The relationship of Techno Music and Classical Music
Apr 19, 2008 at 10:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Computerpro3

1000+ Head-Fier
I read a thought provoking quote by one of our most well respected members, cash68, that stated

Quote:

Techno/electronic dance music is actually pretty similar to classical music in construction, it's use of a chorus, and it's incredible building and crescendo abilities. ]

Just thought this quote was deserving of its own topic. A statement of merit? Or perhaps just misguided?

Now I am hardly qualified to comment, being a piano performance major at the Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music (I mean sheesh, I would like an expert to weigh in here), but in my opinion, while the two are related in that they are both music, the two have very little to do with one another, especially in structure.

What is your opinion?

Now, since I have obviously have no experience in these matters, can somebody show me what techno music has in common with a specific peice of classical repretoire, going measure by measure, in terms of harmonic structure, the periods and antecedents, the cadences, etc? Especially enlightening would be anything regarding "incredible building and crescendo abilities" and anything relating to a use of a "chorus"....

Can someone help inform me here?

Apr 19, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 28
Well for any good argument I think you would have to set the definitions of both "Classical" and "Techno".

I'm hardly an expert in either category of music but they both seem to encompass very large and differing sub styles under their umbrellas.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 28
I would think the easiest way to do this is to listen to a techno/trance/electronic/whathaveyou track that is a reworked arrangement of a classical song. The first thing that pops into my head is "Adagio for Strings", originally composed by Samuel Barber and eventually reworked by DJ Tiesto and Ferry Corsten, to name a couple.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capital R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would think the easiest way to do this is to listen to a techno/trance/electronic/whathaveyou track that is a reworked arrangement of a classical song. The first thing that pops into my head is "Adagio for Strings", originally composed by Samuel Barber and eventually reworked by DJ Tiesto and Ferry Corsten, to name a couple.

But that is not an original techno composition is it? Merely an arrangement of something. I suppose that would be very much an opinion thing though - for example, in my opinion, I don't think a classical arrangement of Sand Man is a classical peice.

When I say that is it not an original composition, I am referring to the structure - for while it very well may have different ornamentations and such, the structure of a re-worked peice would be copied from the classical peice, which would in effect not be considered "techno" form, if there is such a thing.

In fact, there is one major difference right there - I do not believe techno has comparable structures to sonata form, concerto form, madrigals, motets, etc.

I suppose the most accurate comparison would be rather general - both classical and techno peices can be either strophic or through composed, but that can be said of any music.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 28
alot of producers/composers have switched between the 2,

it explains why i like both quite alot, i have long thought that the 2 are linked.

people dismiss it instantly if you say it often

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But that is not an original techno composition is it? Merely an arrangement of something. I suppose that would be very much an opinion thing though - for example, in my opinion, I don't think a classical arrangement of Sand Man is a classical peice.

You're right, it's not an original composition, but it is very similar to many original compositions by electronic artists in terms of tempo, structure, harmonic/octave progression, etc. I'd call it an introduction to the study of electronic music when coming from a classical standpoint.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
alot of producers/composers have switched between the 2,

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the majority of classical composers dead? (post-modernists such as xenakis do not count, as there is still debate whether it is even music period, let alone classical)

There are very, very few modern composers whos works are considered of enough value to be performed publicly.

Which composers have switched between the two? I would be interested to hear both their techno and classical works.

edit: I should have said major classical composers (although technically, the majority are dead...)

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 28
I think the argument in the OP can be applied to all kinds of music. You could probably arbitrarily pick a few criteria that show a strong link between techno and classical, but overall I don't think techno/trance has a stronger relationship with classical music than other genres, if not for the fact that I like the latter and can't stand the former.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could probably arbitrarily pick a few criteria that show the link between techno and classical, but overall I don't think techno/trance has a stronger relationship with classical music than other genres.

This is what I was trying to say.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 28
Classical is a bit more specific IMO. Classical, doesn't that refer to CLASSIC music, like Bach, etc? Wouldn't a better comparison be electronic and orchestral? Both are very unspecific, and you can have a broader range of comparison as each of thier respective genres encompasses the various specificities (?)....

That said, you could really compare anything, seeing as how all have an opening, climax, and close...and if neither have singer, it makes it that much easier....I dunno...talking out my butt again, lol.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Classical is a bit more specific IMO. Classical, doesn't that refer to CLASSIC music, like Bach, etc? Wouldn't a better comparison be electronic and orchestral? Both are very unspecific, and you can have a broader range of comparison as each of thier respective genres encompasses the various specificities (?)....

Well, classic music doesn't neccessarily have to be old. Check out Benjamin Britten. While there is not a lot of them, there are some modern classical composers.

Quote:

That said, you could really compare anything, seeing as how all have an opening, climax, and close...and if neither have singer, it makes it that much easier....I dunno...talking out my butt again, lol.

THe biggest difference that I see is that classical music is almost never arbitrarily composed; there is nearly almost a set structure to follow, be it a fugue, concerto, sonata, whatever. You can break the rules selectively, but you still have the overall form. Heck, even Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, which is extremely unorthodox, is technically a rhapsody.

To make techno music, you could technically get a computer generated beat and throw in random beeps and pitch changes.

Apr 19, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #12 of 28
Cannot think of anything Techno that could be considered both an original composition and built on classical mechanics. I would perhaps consider people like Jean Michel Jarre and Vangelis to have blurred the edges with their work?

Jean Michel Jarre started with Classical studies, became a pioneer of the electronic movement but with much of the melodic and harmonic structure intact in his early work. He then starts to incorporate more rhythmic elements into his early 80's work. This then inspires other electronic musicians to evolve the genre, early Techno is born in the mid 80's....Jarre then likes what he hears and his late 80's, early 90's albums become Techno influenced. Techno evolves into many other sub genres.

Techno does use polyrhythm, arpeggios (glissando), polka-like rhythm construction, any cross-over to 19th/20th century classical? It also uses syncopation and that is not particularly classical?

Note the ??? as my music theory is rusty as I have not used it in a disciplined way for 20 years
confused.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #13 of 28
lol good stuff. I'm amused that you decided to make a thread about this. Good stuff
biggrin.gif

And no, I never thought techno resembled Classical. Lots of electronica sample classical music very often, and that's about all the similarities end IMO.

But what do I know? I'm a psyc student
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2008 at 12:39 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read a thought provoking quote by one of our most well respected members, cash68, that stated

eek.gif
tongue.gif
rolleyes.gif
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back