The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jan 24, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #3,575 of 4,244
But when you listen to live music, acoustical, you don't hear as much detail as when using Siemens C3g via headphones. :wink: The sound from different instruments blend into each other in a way audiophiles won't accept :L3000::tired_face::smile:

Good call. I often say the best recordings are better than live, because you hear things you just can't at a concert. But that is JMO, YMMV and all that.

Jan 24, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #3,577 of 4,244
Good call. I often say the best recordings are better than live, because you hear things you just can't at a concert. But that is JMO, YMMV and all that.
The same things happen if you see a photo of a view you just have seen. You see a lot more detail. It's not about right or wrong, it's about different and what you prefer.

Jan 24, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #3,582 of 4,244
@Isaacc7 are the Cossor 6C5G fairly detailed and a little more sizzle on the top than most 6J5?

I have STC 5A /152M and C3G paired with Elrog TM 300B that I find extract a ton of detail.
I love detail over warmth !!!!
While all the cool kids collect British shoulder style tubes there are some more pedestrian tubes that I think are better if you value detail. In particular the Raytheon 6j5wgt and round plate Sylvania 6j5gt are both excellent detail retrievers and significantly cheaper than British tubes. I know that we tend to associate older tubes with better sound but I think there’s something to be said for more modern processes and designs too. The German c3g, c3m, etc. being prime examples of mature technology being combined with decades of experience to produce exceptional tubes. It’s probable that by the mid 60s just about anything that could be known about vacuum tubes had been figured out. We then entered the long decline in tube manufacturing knowledge.

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #3,583 of 4,244
While all the cool kids collect British shoulder style tubes there are some more pedestrian tubes that I think are better if you value detail. In particular the Raytheon 6j5wgt and round plate Sylvania 6j5gt are both excellent detail retrievers and significantly cheaper than British tubes. I know that we tend to associate older tubes with better sound but I think there’s something to be said for more modern processes and designs too. The German c3g, c3m, etc. being prime examples of mature technology being combined with decades of experience to produce exceptional tubes. It’s probable that by the mid 60s just about anything that could be known about vacuum tubes had been figured out. We then entered the long decline in tube manufacturing knowledge.
Thanks, Isaacc!
I don't need any more tubes so I'll pass on the Cossor 6C5G and more 6J5's. I think I'm looking to solve a problem that I don't have. I'm thrilled with the Siemens c3g and the STC/ ITT 5A / 152M as well as the G73-r and will try to be happy with what I have and stop chasing tubes!

Jan 24, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #3,584 of 4,244
I am the Garbage Collector. I buy in bulk tubes others throw away. I leave the NOS NIB for audiophiles.
This is the most beautiful garbage I have ever seen my friend!
1706127055731.png

Please tell me where I can collect some of this garbage with you! :sweat_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back