The Qudelix-5K thread
Nov 16, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #3,617 of 4,753
I still think this debate shows they should make a modular dockable. The "core" is a super simple 5K like what we have now. You can dock into a battery case with a volume knob and 4.4mm balanced out or a desktop unit with a big chunky knob, screen, and quarter-inch jack, etc. Everyone wins.
That's starting to make things expensive though. Selling the dock separately would be pointless and implementing all that functionality would just jack the price. I admit I've never even seen a "dockable" dac/amp unless you count the Chord Mojo/Poly combo.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #3,618 of 4,753
That's starting to make things expensive though. Selling the dock separately would be pointless and implementing all that functionality would just jack the price. I admit I've never even seen a "dockable" dac/amp unless you count the Chord Mojo/Poly combo.
They pass the data you'd need for this over USB already. I don't know that the 5K core unit itself has to meaningfully change except for a generic audio out to passthrough the dock. The docking units would be almost all physical hardware (knobs, jacks, battery) with a small microcontroller.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #3,620 of 4,753
Which I suppose would be only of use to a small number of buyers.

I love the fact all their time and money has been spent on function, not form
Is that true? What have they been spending their time on since launch? No major updates and they never released their desktop DAC/amp they had planned. Their forum is mostly unresponsive to feature requests.

Nov 16, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #3,622 of 4,753
They pass the data you'd need for this over USB already. I don't know that the 5K core unit itself has to meaningfully change except for a generic audio out to passthrough the dock. The docking units would be almost all physical hardware (knobs, jacks, battery) with a small microcontroller.
I feel like you don't really understand how production works if you think this is some easy peasy little change and that all the extra hardware/controller wouldn't add significantly to the cost.

Nov 16, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #3,623 of 4,753
I feel like you don't really understand how production works if you think this is some easy peasy little change and that all the extra hardware/controller wouldn't add significantly to the cost.
And I feel like you're needlessly shooting down ideas to further improve an already great product. I'm not suggesting it would be free or effortless. I'm suggesting the 5K itself wouldn't need to fundamentally change given how thoughtfully it's designed already and that the cost could be passed on to the accessories themselves. I'm a software engineer who has worked with hardware teams with nearly two decades of experience. It's not unreasonable given Qudelix was already planning a desktop amp and this could better justify that work while giving them a very unique product offering and value proposition that keeps them relevant as this market evolves.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #3,624 of 4,753
And I feel like you're needlessly shooting down ideas to further improve an already great product. I'm not suggesting it would be free or effortless. I'm suggesting the 5K itself wouldn't need to fundamentally change given how thoughtfully it's designed already and that the cost could be passed on to the accessories themselves. I'm a software engineer who has worked with hardware teams with nearly two decades of experience. It's not unreasonable given Qudelix was already planning a desktop amp and this could better justify that work while giving them a very unique product offering and value proposition that keeps them relevant as this market evolves.
You said it yourself. You're a software engineer. That means nothing right now, "worked with hardware teams" is like saying you know how to fly a plane because you "worked with planes" by doing engine maintenance. You don't have any extra expertise here.

Adding a bunch of stuff that would jack up the price would kill the 5k because its entire appeal right now is that it's sitting around the $100 mark where it can comfortably beat the ES100 and BTR5, and even if it were somehow possible to make the dock accessory without making any fundamental changes to the 5k itself (spoiler: it's not) Qudelix is such a small company that they literally only have one product available and frankly I'd rather see them put their limited resources into upgrades within the 5k that keep its price point low.

Sure we could rattle off a dozen "it'd be nice" features but compromises have to be made for something to keep a low price and I'd vastly prefer keeping it cost effective over kitchen sinking the damn thing and finding myself shrugging and opting for something like the iFi Go Blu.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #3,625 of 4,753
You said it yourself. You're a software engineer. That means nothing right now, "worked with hardware teams" is like saying you know how to fly a plane because you "worked with planes" by doing engine maintenance. You don't have any extra expertise here.

Adding a bunch of stuff that would jack up the price would kill the 5k because its entire appeal right now is that it's sitting around the $100 mark where it can comfortably beat the ES100 and BTR5, and even if it were somehow possible to make the dock accessory without making any fundamental changes to the 5k itself (spoiler: it's not) Qudelix is such a small company that they literally only have one product available and frankly I'd rather see them put their limited resources into upgrades within the 5k that keep its price point low.

Sure we could rattle off a dozen "it'd be nice" features but compromises have to be made for something to keep a low price and I'd vastly prefer keeping it cost effective over kitchen sinking the damn thing and finding myself shrugging and opting for something like the iFi Go Blu.

Haha. Okay, dude. We will all try to not discuss any cool ideas in this thread around you. Some people just like looking for fights, I guess.

Nov 16, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #3,626 of 4,753
As someone above pointed out, Qudelix is a tiny company. Small upgrades within the current form factor (possibly allowing for button relocation) might be possible.

I think their Chrome plugin is close to brilliant though could benefit from some usability improvements around entering custom PEX settings (especially import and export).

Improved bluetooth recognition and usb connection for accessing the app with a mobile device (bypassing bluetooth completely) would be welcome. I'd say they already do a better job than many bluetooth devices, but given how crumbly bluetooth is--improvement remains an opportunity.

A companion "desktop" or more powerful product (higher output) that is otherwise essentially the same might be possible. Using usb C power in, of course, is already there so this might be quite easy. Would anyone want it?

The buttons are awkward. But, over time I've gotten handier. Hold the device between your thumb and middle finger and you can use your index finger to push one button. Of course, you need to flip it over so your index finger can access the other button. The more my setup has settled down and I tend to use the device with one specific headphone I find I have less frequent need for the buttons: advance song, change volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back