The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 19, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #3,376 of 4,753
Good knowledge. You can, however, convert a balanced cable to be able to take a single ended amp output.

I got a balanced cable and a 2.5 > 3.5mm adapter to test this. Literally zero audible difference.

Not surprising they'd say this, mind. The first tab on their site is 'Audio Cables', and the first item on that page is a $185 0.5ft USB cable...that just represents a catastrophic misunderstanding in how anything works.
If you're using a converter to turn the balanced cable into single ended, then it shouldn't sound any different than a 3.5 cable - you're "losing" some of the differences that impact the sound on a balanced connection. I use one for one of my amps that only has a 1/4" plug. Then again, that amp pushes so much power that it makes up the difference. I think that's at least 70% of the perceived SQ difference on balanced outputs - more power, and that's why I choose to use them.

But yeah, anyone who buys a high priced USB cable is silly, IMHO. Really cheap ones suck and have poor data flow that needs to be resent due to data loss, but paying $150 extra isn't magically going to add sparkle to your high range or extend your bass. :darthsmile:

Jul 19, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #3,377 of 4,753
If you're using a converter to turn the balanced cable into single ended, then it shouldn't sound any different than a 3.5 cable - you're "losing" some of the differences that impact the sound on a balanced connection. I use one for one of my amps that only has a 1/4" plug. Then again, that amp pushes so much power that it makes up the difference. I think that's at least 70% of the perceived SQ difference on balanced outputs - more power, and that's why I choose to use them.

But yeah, anyone who buys a high priced USB cable is silly, IMHO. Really cheap ones suck and have poor data flow that needs to be resent due to data loss, but paying $150 extra isn't magically going to add sparkle to your high range or extend your bass. :darthsmile:
No I mean I have a balanced cable that I can use with the 2.5mm balanced out of the 5k, and an adapter so I can use the same cable with the 3.5mm single ended output. They are identical. I get more than enough volume out of the single ended output, and don’t get anywhere near power saturation, so am going to stick to that going forward, because it’s easier on the battery.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #3,378 of 4,753
Really cheap ones suck and have poor data flow that needs to be resent due to data loss
If we do not think about any broken USB cable then I don't believe that above it's true in sense that it may influence sound quality.
If the cable works correctly i.e. allows proper communication of two USB devices (smartphone/computer and DAC) then sound will be unaffected. Such connection doesn’t require USB 3.0 speed or high current support (like for PD or QC power delivery) so it won't work better or worse - it will just work. The cable may be inconvenient to be used (inflexible, flimsy or prone to tangling etc.) but that is the other, utilitarian thing.
So - save your money and don't buy expensive USB cables. Eventually spend them for better phones 😀

Jul 20, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #3,379 of 4,753
Good knowledge. You can, however, convert a balanced cable to be able to take a single ended amp output.
Yes...don't want people to damage their equipment!
I got a balanced cable and a 2.5 > 3.5mm adapter to test this. Literally zero audible difference.

Not surprising they'd say this, mind. The first tab on their site is 'Audio Cables', and the first item on that page is a $185 0.5ft USB cable...that just represents a catastrophic misunderstanding in how anything works.
:xf_smile: I don't purchase "audiophile" equipment from outlets that charge $185 0.5ft USB cables...just remembered that Moon Audio had some info on potential issues related to damaging equipment due to misuse of adapters.

I believe that for the most part, cable is cable, especially for speakers. For phones/iem, there are obviously important differences unrelated to "sound" (e.g., tangle/memory, snag, and durability) and it is best to allocate $$ to speakers/phones/iem, and an amp that has clean power if needed for hard to drive speakers. Also, I like music to sound the way I want it to sound given my ears and preference, so EQ'ing is for me!

Decent intro thread for skeptics (Ducks head):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/testing-audiophile-claims-and-myths-the-original-compilation.769887/

Jul 20, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #3,380 of 4,753
If we do not think about any broken USB cable then I don't believe that above it's true in sense that it may influence sound quality.
If the cable works correctly i.e. allows proper communication of two USB devices (smartphone/computer and DAC) then sound will be unaffected. Such connection doesn’t require USB 3.0 speed or high current support (like for PD or QC power delivery) so it won't work better or worse - it will just work. The cable may be inconvenient to be used (inflexible, flimsy or prone to tangling etc.) but that is the other, utilitarian thing.
So - save your money and don't buy expensive USB cables. Eventually spend them for better phones 😀
I was not implying that the sound quality of a cheap USB cable was any different than that of an expensive one, and I'm not suggesting anyone buy one. And by "cheap" I meant ones you'd buy for a nickle at the flea market and that only work 10% of the time depending on whether you walk around the table three times anticlockwise. All reasonable ones "just work" as you said. :beyersmile:

No I mean I have a balanced cable that I can use with the 2.5mm balanced out of the 5k, and an adapter so I can use the same cable with the 3.5mm single ended output. They are identical. I get more than enough volume out of the single ended output, and don’t get anywhere near power saturation, so am going to stick to that going forward, because it’s easier on the battery.

I understood what you were saying about the adapter for your balanced cable - that's exactly what I do (just not on the 5k since I use the balanced output). As far as balanced vs single-ended, we could collectively debate it until the end of time. I think it sounds different/better and choose to use it when possible. I also leave the 5k on performance mode and usually high gain. I probably charge it more often than if I didn't, but that's OK with me. YMMV.

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #3,381 of 4,753
Hi All, just got the Qudelix 5k to pair with my i4. Unfortunately, what I have observed is that after power off, every time, all the EQ settings get reset? Anyway how to fix this? I was under the impression that the PEQ profile you apply is applied on the device and not dependent on the app to be set everytime after restart ?

EDIT: Another question, have any of you been able to make the single point pairing work (instead of multi-point connection, because it becomes quite annoying that songs stop playing because of notification on my phone, and i use the BT on my phone, for my smartwatch).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #3,382 of 4,753
Hi All, just got the Qudelix 5k to pair with my i4. Unfortunately, what I have observed is that after power off, every time, all the EQ settings get reset? Anyway how to fix this? I was under the impression that the PEQ profile you apply is applied on the device and not dependent on the app to be set everytime after restart ?

EDIT: Another question, have any of you been able to make the single point pairing work (instead of multi-point connection, because it becomes quite annoying that songs stop playing because of notification on my phone, and i use the BT on my phone, for my smartwatch).
All of my PEQ settings are stored on the device itself and don't disappear when I connect using another phone. I have had mine since launch and never experienced this issue.

I also have mine set to automatically connect to only a single device when powered on (not multi point). If I want multi-point, I can always connect another device to the 5K without having to change this setting. See screenshot attached.

EDIT: the auto reconnect setting can be found in the Device --> Misc menu.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220723-101308_Qudelix.jpg
    Screenshot_20220723-101308_Qudelix.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #3,383 of 4,753
All of my PEQ settings are stored on the device itself and don't disappear when I connect using another phone. I have had mine since launch and never experienced this issue.

I also have mine set to automatically connect to only a single device when powered on (not multi point). If I want multi-point, I can always connect another device to the 5K without having to change this setting. See screenshot attached.

EDIT: the auto reconnect setting can be found in the Device --> Misc menu.

Strange! That is exactly the setting I was using, for some reason it is still doing multi-point for me even though the setting in Qudelix misc option shows as single device.

Jul 23, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #3,384 of 4,753
Strange! That is exactly the setting I was using, for some reason it is still doing multi-point for me even though the setting in Qudelix misc option shows as single device.
Have you tried resetting the device? If that does not work, try reaching out to Qudelix. I have found them to be pretty responsive in the past. Never had the issues you are describing. I even tried installing the app on my new Galaxy S22+ (I havent really had to use the app in a while), and I can see my PEQ presets in the app (took the names a little bit to load but they were all stored on the device).

Jul 23, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #3,385 of 4,753
Have you tried resetting the device? If that does not work, try reaching out to Qudelix. I have found them to be pretty responsive in the past. Never had the issues you are describing. I even tried installing the app on my new Galaxy S22+ (I havent really had to use the app in a while), and I can see my PEQ presets in the app (took the names a little bit to load but they were all stored on the device).
If you don't save a PEQ as a Preset; will it be lost when you turn it off? (Have not used the PEQ yet myself... Just trying to help @manukmanohar ! )

Jul 23, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #3,386 of 4,753
If you don't save a PEQ as a Preset; will it be lost when you turn it off? (Have not used the PEQ yet myself... Just trying to help @manukmanohar ! )
No, shouldn't be lost. I currently have a peq set for the last several days which isn't saved and each time I've turned the unit on and off it remains

Jul 28, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #3,387 of 4,753
FYI: Since owning 'this' Q5K for about 4 months I have used three different USB-C to Lightning cables. The best one so far is the one I received today. Very nice quality rubber covered cable, tight fitting connectors, very nice build quality overall. Also the 'Meenova' lightning connector used to get very hot and the cable was stiff (relatively), it would also cut out occasionally. The Fiio cable, by comparison, is very soft & pliable, no connection issues so far.

FiiO LT-LT3 USB Type C to Lightning Cable

Edited for grammar.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #3,388 of 4,753
Hey all, got a working 5K this time. Connected to iPhone via the Lotoo USBC/Lightning cable. It functions fine as a cable-connected DAC-amp, but:
-- I've noticed the audio suddenly switches to bluetooth if I'm switching apps in the iPhone. It's jarring. Any way to keep it on Lightning/USB audio only?
I'm new to Qudelix, and have seen this issue described a few times now. Is this still an issue?

Jul 29, 2022 at 3:54 AM Post #3,389 of 4,753
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying the Qudelix because of the parametric EQ functionality but I have zero experience with using parametric EQ. My source is an iphone.

Is it as simple as selecting my headphone from a drop-down list and the Qudelix will load the optimal EQ profile? Or do I need to do a lot of manual tweaking?

Jul 29, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #3,390 of 4,753
Hi guys, I'm looking at buying the Qudelix because of the parametric EQ functionality but I have zero experience with using parametric EQ. My source is an iphone.

Is it as simple as selecting my headphone from a drop-down list and the Qudelix will load the optimal EQ profile? Or do I need to do a lot of manual tweaking?
Both options are available to you with Qudelix it’s great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back