the reason I've stuck with canalphones over IEMs (correct me if I'm wrong)
Aug 29, 2006 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coffeeaddict

Head-Fier
**edited to fix my poor terminology XD, mods please fix title

is that, from what I understand (never having had the pleasure of owning a pair of IEMs) is that with IEMs you can't "just pull the things out". On-the-go, which is when I'd be using in-ear buds or canalphones, I'll be on transit or at school-- and at those places, the chances of needing to pull one or both sides out is high. When you're in motion, the odds of needing or wanting to talk to someone are high, and you can't generally talk to people with IEMs or in-ear buds on.

But luckily, in-ear buds are easy to pop in-and-out. From what I understand, though, IEMs require a two-handed, somewhat awkward and time-consuming maneuver to put in. It is for this reason that I've never gotten a pair of IEMs (despite how tempting they sound.)

I guess what I'm asking is, am I wrong in thinking this? Are IEMs quick and easy to put in and out with a little practice? Is the advantage in isolation and sound quality worth it?

Aug 29, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 6
I take canalphones (when opposed to IEMs) to mean CX300-style phones. Yes, IEMs are more of a hassle to put in and take out, though it depends a bit on the sleeves you use. The silicon tips are easier to manage than flange or foam ones- I can put them in one-handed and fiddle with them as necessary to improve the seal. But tips which go in further take more insertion and are more likely to come out covered in gunk (which raises storage issues).
plainface.gif

Aug 29, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes. Canalphone = IEM. what you are refered to is in-ear earbud.

IEM can be quick to take out, if you are using say the Shure grey silicon tips. Those are quick to take out and put in.

It only gets more tougher if you are using tri-flange or foams. Those takes some more time to put in or take out.

Aug 29, 2006 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 6
On my er6i's it takes a few seconds to get them in, but taking them out isn't really a hassle.
etysmile.gif
I use foam tips, they rawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back