The quest for the best balanced interconnect under $70
Nov 7, 2006 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
Since my Dynamight DIY project is nearly finished, I'm starting to search for the ultimate low-cost balanced interconnect for this amplifier.
smily_headphones1.gif
My candidates are listed below. I would welcome any idea or recommendation. If you suggest any other cable, please keep the budget down, no more than $100.

The cable should be neutral and smooth, maybe little on the warm side (I hate bright and sibilant presentation). I would gladly retain the signature of Audiogeek Nitrogens. The cable is intended for the system listed in my signature. I would rather take a design employed by professionals (recording studios, etc.) than some unknown esoteric "high-end" product.

My current favorites are Mogami and Blue Jeans Cable. I would take Mogami, but the shortest length is 3 feet, which is still too long, ideal would be 2 feet.

Balanced XLR interconnects for Dynamight

Candidates:
  1. Blue Jeans Cable - Belden 1800F (http://www.bluejeanscable.com)
2 feet, $49.00
  1. Mogami - Gold AES/EBU (various retailers)
3 feet min., from $31.95
  1. River Cable - DigiFlex Gold Pro Cable (http://www.rivercable.com)
0.5 meter, $49.99
  1. Signal Cable - Analog Two Balanced (http://signalcable.com)
2 feet, $59.00
  1. Moon Audio (http://www.moon-audio.com)
a) Cardas Crosslink, 1.5 feet, $60
b) DH Labs SILVER SONIC BL-1, 1.5 feet, $70
Thanks for any input!

Nov 8, 2006 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 9
Many people seem to hype Mogami, claiming that "it's what studios use." As a studio worker, I know that doesn't mean anything, and that not all studios use it.

If I had a need for an XLR cable, I'd buy it from Blue Jeans Cable. My university just built a several million dollar studio, and it's meant to last decades, so they made sure to pick the best of everything. All of the XLR cables were made with bulk Belden cable and a combination of Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors, with Neutrik being preferred. Coincidentally (or not), Blue Jeans Cable's XLR cable seems to follow these specifications.

Plus, I'm biased. I've had great experiences with BJC, both the cables and the company
biggrin.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks infinitesymphony.
I don't necessarily insist on cables that studios use. It only appeared reasonable to me.
Another good thing about Blue Jeans Cable is that they will custom made any length I need, starting at 1 foot
eek.gif
with 0.5 foot increments.

Nevertheless I would like to hear about sonic differences between the cables. Surely some head-fiers must have compared interconnects in this category and price range.
confused.gif

EDIT: I've added a poll where you can express your opinion.

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 9
No one? I understand that asking for a balanced cable under $100 which by definition connects to a multi-thousand system is a bit off, but c'mon - everyone must have started somewhere...
tongue.gif

Or is that caused by common lower experience with balanced interconnects?

Nov 9, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak
No one? I understand that asking for a balanced cable under $100 which by definition connects to a multi-thousand system is a bit off, but c'mon - everyone must have started somewhere...
tongue.gif

Or is that caused by common lower experience with balanced interconnects?

Apogee wide eye suppose to be very good balanced interconnects, slightly over 100 dollars i think, they start at 150 or so...if you have a multi thousand setup, it doesn't hurt to try the wide eyes...very good cable.

in europe the wyde eye xlr would cost ya 140 euro's for a 1 meter pair.

For that money i would defenately go for the apogee wyde eyes, hard to beat for that money and even better then some more expensive cables as well!

Nov 20, 2006 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the tips, after some hesitation I decided to go with the Blue Jeans Cable. Their cables should be well-built and the price is fair. There can be (and most probably will be) a pricier interconnect in the future, I just need a decent one for starters.
biggrin.gif

May 19, 2007 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the tips, after some hesitation I decided to go with the Blue Jeans Cable. Their cables should be well-built and the price is fair. There can be (and most probably will be) a pricier interconnect in the future, I just need a decent one for starters.
biggrin.gif

Just ordered 2 x 5 metres myself from BJC.

May 19, 2007 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Karlosak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

BJC is great and if for any reason you are not satisfied they have a no questions asked return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back