The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
May 4, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #2,942 of 4,244
Yes this. Pricewise, the best value / bang for the buck for L63 there.
Pricewise, yes they are a bargain and perhaps a good introduction into the L63 / 6J5G family.
Personally I've never found them to get me excited. Many here would disagree so perhaps it's me and my ears. YMMV

At 65 GBP the Brimar 6J5G are, IMO, crazy good and still a relative bargain.

May 4, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #2,943 of 4,244
Pricewise, yes they are a bargain and perhaps a good introduction into the L63 / 6J5G family.
Personally I've never found them to get me excited. Many here would disagree so perhaps it's me and my ears. YMMV

Interesting, what is the best metal version of the 6J5 tube? I see they have a 6C5V that looks interesting. Not su8re if it is a 1 to 1 replacement though.

May 4, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #2,945 of 4,244
Quick question for you tube's veteran.
Just got this quad Marconi H63 from Langrex, seems 3 of the tubes are missing 2 of the 7 pins.
Is this normal or they are defective?

Attachments

• 20230504_163705.jpg
    20230504_163705.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
May 5, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #2,948 of 4,244
Quick question for you tube's veteran.
Just got this quad Marconi H63 from Langrex, seems 3 of the tubes are missing 2 of the 7 pins.
Is this normal or they are defective?
I wish I didn't read this

....well whats another pair of converters :slight_smile:

May 5, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #2,950 of 4,244
Interesting, what is the best metal version of the 6J5 tube? I see they have a 6C5V that looks interesting. Not su8re if it is a 1 to 1 replacement though.
They are all good. The US versions are still cheap. Most seem to be very early versions with black plates and foil getters. Check out the prices of early 6SN7 with that type of construction... Brimar, Mullard and Osram/GEC will cost you more. Also be careful with cross-branding. I have Brimars labeled Mullard and Mullards labeled Brimar 🤦‍♂️

May 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #2,952 of 4,244
I saw Mrs X having dual converters, but yeah that seems abit too high, thanks for informing me
Glad to...nevertheless, you could still give it a try as it works very well on both of my amp.
Both of my amp have 2 input stages though and 2nd stage with parallel connected sockets, cant say how well they will perform in twins, in a series connected socket or in a single input stage amp.
This is how I run it...single tube in parallel connected socket.

20230506_005756.jpg

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,953 of 4,244

It's not just you, over time I have decided I don't care for them either. They're excellent technical performers......... resolving and well balanced, but there is something analytical and sterile about their presentation that doesn't work for me. It's not really a tone thing either because I would not characterize them as dry sounding. It's something else...... something that's hard to put your finger on.

They are an excellent value for sure if you are looking for a good technical performer.

May 5, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #2,954 of 4,244
It's not just you, over time I have decided I don't care for them either. They're excellent technical performers......... resolving and well balanced, but there is something analytical and sterile about their presentation that doesn't work for me. It's not really a tone thing either because I would not characterize them as dry sounding. It's something else...... something that's hard to put your finger on.

They are an excellent value for sure if you are looking for a good technical performer.

I'll play. Full disclosure, they are my favorites (also the most expensive driver/input tubes I own) but I would say in my experience they can come across a little bright with an unsympathetic rectifier and/or power tubes. But in most cases the "excellent technical performance" is exactly what I'm looking for. They are TOTL for imaging and dynamics. If want a little more "warm and tubey" I usually go with Type 37 or 76. This holds true for my WA22 and 300B speaker amp. And of course everyone has different tastes yada yada.

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #2,955 of 4,244
I'll play. Full disclosure, they are my favorites (also the most expensive driver/input tubes I own) but I would say in my experience they can come across a little bright with an unsympathetic rectifier and/or power tubes. But in most cases the "excellent technical performance" is exactly what I'm looking for. They are TOTL for imaging and dynamics. If want a little more "warm and tubey" I usually go with Type 37 or 76. This holds true for my WA22 and 300B speaker amp. And of course everyone has different tastes yada yada.
If you haven't already you might enjoy trying a black plate Sylvania too. Imaging and dynamics are also that tube's strong points, especially the 6J5G version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back