The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Mar 5, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #3,947 of 4,201
On the chance that no one is using these Russian 9-pin triodes... Maybe they might be worth trying?

6С19П
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6s19p.html

6С45П
https://www.radiomuseum.org/tubes/tube_6s45p.html

(I don't know anything about these... I just stumbled upon them recently.... )
The 6S19P is actually a great output tube and competent 6080/6AS7 sub in my OTLs. They seem to be quite similar to the GEC A2293, not quite equivalent but very similar nonetheless.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #3,948 of 4,201
Looking for impressions on the “Metal” version of the VT-94 made by Sylvania. I just came across two affordable quads for sale and am wondering if these stand out in the crowd (or not). I had put out many inquiries for the Tung Sol glass version recently discussed but so far nothing. These metal VT’s were measured at NOS somI thought they might be worth picking up “just because”.

Mar 6, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #3,949 of 4,201
While not exactly in the same vein as any of the 6J5 Triodes, does anyone have any experience with a 6SC7? (Predecessor to 6SL7). Felt this was as good a place to ask as any.

Specifically looking for insights into the WWII era Tung-Sol black glass round plates

http://vinylsavor.blogspot.com/2011/06/tube-of-month-6sc7.html?m=1

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #3,950 of 4,201
Looking for impressions on the “Metal” version of the VT-94 made by Sylvania. I just came across two affordable quads for sale and am wondering if these stand out in the crowd (or not). I had put out many inquiries for the Tung Sol glass version recently discussed but so far nothing. These metal VT’s were measured at NOS somI thought they might be worth picking up “just because”.
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 6J5. All the US 6J5 I hold in high regard - metal base or ST type. Half the fun is obtaining them and giving them a try. Luckily the US versions can still be had for good prices. The trick is finding a matching quad.

Mar 7, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #3,951 of 4,201
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 6J5. All the US 6J5 I hold in high regard - metal base or ST type. Half the fun is obtaining them and giving them a try. Luckily the US versions can still be had for good prices. The trick is finding a matching quad.
Personally, and I know this may be sacrilegious to some 😀. But I don’t concern myself unduly about matched quads, and the quads shown were bought from different vendors. The Osram is 12.1/2.3, impossible to discern any differences.

IMG_0826.jpeg

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #3,955 of 4,201
Mar 7, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #3,956 of 4,201
Personally, and I know this may be sacrilegious to some 😀. But I don’t concern myself unduly about matched quads, and the quads shown were bought from different vendors. The Osram is 12.1/2.3, impossible to discern any differences.

I think those are matched :) Probably just different stickers and markings.

Edit: I see the confusion. When I said "matched" I meant "matched construction". I also don't care whether the tubes are matched testing

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #3,957 of 4,201
These tubes were rebranded under many different names, including FoMoCo and Philco.
Metal base, tall tube, the big clip on top and three letters/numbers etched under the logo all identify these Sylvania tubes.
Well I went ahead and picked up the FoMoCo branded Sylvania’s and dropped them in for a couple of plays last night- so far they’re sounding really nice!

IMG_0814.jpeg

These definitely provide a different texture to things but I think it’s going to require more listening to fully grasp the nuances. They are different from the 40’s GE metal tubes I had started with. While they produce a good low end response I think they are a little more relaxed in all areas than the previous tubes. Interestingly though they seem to have more similarities with the 50’s KenRad 6SN7GT’s I’ve been using for the past few weeks. More to come..

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #3,960 of 4,201
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back