The Roller's Guide To Op-Amps
Dec 3, 2006 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Dexdexter

Headphoneus Supremus
Sticky Alert!

Having just ordered the new rollable Go-Vibe V5S, while currently knowing absolutely nothing thus far about op-amps, I thought I'd best tap into The Knowledge here by beginning a thread with Sticky-potential where the more experienced members can share their theories and impressions about the cornucopia of available op-amps and their compatibility with various amplifier models and optimal headphones.

I'm hoping that we can assemble a usable guide here that can be of benefit to both experienced rollers and newbies alike.

It would be nice if we can maintain a consistent structure by prefacing posts with the exact model number of the specific op-amp under discussion and compatible amplifiers within the realm of the poster's experience.

Also, let's be sure to include appropriate links to more in-depth articles, threads and discussions pertinent to op-amp models, as well as the all-important links directing us to where we might purchase them and any relevant op-amp accessories.

And in the spirit of community, yes, even Andrea is invited here to contribute and join in on the fun!
wink.gif

Now then, who's gonna get this party started?
280smile.gif

Dec 3, 2006 at 2:10 PM Post #2 of 17
Sounds like a good idea. There is a comprehensive tube introductory sticky.

HiFlight had a good listing of opamps he has tried with the SuperMacro and where you could purchase them and other related information.

Dec 4, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #8 of 17
Nice thread for an amp newbie! So which of the two V5S options will sound better, the OPA227 or LM6171 combos? According to Norm, the OPA227 draws half as much current, so should dramatically increase battery life. It also seems to get high marks from the Tangent site. I know, trust your ears and all, but I'm just curious. Also, what would be a really good compatible upgrade to the V5S?

Dec 4, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by otprof /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice thread for an amp newbie! So which of the two V5S options will sound better, the OPA227 or LM6171 combos? According to Norm, the OPA227 draws half as much current, so should dramatically increase battery life. It also seems to get high marks from the Tangent site. I know, trust your ears and all, but I'm just curious. Also, what would be a really good compatible upgrade to the V5S?

I'm pretty sure it's not possible make any conclusions until the units are out and heard by lots of people. By the way, Norm is including the OPA2277, and not the OPA2227 - apparently, these are two different op-amps, and Tangent doesn't have info on the 2277.

Dec 4, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure it's not possible make any conclusions until the units are out and heard by lots of people. By the way, Norm is including the OPA2277, and not the OPA2227 - apparently, these are two different op-amps, and Tangent doesn't have info on the 2277.

Whoops, you are right. Here is the email I got from Norm about the battery life:

Quote:

The V5S comes with two sets of op-amps. If you use the LM6171/2s, you should get over 50 hours. The other op-amp set is the OPA227/2277 and although I haven't run an actual test, the quiescent current drawn by this set is less than half the LM6171/2. In other words, double the battery life.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #11 of 17
The OPA277 and OPA2277 are op-amps with a bandwidth of 1 MHz, a 0.8 V/us slew rate and a 800 uA/channel quiescent current.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #12 of 17
On the Go-Vibe V5S thread, incredibly enough back on-topic for just a post or two, Andrea reveals some of his op-amp sources:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I normally order either from RS components or from the free sample programs.
tongue.gif

So that's one nice link to have: RS Components

Now, can anyone elaborate about the "free sample programs"?

Dec 6, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aflac /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hopefully, it will be clear that I included the OPA2277/277 set of op-amps simply as a comparison to the standard LM6171/2. I'm not trying to imply the OPA2277/277 are the ultimate. I was going with the OPA2134/134 but my supplier was out of stock. Burr Brown does a very poor job of managing inventory, and lead times are often lengthy.

There are many well known op-amp pairs which can be tried in the Go-Vibe V5S. I hope to have a basic tutorial on op-amp rolling on the Go-Vibe website soon, and will update it on an ongoing basis as I receive more feedback on how the various contenders perform. This should then become a solid database for those wishing to fine tune the sound of their Go-Vibe V5S by rolling op-amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back