The Qudelix-5K thread
Mar 28, 2023 at 8:41 AM Post #3,931 of 4,753
Anybody have advice for amplifying the mic on the Qudelix 5K? It's maxed out in Windows and in the app, not sure if that's another way I can get more volume out of it?

I know it's meant to clip onto your shirt, I'm trying to use it directly in front of me on my desk.

It's been an amazing little device and I'm trying to replace my desktop mic for games with this for a really clean setup.

Mar 28, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #3,932 of 4,753
Anybody have advice for amplifying the mic on the Qudelix 5K? It's maxed out in Windows and in the app, not sure if that's another way I can get more volume out of it?

I know it's meant to clip onto your shirt, I'm trying to use it directly in front of me on my desk.

It's been an amazing little device and I'm trying to replace my desktop mic for games with this for a really clean setup.
A lavalier/lapel style mic isn't going to be able to pick you up from that kind of a distance because the diaphragm isn't made for it. Unfortunately. It'd be like trying to use your phone from that far away without putting it in speaker mode.

Mar 30, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #3,936 of 4,753
My Qudelix-5K only seem to charges up to 70% when I set it to charge to 80% is that normal? so If I set it to 100% it charges to 90?
When limited to 80% it only does the CC(constant current) stage skipping entirely the CV(constant voltage) charging stage, and as a result the voltage will drop after the charge has finished. I get around 73% when the voltage settles after some time.
When charging to 100%, both CC and CV stages come in play, so it will be at 100% when finished, or close to that depending on age/condition of the battery.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #3,937 of 4,753
I can already see my replacement (I purchased, not a warranty) starting to change the appearance of the plastic where the heat source is.

IMG_2073.jpg

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #3,938 of 4,753
I can already see my replacement (I purchased, not a warranty) starting to change the appearance of the plastic where the heat source is.

IMG_2073.jpg
That is very disappointing to see. Mine is from their first batch produced, still has good battery life, and shows no such discoloration.
- I wonder if your charger has some sort of mismatch with the 5K is somehow charging the battery too fast, or to much? I would try a different charger.
- Only wonder, because no way should a new 5K do this. Can you feel it getting hot during charging?
- I switched mine to 80% max charge to avoid overcharging and maybe get some longer battery life too. (It's as battery setting in the APP)

Mar 31, 2023 at 8:20 PM Post #3,940 of 4,753
I'm running single ended performance + high gain + eq + running it basically at fully titl because of the EQ. JVC HW-FX1 are the headphone.
Is that the Battery side of the 5K getting hot? Or is it the Amp Side? Trying to figure is this is the Battery, or the AMP getting Hot.
- Does it get Hot when playing Music? If you're adding BASS to already "maxed" out settings that would be even more power draw, and battery drain. Most player mfrs don't recommend raising BASS in EQ, but recommend lowering the other frequencies to get the same EQ effect of bass boost.
- I wonder if the AMP is "clipping" with all the power you're asking from it? (distorted highs, and a hot amp would be likely)
- Might be better to get a balanced cable? You will get more power, spread over 2 amps instead of 1. That would probably run cooler? ( Though 2X the power won't give 2X the preceived volume increase. 2X more power(mw) will give 3db more volume. And it takes around 10db increase to sound twice as loud.)
- Since the 5K can provide the power for 2X Balanced output power, the battery should not get hot because you're pushing the Single Ended Amp. Though I'm not an amp expert by any means... I suppose it IS possible that with bass boost you could be draining so much power that either or both the battery and amp could be getting hot.

- Or Does it get hot when charging? (which would surely be the battery getting hot.) That could be from a bad charger, bad charging cable etc. I'd only charge with a low lower 5v 1A charger to avoid battery charging heating/problems.

I'm not familiar with that JVC headphone; they must be pretty low efficiency. I have the JVC HA-FDX1 IEMs from DROP, and for me they are plenty load on Low Gain.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:58 PM Post #3,941 of 4,753
I'm running single ended, performance mode + high gain + eq + running it basically at fully tilt because of the EQ. JVC HW-FX1 are the headphone.
How loud are you listening?

I’m not familiar with your particular IEM, but with any of my IEMs I’m always at under 25mV.

Listening to my 7Hz Timeless AE right now using the 5K wired to my iPhone in performance mode, balanced(so 2V) with a little EQ and it’s showing 7mV rms. IMG_0579.png

Apr 1, 2023 at 5:51 AM Post #3,943 of 4,753
How loud are you listening?

I’m not familiar with your particular IEM, but with any of my IEMs I’m always at under 25mV.

Listening to my 7Hz Timeless AE right now using the 5K wired to my iPhone in performance mode, balanced(so 2V) with a little EQ and it’s showing 7mV rms. IMG_0579.png
@jasonb & @M3NTAL
It is very interesting because it looks like you are both on the opposite sides of listening loudness.
I've check the impedance and sensitivity of your IEM's. In case of @M3NTAL I assume that you are using JVC HA-FX1X (correct me if I'm wrong but I didn't find JVC HW-FX1). They have similar parameters - 15..16 ohm and 104dB sensivity (I'm not sure if value is in dBV or dBmW because it is not clearly stated, and that may influence final SPL calculation) so:
- @jasonb listens at levels below 70dB
- @M3NTAL listens at levels about 120dB ...? (do you happen to use volume reduction on digital side and your "left bar" in Qudelix app doesn't show 0dB)
Qudelix app also show these type of basic calculation if you enter impedance and sensitivity in EQ profile or Volume/Option tab.
:wink:

Apr 1, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #3,945 of 4,753
I want to say there is the -6 for the system and something like -9 for the eq pre-amp. I listen at multiple volumes, but when it heats up is connected to USB & music playing (set at 80% power charging)
I’m not an electrical engineer but I think the pre-amp being set negative and having to turn the volume up shouldn’t effect anything. It shouldn’t make the unit any hotter than having the pre-amp set to 0 and the volume lower.

I’m pretty sure all that really matters is how much power is being used or supplied in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back