The Rite of Spring
May 4, 2003 at 9:37 PM Post #16 of 20
I got to meet Wendy Carlos briefly at the New York premiere of Woundings (which I found really fun to watch), my friend Roberta Hanley's directorial debut. WC was quite gracious, though she did seem to have a touch of clinician's evil. I sensed restlessness or bitterness, I'm not sure which (She likes to be called Wendy, btw). She was also the soundtrack composer for the film.

Too bad about the dearth of Petrouchka performances on SACD. I'll pick up your Le Sacre in the meantime.

May 4, 2003 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
WC was quite gracious, though she did seem to have a touch of clinician's evil. I sensed restlessness or bitterness, I'm not sure which...

...Funny, I've always thought of her that way. Sort of a mad scientist with that buzzzzz....lightning thang going between the two poles and all that crazy Moog stuff...

From the early '80s:

studio86.jpg

btw, I think you can find Petrouchka on SACD, just not conducted by Stravinsky...

This is Wendy's 2003 studio corner:

studio03.jpg

May 5, 2003 at 1:09 AM Post #18 of 20
Strange, to see Wendy Carols's rig, with its triple-tier keys and sheet music balanced in front: That's exactly how mine looks. My current gf calls me a mad scientist as well -- that seems to be a common keyboardist moniker.

Right now, I've got a sheet of half-filled manuscript paper and the Dover edition of Three Song Cycles by Mahler resting on the keys of the top keyboard (I've yet to find a practical music stand -- music falls periodically as I play). Ovid's Metamorphoses is braced next to the music -- I don't know why.

I've always considered Timesteps to be one of WC's best compositions, whether or not so-called real (non-pitched) electronic composers like Morton Subotnik felt her orchestrations were glorified organ reductions. Have I mentioned that I really dislike Subotniks music? I once attended a concert of his at Reed College and could barely suppress the urge to leave. I'm a fan of linear dissonant counterpoint and I've never heard evidence that Subotnick knew how to write it. In the music of most competent electronic (non-minimalist composers) of Subotnick's vintage, the counterpoint's there -- or at least some semblance of linear musical thought, some graphic outline of form that lets you know the train's in motion. Ambient music can be beautiful in a tinted glass sort of way (nearly inaudible tinges of citron yellow, chartreuse, California skyscraper pink, amber or tamarind). But I find no beauty in Subotnik's kind of stasis.

Lastly:

To be honest, I didn't care for WC's musical contribution to Woundings. I've been wondering what else she's written in the past twenty years. She's still active, like Artemyev, Tarkovsky's soundtrack composer, but we never get to hear what either composer's has written.

Jan 30, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #20 of 20
Antal Dorati, Detroit Symphony.. this one just plain ol' rocks.

Michael Tilson Thomas, old analog recording on DG.. also, rocks out..

The Boulez newer recording on DG (w/ Cleveland I think?) has some intresting moments too, but overall, I'd pick the MTT version if I had to have only one.

Anyone ever compare the begining of Part 2 to the desert scene in Star Wars Episode 4? (after R2D2 and C3PO arrive on the Tatooine?).. Needless to say, John Williams knows his Stravinsky (and his Mahler, and his Rach, and his Richard Strauss, and his.....)

-jar

Users who are viewing this thread

Back