The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #1,126 of 4,244
Is Neotron the best 6J5G tube? Someone claimed they are better than other 6J5G tubes.

Has anyone tried them? Are they similar to VISSEAUX 6J5G / 6J5MG ? This blog post says Neotrons are good but 6J5V RTs are even better.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #1,127 of 4,244
Is Neotron the best 6J5G tube? Someone claimed they are better than other 6J5G tubes.

Has anyone tried them? Are they similar to VISSEAUX 6J5G / 6J5MG ? This blog post says Neotrons are good but 6J5V RTs are even better.
Different strokes for different folks..

Dec 31, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,131 of 4,244
Question for the experts - since I am on a raytheon kick right now, and the mention of Langrex. They have this CV1932 tube - what is the wrapping there in the middle? It looks like an extra rubber or plastic sleeve right above the base? Is it for extra support/protection or something?

1609463633196.png

Dec 31, 2020 at 11:42 PM Post #1,132 of 4,244
Question for the experts - since I am on a raytheon kick right now, and the mention of Langrex. They have this CV1932 tube - what is the wrapping there in the middle? It looks like an extra rubber or plastic sleeve right above the base? Is it for extra support/protection or something?

1609463633196.png
I've seen the likes of those grey plastic collars on a few military as well as non-military designation tubes. I also have some Sylvania VT-231 with brown plastic collars. To the best of my knowledge, they were used to reinforce the plastic base and prevent it from coming loose, perhaps necessary in military equipment where the tubes are subject to a lot of vibration. Another possibility is that this was a way of repairing such loose bases.

Jan 1, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #1,133 of 4,244

Well, KenRad is listed as the brand so presumably that's the marking on the other side of the tube that we can't see. Their own listing says it is RCA made, which I don't believe is correct either. The photo isn't good enough to be sure, especially without a top view of the mica, but that looks like a Brimar to me. None of the US made 6J5 tubes, at least none I have seen, had plates that wide and the mica support structures are consistent with the Brimar build too.

edit: somehow I typed KenRad when I meant to type Raytheon. Oops.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #1,134 of 4,244
Well, KenRad is listed as the brand so presumably that's the marking on the other side of the tube that we can't see. Their own listing says it is RCA made, which I don't believe is correct either. The photo isn't good enough to be sure, especially without a top view of the mica, but that looks like a Brimar to me. None of the US made 6J5 tubes, at least none I have seen, had plates that wide and the mica support structures are consistent with the Brimar build too.

Like @Xcalibur255 says, that is a Brimar-made 6J5G. The gray thingamajig is to keep a loose tube base in place.

Jan 1, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,137 of 4,244
Here's an interesting specimen:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RCA-Victor...657796?hash=item1aaaeab384:g:UTQAAOSwylpfrAja

I get the feeling this tube was meant for specialized equipment back in the day. It's the first time I've seen an ST version with a metal shell.
I had a few of these metal-clad tubes in a garage-sale box of old tubes from a retired airforce gentleman. From memory there was a 6J7G, 6A8G and 6C6G tube in them. For the metal shells on my tubes at least, It seems that the steel wire which held the halves together had been taken on and off a few times with several scratch marks, so the tubes inside may well have been replaceable.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #1,138 of 4,244
I've seen the likes of those grey plastic collars on a few military as well as non-military designation tubes. I also have some Sylvania VT-231 with brown plastic collars. To the best of my knowledge, they were used to reinforce the plastic base and prevent it from coming loose, perhaps necessary in military equipment where the tubes are subject to a lot of vibration. Another possibility is that this was a way of repairing such loose bases.
I have a few tubes with the same plastic collar. I believe they were added when the tube was produced - as you say for reinforcement, and not later for repair.

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #1,139 of 4,244
I have a few tubes with the same plastic collar. I believe they were added when the tube was produced - as you say for reinforcement, and not later for repair.

Sorry if I was mistaken, come to think of it I haven't seen compelling evidence that they were for repair. Have you seen them in NIB tubes before?

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #1,140 of 4,244
I have been playing around with my new curve tracer, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to trace some of the 6J5 / 6C5 tubes in my collection and post them here. I did the L63 the other night, as expected it is very linear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back