The Qudelix-5K thread
Nov 7, 2022 at 4:24 PM Post #3,586 of 4,906
I think this rule of thumb is not entirely correct. In the example attached, the value on the right side is too little pre-gain and would cause clipping. In this case oratory recommends -8.4db, which isn't something clearly shown anywhere in the UI unless you guesstimate using the graph.
Maybe I didn't make myself precisely...
The right side value shows value of negative gain correction to be applied if you just input only filters. If there is also PRE-GAIN entered then it influences values on right. In you case the PRE-GAIN is set to -8.4dB and it is then subtracted from cascaded filters envelope. That is why shown value is -0.08dB...

Look at Oratory values for Sundara with +6dB subbass extension @daveya was asking about:
1667856039602.png

Value on right shows ~11,5dB because PRE-GAIN is not applied (0,0dB).

Nov 7, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #3,587 of 4,906
Maybe I didn't make myself precisely...
The right side value shows value of negative gain correction to be applied if you just input only filters. If there is also PRE-GAIN entered then it influences values on right. In you case the PRE-GAIN is set to -8.4dB and it is then subtracted from cascaded filters envelope. That is why shown value is -0.08dB...

Look at Oratory values for Sundara with +6dB subbass extension @daveya was asking about:
1667856039602.png

Value on right shows ~11,5dB because PRE-GAIN is not applied (0,0dB).
Ah, you're right. Thanks for clarifying. For some reason the UI wasn't updating for me when I zeroed out the pre-gain, but it's clearly showing the expected maximum value in my mobile app.

Nov 13, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #3,591 of 4,906
Thing is I want all those but ndo t need them and don't want to pay 200 quid, I think they got the balance right . I dont have a problem with the buttons, turn it on on the right and volume up and down on the left, it's not an issue at all for me, and love the fact it's hard plastic and indestructible.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #3,592 of 4,906
Thing is I want all those but ndo t need them and don't want to pay 200 quid, I think they got the balance right . I dont have a problem with the buttons, turn it on on the right and volume up and down on the left, it's not an issue at all for me, and love the fact it's hard plastic and indestructible.
It is FAR from indestructible. Honestly if I had one qualm with the 5K it's that the buttons are chintzy and prone to get loose and stop working as well. That's what mine started doing.

Nov 14, 2022 at 2:50 AM Post #3,593 of 4,906
The only improvement I would personnaly need is dedicated buttons with a better location on the device. The ES100 was better on this, why did they messed up with the functions ? And why the hell they decided they will put buttons in the CORNERS ??? The 5K IS great in terms of SQ, functionnalities and so on, but every now and then you go wrong with the buttons (play vs next track) or the music is paused because the play button was accidentaly pushed by your clothes or a move...

One of the advantages of a small dongle is that you shouldn't need to pull out your phone in order to simply skip tracks, or radio channels... You should be able to use it blindly.
At least for me, and even after months of use, I never managed to use it seamlessely...
When you're commuting by bike, this is even a safety issue... you need to keep eyes on the road and traffic, not on your damn phone screen !

To me this is the best BT dongle (SQ, battery life, form factor, BT stability and range) after the ES100 that was plagued by hardware issues after ~1 year...
Someting like the fiio BTR7 has the size of a small DAP, bulky, too short battery life, useless screen, and the same crappy app... not to mention the price !

Nov 14, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,594 of 4,906
I stopped to use the Qudelix 5K, though I still own it, due to a too short battery life and a bit too low output power for some of my IEM compare to iFi Go Blu and BTR7.

None of these BT dongle check 100% of the needed features :
-> iFi Go Blu is small, light, powerful with the longest battery playing time (LDAC/Balanced/Hi gain) but there is some annoying little permanent background hiss at very low volume level with some sensitive IEM and this dongle needs a little bill clip to be sticked on it to be used with a Shirt Pocket

-> BTR7 is powerful with no background hiss but too anorexic battery playing time in LDAC mode / balanced / hi-gain (less than 6 hours), but luckily more than 10 hours in AAC+Low gain.. just a bit too bulky and heavy compared to the competitors and this dongle needs a little bill clip to be sticked on it to be used with a Shirt Pocket.

-> Quedelix 5K is full of good features, compact, and light with a build in clip, hiss free, but it's the less powerful dongle which is an issue with some IEM and has a too short battery playing time (LDAC/High Gain/Balanced) with less than 5 hours.

So there are some room for improvement with all BT Dongle (including the little ES100MK2 which I don't use since I bought the Qudelix)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #3,597 of 4,906
Since we're complaining about buttons... the fact that they're on opposite sides is so stupid. If you're holding it in your hand and going to press a button, there's a pretty good chance that the pressure from holding it is gonna make the button on the opposite side press. I've gone into BT pairing mode or accidentally cranked the volume up thanks to that. Not to mention how many times a button got pressed from just being in my pocket. I actually have to have the button lock feature on all the time because otherwise way too many accidental presses happen.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #3,598 of 4,906
I stopped to use the Qudelix 5K, though I still own it, due to a too short battery life and a bit too low output power for some of my IEM compare to iFi Go Blu and BTR7.

None of these BT dongle check 100% of the needed features :
-> iFi Go Blu is small, light, powerful with the longest battery playing time (LDAC/Balanced/Hi gain) but there is some annoying little permanent background hiss at very low volume level with some sensitive IEM and this dongle needs a little bill clip to be sticked on it to be used with a Shirt Pocket

-> BTR7 is powerful with no background hiss but too anorexic battery playing time in LDAC mode / balanced / hi-gain (less than 6 hours), but luckily more than 10 hours in AAC+Low gain.. just a bit too bulky and heavy compared to the competitors and this dongle needs a little bill clip to be sticked on it to be used with a Shirt Pocket.

-> Quedelix 5K is full of good features, compact, and light with a build in clip, hiss free, but it's the less powerful dongle which is an issue with some IEM and has a too short battery playing time (LDAC/High Gain/Balanced) with less than 5 hours.

So there are some room for improvement with all BT Dongle (including the little ES100MK2 which I don't use since I bought the Qudelix)
Just out of curiosity - which of your IEM are not driven sufficiently from Q5k?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back