The quest for the most comfortable headphones.
Oct 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GhoXen

New Head-Fier
I foresee a storm of marathon gaming, and my trusty surround sound speakers won't be with me. And so I'm on a quest for the most comfortable headphones! Since my headphones will primarily be used for voice communications (already have standalone mic), audio quality is significantly less important than comfort - I'm expecting to wear them for several hours at a time.

I've read some reviews in the past few days and right now I have my eyes set on either Razer Carcharias or Audio Technica ATH-AD300/500/700. It's rather apparent that an AD700 will offer superior sound quality over an AD300, but is there any difference in terms of comfort between those three AT headphones? It'd be especially helpful if someone who has personally worn them can give a subjective opinion. If those aren't good choices, can anyone recommend some even more comfortable headphones?

Thanks in advance!

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 11
The Senn HD5XX series is really comfy, IMO.  Good soundstage too, so gamers like them.

For the ultimate in comfort, I would nominate the Sony MD-F1's.  I don't know if they're still made, but I've seen them on Ebay recently and they can still be ordered online. For almost 5 years I wore them 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, without ever even having the urge to take them off.  They're just that comfortable.  Plus, they sound great.  Even if they sounded like ****, they'd be worth it for the comfort alone. They have to be one of the most comfortable headphones ever made.

Oct 31, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 11
The AD700s are certainly comfortable, and I'd expect all other models in the same series to be no different.

The Stax Lambda line is even more comfortable, but that's likely far more money than you're willing to spend for a voice chat headphone.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 11
If you're a serious gamer, looking to buy something on the ATH line. I say go for the AD900's for superior comfort. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 11
If you only want the most comfortable, these go for me straight to the top:

Sony MDR-F1

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Full-Open-Air-Headphones-Impedance-Compensator/dp/B000095SA1

Unparalled wearing comfort for me, but they are fully open, so perhaps not the best for gaming / lan parties.

But comfort:

- no sweating
 - light
 - don't press on ears
 - don't press on top of the head

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #9 of 11
Nov 1, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #11 of 11

Quote:
At $150 ish, it's not very expensive compared to other headphones.

Bose is usually expensive where i live, but yeah at $150 its good. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back