The Raptor has landed! My first impressions - and a very long post
Aug 24, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #31 of 37
Going from (almost) anything to a Raptor is NOT negligible.

This is one amp that stands out from anything else I have ever heard.

If you ever get the chance to hear one, you will then understand.

Aug 24, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #32 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I really don't understand the exuberance people display when they receive a new amp.

If an amp is doing it's job, you shouldn't hear it anyway...also, the difference between lower-end amps and +$1000 amps is almost negligible. Use an ABx switchbox if you disbelieve me.

If you want a tube sound out of solid state, you can just swap in LT1028, LT1122, or AD8397...ABx it against the raptor, I bet you won't be able to tell the difference.

Sources and headphones I understand...but not amps.

That's a bit strange. The signal path from your source to yours ears passes through the circuitry of an amplifier and the amplifier colors the sound like anything else. It takes a crap on the signal like anything else does. Thus one hears differences. They are all doing the job of amplifying, true, but they all color the sound differently and to varying degrees.

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:03 AM Post #33 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by pabbi1
Going from (almost) anything to a Raptor is NOT negligible.

Especially when you keep in mind my former "home" amp was my MINT pocket amp
wink.gif

Sean H, i noted from your sig you own the Ack! Dack! 2.0, could you provide any impressions on its sound, either here or via PM? I'm considering it as my next upgrade (which will be a NOS dac of some sort), and would love to know more about it, especially in conjunction with the Raptor if you have any experience there.

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:21 AM Post #34 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Covenant
Especially when you keep in mind my former "home" amp was my MINT pocket amp
wink.gif

Sean H, i noted from your sig you own the Ack! Dack! 2.0, could you provide any impressions on its sound, either here or via PM? I'm considering it as my next upgrade (which will be a NOS dac of some sort), and would love to know more about it, especially in conjunction with the Raptor if you have any experience there.

MINT > RAAPTOR? That's a quantum leap!!

Hey Covenent, I'm surprised your wallet has recovered so soon...I also want to buy a nice DAC (maybe benchmark DAC1) but no money!

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:30 AM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi

you realise a quantum leap is a reallllllly tiny distance?

Aug 25, 2005 at 10:31 AM Post #36 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chungsoi

Hey Covenent, I'm surprised your wallet has recovered so soon...I also want to buy a nice DAC (maybe benchmark DAC1) but no money!

Ha, you think its recovered?
lambda.gif

Nowhere near it, i'm afraid. But a good DAC is next on my shopping list, so i like to start reading/researching/asking oppinions early.

Edit: Jazper, don't be such a naysayer
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back