The Qudelix-5K thread
Nov 5, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #3,571 of 4,906
it does this because the app needs bluetooth to interface with the device. You can safely use the 5k via USB but the bluetooth must remain active otherwise you lose the functionality of the app
Why does it need the functionality of the mobile app if you're using the device only as a desktop amp+dac and can configure it via the Chrome browser plugin?

Nov 5, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #3,572 of 4,906
Re the Oratory settings for Sundara , pre gain is 5.5 , one low shelf is +5.5db, the notes on the side say you can set the other low shelf to 6db for linear extension, does this now mean the pre gain should change to -11.5?

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,574 of 4,906
are you connecting your 5k to your pc or smartphone?
I am primarily using my PC with the Qudelix as a USB dac+amp. I can forget the 5K on my phone, but then I have to re-pair on the occasion I want to use it with my phone. The 5K also seems to aggressively try to pair and/or connect with nearby devices and always allows other to pair with it. I'm surprised there isn't a simple toggle switch to disable Bluetooth.

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #3,575 of 4,906
Re the Oratory settings for Sundara , pre gain is 5.5 , one low shelf is +5.5db, the notes on the side say you can set the other low shelf to 6db for linear extension, does this now mean the pre gain should change to -11.5?
Yes.
BTW. Qudelix app has nice functionality of PEQ equalizer graph - it shows minimum and maximum gain of all cascaded filters you activate. When you apply several correction filters with frequency close to each other (or with low Q factor) then they all add or substract (depending on sign) their specific gain for corresponding frequencies.
So, as a rule of thumb - you should apply negative PRE-GAIN with value not less then the value [db] in right corner of PEQ graph of Q5k equalizer tab...

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #3,576 of 4,906
I am primarily using my PC with the Qudelix as a USB dac+amp. I can forget the 5K on my phone, but then I have to re-pair on the occasion I want to use it with my phone. The 5K also seems to aggressively try to pair and/or connect with nearby devices and always allows other to pair with it. I'm surprised there isn't a simple toggle switch to disable Bluetooth.
I hardly ever use the USB DAC function... However, I's wonderin if doing either of the following will help:

1) Set device to Power ON at USB DAC connection: Go to the Qudelix App on your smartphone. You should be on the DEVICE screen. If not, press the ‘gear’ ⛭ in the lower left hand corner that says DEVICE. Select the POWER tab. In the POWER tab select ON at USB DAC. Maybe starting without pushing the "ON Button" will not put it into the "Seeking Bluetooth Connection" mode?

2) Set the connection Priority: Select the PRIORITY tab at the top of the INPUT screen. Select the USB DAC FS you want. If you plan to use this as a USB DAC (which I do, for reasons of sound quality), you will probably want to select the USB DAC setting. Maybe this will prevent it from seeking a bluetooth Connection when USB is connected (and the priority) ?

Hope you find a solution!

Nov 5, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #3,577 of 4,906
I hardly ever use the USB DAC function... However, I's wonderin if doing either of the following will help:

1) Set device to Power ON at USB DAC connection: Go to the Qudelix App on your smartphone. You should be on the DEVICE screen. If not, press the ‘gear’ ⛭ in the lower left hand corner that says DEVICE. Select the POWER tab. In the POWER tab select ON at USB DAC. Maybe starting without pushing the "ON Button" will not put it into the "Seeking Bluetooth Connection" mode?

2) Set the connection Priority: Select the PRIORITY tab at the top of the INPUT screen. Select the USB DAC FS you want. If you plan to use this as a USB DAC (which I do, for reasons of sound quality), you will probably want to select the USB DAC setting. Maybe this will prevent it from seeking a bluetooth Connection when USB is connected (and the priority) ?

Hope you find a solution!
Appreciate the reply. Unfortunately, neither of those options resolve the eager Bluetooth of the Qudelix and really there would be a third option to "disable Bluetooth transmitter".

Nov 5, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #3,578 of 4,906
Why does it need the functionality of the mobile app if you're using the device only as a desktop amp+dac and can configure it via the Chrome browser plugin?
If you're plugging it in via USB, then the only BT connection initiated will be for the app. I use mine attached to my iPhone with an OTG cable and I only get one connection for the app (using it wireless I think there are two).

The Chrome plugin was added much later. You could always put in a request on the Quidelex forums, but since the unit was designed as a mobile unit, it seems like your request might be a fairly unique use case. But the developer has been very responsive to at least consider things in the past, that's probably your best option.

Nov 7, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #3,582 of 4,906
Yes.
BTW. Qudelix app has nice functionality of PEQ equalizer graph - it shows minimum and maximum gain of all cascaded filters you activate. When you apply several correction filters with frequency close to each other (or with low Q factor) then they all add or substract (depending on sign) their specific gain for corresponding frequencies.
So, as a rule of thumb - you should apply negative PRE-GAIN with value not less then the value [db] in right corner of PEQ graph of Q5k equalizer tab...

I think this rule of thumb is not entirely correct. In the example attached, the value on the right side is too little pre-gain and would cause clipping. In this case oratory recommends -8.4db, which isn't something clearly shown anywhere in the UI unless you guesstimate using the graph.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.47.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-11-07 at 8.47.14 AM.png
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 7, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #3,585 of 4,906
Maybe it's because they are so busy working on it to engage in the forum
If your company is such that your engineers are also working PR that's a bad sign. Doubly true if you don't have the resources to have someone able to communicate with customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back