The right number of cans for the collection or just spend big and go unobtainable?
Jan 14, 2017 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vang

New Head-Fier
I've just been catching up over the last two days on the developments in the full sized headphones space watching the informative stuff by Innerfideltiy, Currawong, Phototristan and Headfi TV. Out of headphones in the 1K-2K $ price range I'm most interested in LCD 3, Ether flow, Elears, MRD Z1R and HD800s.

It seems by the very nature of headphones that there is no one end-game headphone. So my question is what do you think is the minimal combination of headphones in the 1-2K range that offers the boardest range of listening experience? For example do you get one planar magnetic for that tight punchy base, a HD800s for the true representation and sound stage and an MDR Z1R for a closed can to round out the needs with 3 pairs or do you need to insert a few more in there? I'd like to discuss the balance of minimalism and enough headphones to get a broad listening experience. What's the best point of deminishing returns? How many headphones is the average audiophile out there actually hoarding?

Or what do people think about going all out and getting to a Stax sr-009 setup or the unobtainable Orhpeus HE 1060 with financing just to experience tear inducing sound within this life?

I do see listening to music as an experience and like other experiences like travel, mountain biking and skiing I have spent tens of thousands pursuing those, so theoretically it doesn't sound totally out of the question to spend that kind of money on headphones. Even theoretically there's a mental barrier.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #3 of 5
No one wants to spend to much on this hobby. It just kind of happens. Until recently I had 9 headphones and 3 amps. I sold 3 headphones and 1 amp and have another amp for sale. But.... I just ordered a Schitt Magni2 Uber amp. Very addictive hobby. I'm really happy with what I have until something new interests me. Then it's upgrade time.

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #4 of 5
Currently I have one closed back for when I need isolation, one open back for when I have some quiet listening time, and one main IEM for travel/work. The true limiting factors are you budget/space constraints and how picky you are about having certain headphones for certain genres. Im content with the amount of headphones I own but I can see why some people might want a variety to choose from for each genre or mood of the day.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 5
No one wants to spend to much on this hobby. It just kind of happens.

TRUTH

happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back