The resonant properties of Aluminum...
Nov 23, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:
Pffhahaha, that cracked me up! Are you trolling, or genuinely don't know what it means? :wink:

Are we trying to DAMP or are we trying to DAMPEN?

Nov 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
Are we trying to DAMP or are we trying to DAMPEN?

Sorry for the giggles, its just a pretty normal term here - Dampening means you for example fit a bit of foam, fabric or the like, inside the cups to keep them from resonating and causing distortion etc.

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:
Dampening means you for example fit a bit of foam, fabric or the like, inside the cups to keep them from resonating and causing distortion etc.

No, but as you're Danish it's okay.  :)

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/damped_vs_dampened

Nov 23, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #23 of 26

Quote:
Quote:
No, but as you're Danish it's okay.  :)

http://www.beedictionary.com/common-errors/damped_vs_dampened

Seems weird because if that is true then just about the entire forum is wrong - that includes English and American users....So I somewhat doubt that its the case. Most likely it has just become the common term people use in the HiFi community for whatever reason, no matter wether it is correct or incorrect, so lets not start a revolution here ^^

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:
Seems weird because if that is true then just about the entire forum is wrong - that includes English and American users....So I somewhat doubt that its the case. Most likely it has just become the common term people use in the HiFi community for whatever reason, no matter wether it is correct or incorrect, so lets not start a revolution here ^^

Yup, most of the forum is wrong. A damper is something that subdues oscillations, momentum, or energy. A dampener is the spray bottle of water I use on my plants.  :D

Good luck in your endeavor!

Nov 23, 2011 at 5:25 PM Post #25 of 26
fiberglass or mineral wool be great start. they can absorb frequencies down to 20hz pretty well. can use something with the fiberglass and mineral wool to give it extra absorption for the midrange to the highs. polyfill works pretty well at trapping and slowing down midrange and high frequency resonance. cotton works pretty well as well. stuffing a headphone enclosure is pretty much like stuffing a speaker cab. just need lot less of it to do great and get the job done.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #26 of 26
I was totally going to make the same comment about damping vs dampening.  Don't feel too bad even the Star Trek movies make the same mistake.  I always wondered if the "external dampeners" were some kind of moat around the ship.  It's one of those faux pas that has worked it's way into normal usage, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still WRONG!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back