The Reference 6J5 Thread (L63, 6C5, 12J5, 6P5, etc.)
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #1,561 of 4,201
I have a similar looking Russian tube with the British CV1934 label on it. This was previously sitting in a guy's warehouse for about 30 years in country Australia, so more evidence these are unlikely to be 'fakes'. It looks like 6J5 tubes were not only prominently rebranded but also imported.
4EA1E425-0C17-49EA-8E7A-E69B14426C5C.jpeg

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:53 PM Post #1,563 of 4,201
I agree with you. I did the same research - I came across a pair of CEI "Made In Japan" 6J5s on ebay and they also look identical to the Nevs 6S2S. As such the pair was selling for 40 dollars. The NEVS pair (same as your picture) was 15.

If they are like the Pinnacle 6J5s, @bcowen has them and likes them for certain genres I believe.
Yup, I bought a dozen Pinnacles (for about $70 total) on a whim, and they are most definitely Russian with UFO getters. Not sure of factory or vintage as I haven't really researched them. I like them though! Not an uber tube by any means, but overall a dynamic and punchy sound with full bass and an extended top end that never gets too hot. Great for rock and metal, but missing some bloom and tubeliness in the mids when playing less raucous stuff. They are similar in stature (to me) as the Foton 6N8S -- not going to knock any top tier tube off its perch, but play very nicely for a cheap tube.

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #1,564 of 4,201
Yup, I bought a dozen Pinnacles (for about $70 total) on a whim, and they are most definitely Russian with UFO getters. Not sure of factory or vintage as I haven't really researched them. I like them though! Not an uber tube by any means, but overall a dynamic and punchy sound with full bass and an extended top end that never gets too hot. Great for rock and metal, but missing some bloom and tubeliness in the mids when playing less raucous stuff. They are similar in stature (to me) as the Foton 6N8S -- not going to knock any top tier tube off its perch, but play very nicely for a cheap tube.

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg
Should we infer that you are a cheap tube dude?

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #1,566 of 4,201

Oddly enough, in golf the Pinnacles were a “distance” ball that were hard as stones - for many, they replaced the Top-Flites aka Rock-Flites. The Pinnacles went far, were no good for the short game, and felt like crap when putting....Did the tubes come three in a sleeve?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,571 of 4,201
Jun 11, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #1,572 of 4,201
Oddly enough, in golf the Pinnacles were a “distance” ball that were hard as stones - for many, they replaced the Top-Flites aka Rock-Flites. The Pinnacles went far, were no good for the short game, and felt like crap when putting....Did the tubes come three in a sleeve?
No, but there were 12 in the shipping box when I opened it. Does that count?

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #1,573 of 4,201
So far I have found two Russian factories that made the 6S2S - NEVS /Novosibirsk and Fonon (Foton?)

I just thought of your post as I am going through eBay right now. There are sellers who make the distinction between foton and fonon. There is a seller whom I bought from who is selling both types (6sn7 variant) that the tubes have different internal constructions...leads me to believe they are different. (I Could be wrong) but I had never heard of fonon until now either.

Jun 15, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,574 of 4,201
I have one WIZARD 6J5GT where I cannot identify the manufacturer - maybe somebody can help with who made this tube?
Western Auto was a chain that sold Truetone radios among many other things. Their tubes were labeled WIZARD but apparently sourced from several different manufacturers.
The tube says Made In USA and has a code - perhaps March 1940/50?
_
P0
1623780272340.png

(Pardon the dust - Scotch tape has been around for a long time)
1623780391267.png

Copper rods

1623780564046.png

Very distinct type top mica with cutouts; the left side has a black metal band extending down and connecting to the plate. The black blotch on top is anode boil-off but only indicating a used tube and nothing to worry about.

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:25 PM Post #1,575 of 4,201
I have one WIZARD 6J5GT where I cannot identify the manufacturer - maybe somebody can help with who made this tube?
Western Auto was a chain that sold Truetone radios among many other things. Their tubes were labeled WIZARD but apparently sourced from several different manufacturers.
The tube says Made In USA and has a code - perhaps March 1940/50?
_
P0
1623780272340.png
(Pardon the dust - Scotch tape has been around for a long time)
1623780391267.png
Copper rods

1623780564046.png
Very distinct type top mica with cutouts; the left side has a black metal band extending down and connecting to the plate. The black blotch on top is anode boil-off but only indicating a used tube and nothing to worry about.

I am no expert but the only thing I'll throw out there for the experts to consider is that the only time i've seen that cut out mica is in the Ken Rad 6J5GT like the one pictured in the consolidated list. However, it appears as the bottom mica, not the top:

kenrad_6j5gt.JPG

I only realized this - I myself am trying to identify some unknown tubes as well that I just acquired which closely match these ken-rads. But - I have never, however, seen them at the top like the wizards. However, per usual - I could be completely off base. But just an observation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back