The right earbuds to pleasure my ears
Nov 22, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #16 of 20
Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the S4 is going to be the best option for you. The S4 is very comfortable for people with small ear canals. I have medium sized ears, and I have to wear the largest of the three tips that come with the S4. In addition to that, the S4 has a very warm sound that is considered to be bass-heavy to some. Wear the smaller tips, and the bass is actually accentuated. Since you have smaller ears, that's an advantage you have.

One brief note on the S4: it takes time to burn them in. Be patient, and they'll reward you. I purchased them a week ago, and I've probably put on a good 100+ hours on the phones by wearing them during the day, and letting them run at night some of the nights this week. I nearly took them back in the middle of the week because the sibilance was more than I could take. I'm glad I didn't. The sibilance wore off, and the bass got a bit tighter, and now they sound amazing.

As for the musical capabilities of the S4, I was just listening to Miles Davis, and have been for the last half hour or so. It made me sad to have to switch to some Chemical Brothers just to make sure my suggestion to you would be accurate as pertains to solid, deep bass. I was sad because Jazz just sounds so amazing on these phones. I was actually very impressed by the soundstage present in So Blue. It sounded very clearly like the piano was on my left, the drums on my right, and the bass and Miles himself just in front of me. Very impressed. (I don't listen to a ton of Jazz, but these headphones have just invited me to do so).

The details present should certainly suit your purposes. I'm not sure how it'll play with the iPhone. I use a Zune HD, and the bass on the Zune tends to be a little stronger than the iPhone, but from what I understand, you can EQ the bass up if you need, but that shouldn't be necessary.

I wouldn't suggest classical with these, though. The upper range roll-off makes classical sound a bit muffled.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMorton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and I'm not sure where you live, but if you're in the US, pick a pair up from Best Buy. Try them out for a while. If you don't like them, you can always take them back.

Yeah I live in the US I'll be sure to pick up a pair when I can.
I also want to try the X5's

Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back