The record industry spent $3 billion on pay-online music ventures; made back $1 mil
Feb 28, 2002 at 6:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

redshifter

High Fidelity Gentility• redrum....I mean redshifter• Pee-pee. Hoo-hoo.• I ♥ Garfield
Online music losing serious money

i thought head-fiers would be interested in this story. here's a section about the digital format:

Quote:

In fact, the music industry has spent the past two decades diminishing the experience of recorded music, whether reducing the size and merit of most CD packaging to the point where it's too paltry to invite lasting curiosity or proffering the often thin and tinny sound of digital music as if it's a "perfect" product.

A casual survey of top artists this writer has recently visited in studios revealed that analog recording is regularly preferred due to the myriad aural attributes of that process, regardless of whether the final music is (however reluctantly) poured into a digital mold for buyers. Until the day that U2, Yo-Yo Ma, or McCoy Tyner are willing to trade their master tapes with any passerby for either the downloaded, burned, or commercially purchased copies of those same recordings, you can be certain that corporate pronouncements about the vast marketplace value of digital music are all saddle and no horse.

sorry in advance for the popups, but i found this story very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back