The Ring
Mar 5, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 73
It's Japan that "the ring" was originally scripted and filmed....
And Holywood remake it.......So for some westerner obviously w/ western cultural background it can be~~~weebit...XXXXXX!!!!!

Mar 5, 2003 at 9:06 PM Post #17 of 73
ichi the killer owns, but you have to see the director's cut. you miss out a lot on the scene where he tortures the guy he supposes setup the boss. boiling water is fun and there is certainly no cgi in that scene, nor in the tongue scene.
biggrin.gif
also, i recommend Battle Royale for a fun night of asian politically incorrect cinema.

i thought the ring was really creepy, probably the creepiest movie i've seen since final destination (the bathtub/shampoo choke scene still gives me chills). my gf was the one who wanted to see it, but she ended up spending most of the night hiding under my arm. i thought it had some great style to it and the mapping of cgi with the standard film was incredibly well-done. i don't know if i'll buy it because i'm really not a suspense film fan, but it was definitely worth watching, unlike a lot of movies that came out last year.

Mar 5, 2003 at 10:59 PM Post #18 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by minya
Aye. I loved The Ring. I thought it was the best horror movie I've seen on the big screen in a long time. It was very, very well done and very, very creepy.

The Japanese version is horribly disappointing, however. Obviously I give it credit for coming up with the film in the first place, but I must say the American version is much improved over the shorter and much less atmospheric Japanese version.

I was quite surprised the english version on the ring was viewable despite the tendency for americanised translated film to, u know, be americanised. The original Japanese version still sh!ts all over it. Not only on content but also the cinematography, ambience, the carefully planned suspense and characters. The Japanese version doesnt go into as much details and concentrates on the main plot more, the US version tends to spell it out more or else for its audience.

redshifter, after.

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by taoster
I was quite surprised the english version on the ring was viewable despite the tendency for americanised translated film to, u know, be americanised. The original Japanese version still sh!ts all over it. Not only on content but also the cinematography, ambience, the carefully planned suspense and characters. The Japanese version doesnt go into as much details and concentrates on the main plot more, the US version tends to spell it out more or else for its audience.

redshifter, after.

i thought so. thanks.

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 73
I saw the Japanese version of the Ring about two years ago... and although I don't remember much of it... I can say that I've never seen my cousin jump as far as he did... There's just this one part of the movie where something pops out/up.. and geeeeeez.. everyone in the room jumped.. [My cousin was sitting about 10 feet directly in front of the TV.. so everyone saw him jump.
biggrin.gif

Anyhow.. I haven't seen the American version yet.. but I hope to sometime soon... I'm also hoping to see the Japanese movies in tandem.. Ring Zero, Ring, and Ring Two...

I just gotta wait for my other cousin to come back from Philly...

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:46 PM Post #21 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by redshifter
what movies have scared you, gloco?

Prince of Darkness...scares the crap out of me everytime (with headphones of course!)

The exorcist as well to an extent

That's about it.

Mar 5, 2003 at 11:47 PM Post #22 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
The exorcist as well to an extent

Man.. I left The Exorcist really disappointed...
mad.gif
mad.gif

I didn't find it scary as much as disturbing..... but then again.. I had to go pee in the middle.. so maybe I missed the good part.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2003 at 12:01 AM Post #23 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by vwap
Man.. I left The Exorcist really disappointed...
mad.gif
mad.gif

I didn't find it scary as much as disturbing..... but then again.. I had to go pee in the middle.. so maybe I missed the good part.
smily_headphones1.gif

at least you didn't pee on the carpet!
wink.gif

gloco,
good choice re: prince of darkness. you don't by any chance have the dvd do you? it has become very rare and expensive, but i would never watch it again any other way. the music and sound editing, along with the 1000% improved picture (the basement shrine, anyone?) makes the dvd a MUST OWN for any carpenter fanatic.

Mar 6, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #24 of 73
the ring was pretty good. the sceen at the end...the one with her and the tv...is one of the best horror sceens i can think of. just plane creepy ****.

there's a new japanese ghost movie called juon coming out here in a few weeks that will be one to watch for when/if it hits the states . the trailers are creepy as hell, some of the creepiest sceens i have seen in a long time! something about freeked out ghost children moving in unnatural ways just sends the chills running up and down my spine.

Mar 6, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #25 of 73
You know, I saw the japanese ring first and I couldn't even bother to finish watching it. I just thought it was plain bad. It was full of asian cliches and 80's cinematography "tricks." Maybe it was just the production quality that turned me off...

I ended up enjoying the american ring more even though I am ultimately indifferent about the picture.

Mar 6, 2003 at 2:00 AM Post #26 of 73
The Japanese version was a sure disappointment. My friends and I were deciding whether to watch the American one or the original and we finally decided to watch the latter since it was the first one out. Anyway the movie was not that scary most probably coz our expectations of it being absurdly scary were too high. And most probably coz we were cracking jokes about the movie at the same time ..
rolleyes.gif

Any other movie recommendations besides "kairo"?

Mar 6, 2003 at 2:26 AM Post #28 of 73
Quote:

Originally posted by Mookie
Any other movie recommendations besides "kairo"?

UZUMAKI
very_evil_smiley.gif

The most surreal film I've seen. Up there with Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas.

It isn't a horror film per se, but it's very Japanese. It's about spirals. You need to see it for yourself.

- Chris

Mar 6, 2003 at 8:58 AM Post #30 of 73
Nice to find another horror fan, Redshifter. You're the only other person I know who I've ever heard mention the "guinea pig" series. (Nope, I won't watch those either - although the "Mermaid" episode might be watchable. I don't know.) I have a real aversion to torture scenes, even when they're in a movie. It's just the worst thing imaginable - torture. I don't know why, but just the idea of it really cut right to the core of being. Maybe that's why the only horror film that ever gave me nightmares was Hellraiser. I had no idea what I was watching when it came on HBO one night. After a half hour I was like: "What the f@#K!" Scared the hell out of me. I honest had nightmares for two days!

My first full blown gory horror film (of course I had seen The Birds when I was eight, and that was a great "horror film") was "The Abominable Dr Phibes"! Same as you! My friend kept walking out and hiding in the bathroom of the movie theatre. That was quite an introduction to gore.

I still think The Exorcist is the scariest horror film of all time. As somebody here said, it's not "scary" but "distrubing" To me, that's what makes it really fightening. It unsettles you and undermines your feeling of being "safe" in this world. What's frighting? A fisherman chasing teen idols with a hook or a child tearing up her vagina with a crucifix. You tell me. Maybe today "scary" means the shock cliche of a corpse falling out of a closet as a synthsesizer batters your ears in Dolby Digital surround sound. Yawn.

__________----- SPOILERS -----__________________!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway. I just saw The Ring this week. I bought it on DVD - is it out on DVD in the US yet? I think this was an Academy screener bootleg. Honesty, the first time I sat down to watch it I turned it off after ten minutes. The whole intro with the teenagers talking about the urban legend of the tape left me cold. Do we really need to pay hommage to "Scream" and "I Know What you Did Last Summer"? Those are crap horror films, IMO. That opening underwhelmed me and then when the reporter's son showed up one screen, I was like "And now they're breaking out a Haley Joel Osment 'Sixth Sense' clone!" I got mad and turned off the movie.

TWO DAYS LATER:

Okay, well, I was going to watching the ******* thing, as I did pay for it.

Once I got past the opening I really started enjoying the film, it was a pretty taughtly constructed thriller. Was I scared? Every now and then I felt a little tension, but I really wan't scared....until the last half hour. That's when the horror really started kicking in and the terror built. And then, of course, the well scene and the final tv scene were great! I was absolutely scared! Yes! Sucess!

So, yeah, Redshifter, I definitely think The Ring is a very respectable entry in the horror genre, though I would like to see
"Ringu".

What is a real shame is that Nicole Kidman's "The Others" had the potention of being a classic. What a set up! Great beginning. And then it just died, becoming a laughable mess of a movie. Trim out ten minutes and reshoot a couple scenes and that movie could be great. What a shame!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back