (excpet the batwings under his arms
tongue.gif
)... must be the heroin.

Mar 23, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
Those are amazing numbers, but net would be more informative.

I actually think average age of the concertgoer would be the most informative (if not most interesting)
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 23, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane

100% agree. IMO, NO concert is worth more than a hundred bucks. Once you go over that, you are paying for the band's 150th car and private jet. Rediculous
rolleyes.gif

Mar 24, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08
100% agree. IMO, NO concert is worth more than a hundred bucks. Once you go over that, you are paying for the band's 150th car and private jet. Rediculous
rolleyes.gif

Well... I thought it was worth it, for every overpriced concert I've gone to. It isn't the 150th jet, it's the experience of seeing a group who is so good at what they can do, they can attract people who are willing to spend 2,000 bucks on Stones floor seats.

For my $500 tickets (For 2) I could've seen Green Day 10 times... but I would never.

Mar 24, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Well... I thought it was worth it, for every overpriced concert I've gone to. It isn't the 150th jet, it's the experience of seeing a group who is so good at what they can do, they can attract people who are willing to spend 2,000 bucks on Stones floor seats.

For my $500 tickets (For 2) I could've seen Green Day 10 times... but I would never.

Hey, it's your money, do what you want. I would rather see Opeth 25 times than the Stones once. Hell, I'd rather see Opeth once than the Stones once... but that's me
icon10.gif

Personally, the ONLY reason why the Stones can get away with such insane prices is that their fan base is mostly older people with the money to blow. This can be applied to many groups on that list. They are no more talented than Opeth, but Opeth does not exactly have a Stones level fan base with deep pockets. I think it's knowing what you can get away with...

Mar 24, 2006 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 26
They said, in this article, that the Rolling Stones and, if I remember correctly,
Paul McCartney would not tour this year. The author wondered what would happen
to the rock show business. The business will lose a lot of money because of those two key players missing.

See you,
580smile.gif

Adam

Users who are viewing this thread

Back