The Qudelix-5K thread
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #3,361 of 4,753
Thanks a lot! I will have a look but how do I input those values in the Qudelix PEQ? I have never used it.

94CC9F24-513F-4064-99D7-0FA5A7C056A1.jpeg

Make sure EQ is enabled in the DSP tab, and PEQ is selected. Then back in the Equaliser tab, select filters and enter the numbers in there. Ignore the BW column on the PDF, that’s just a different ‘format’ of Q factor.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #3,362 of 4,753
94CC9F24-513F-4064-99D7-0FA5A7C056A1.jpeg

Make sure EQ is enabled in the DSP tab, and PEQ is selected. Then back in the Equaliser tab, select filters and enter the numbers in there. Ignore the BW column on the PDF, that’s just a different ‘format’ of Q factor.
And don't forget to enter "PRE GAIN[dB]" in equalizer tab.
In case of that Oratory proposal it should be set to -7.2dB ("Preamp Gain" value in document) and if not applied you may face clipping because there is substantial EQ boost of rather sensitive area of 1.2kHz...

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:55 AM Post #3,363 of 4,753
Thanks a lot! I will have a look but how do I input those values in the Qudelix PEQ? I have never used it.
You should be able to click on the ‘Auto EQ preset’ and scroll down to KLH Ultimate One. The EQ will install itself and then you can tweak if you fancy it

Jul 17, 2022 at 3:17 AM Post #3,364 of 4,753
Thanks, guys :)

I've added the Auto EQ and then keyed in the values from the PDF. For some reason, the Auto EQ does not sound good. After typing the values and saving the custom profile, it sounds OK. I need to raise the volume a lot, Is this supposed to bring the sound as close to neutral as possible?

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:24 AM Post #3,365 of 4,753
Thanks, guys :)

I've added the Auto EQ and then keyed in the values from the PDF. For some reason, the Auto EQ does not sound good. After typing the values and saving the custom profile, it sounds OK. I need to raise the volume a lot, Is this supposed to bring the sound as close to neutral as possible?
You need to raise volume because EQ have -7.2dB of pre-gain for compensation (hopefully you set this in EQ tab?)... So, these -7dB makes the sound to be substantialy quieter and requires extra volume corection.
After EQ the frequency profile of phones should be closer to Harman Target that statistically sounds better for most people and is closer to "speakers in the room" experience (of course in sense of frequency profile only) ...

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #3,366 of 4,753
Some questions I have before ordering the 5K:
  1. Any suggestions for reviews/sites/manuals that provide tips/tricks for the 5K? I have already downloaded the July 21 46-page User Manual.
  2. Should I only use a non-quick charger for charging 5K? Are there any known issues with using “trickle” chargers?
  3. Any known issues with Samsung Galaxy S22?
  4. Is the USBC – USBC cable long enough and flexible enough so you can just strap or Velcro the 5K to the back of a phone's protective case?
TIA for any suggestions!

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #3,367 of 4,753
Some questions I have before ordering the 5K:
  1. Any suggestions for reviews/sites/manuals that provide tips/tricks for the 5K? I have already downloaded the July 21 46-page User Manual.
  2. Should I only use a non-quick charger for charging 5K? Are there any known issues with using “trickle” chargers?
  3. Any known issues with Samsung Galaxy S22?
  4. Is the USBC – USBC cable long enough and flexible enough so you can just strap or Velcro the 5K to the back of a phone's protective case?
TIA for any suggestions!
For that last one, the usb-c to usb-c cable is pretty small, I believe that it should reach with no issue however. I would recommend only using a normal (non fast charging) charger, that's the only thing I've used with great success.

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:23 PM Post #3,368 of 4,753
You need to raise volume because EQ have -7.2dB of pre-gain for compensation (hopefully you set this in EQ tab?)... So, these -7dB makes the sound to be substantialy quieter and requires extra volume corection.
After EQ the frequency profile of phones should be closer to Harman Target that statistically sounds better for most people and is closer to "speakers in the room" experience (of course in sense of frequency profile only) ...

Do you know the difference between PEAK and SHELF(s)?

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #3,369 of 4,753

Do you know the difference between PEAK and SHELF(s)?
SHELF type affects (boost or attenuate depending if + or -) all frequencies below (for Low-SHELF) or above for (High-SHELF) of defined frequency. PEAK just boost or attenuate around defined frequency with width depending on Q factor - the higher Q the more selective (narrow) is the filter.
SHELF is usefull for elevating (or lowering) whole bass (LSHELF) or treble (HSHELF) area. PEAK is for correcting specific frequencies. So for example in case of Oratory’s correction from previous posts LSHELF for 105Hz boost 5.5dB all frequencies below 105Hz.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,370 of 4,753
For that last one, the usb-c to usb-c cable is pretty small, I believe that it should reach with no issue however. I would recommend only using a normal (non fast charging) charger, that's the only thing I've used with great success.
Thanks. FWIW, I sent the following directly to Qudelix:
The manual for the 5K states:
“Use a standard 5V charger or PC USB only. (Do NOT use a high-speed charger)”
Pretty much every charger being sold is either “fast charging” , “quick charging”, or “USB PD”. Can you recommend a charger from a reliable manufacturer that is safe to use with the 5K?"

They responded with:
"You can use any chargers or pc usb port.
No worries."

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:30 AM Post #3,372 of 4,753
SHELF type affects (boost or attenuate depending if + or -) all frequencies below (for Low-SHELF) or above for (High-SHELF) of defined frequency. PEAK just boost or attenuate around defined frequency with width depending on Q factor - the higher Q the more selective (narrow) is the filter.
SHELF is usefull for elevating (or lowering) whole bass (LSHELF) or treble (HSHELF) area. PEAK is for correcting specific frequencies. So for example in case of Oratory’s correction from previous posts LSHELF for 105Hz boost 5.5dB all frequencies below 105Hz.
Hey, thanks a lot for your beautifully simple answer, I appreciate it! Soon I will have my 8-core graphene XINHS 3.5mm cable, so I will be able to play with PEQ, a bit :)

Jul 19, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #3,373 of 4,753
Hey, thanks a lot for your beautifully simple answer, I appreciate it! Soon I will have my 8-core graphene XINHS 3.5mm cable, so I will be able to play with PEQ, a bit :)

Just FYI, that PDF I linked has a handy graph showing the individual EQ filters, which helps visualise what each line of the PEQ is doing. I.E. f1 visualises what the low shelf is doing, and note the differences between f5, f7 and f8. The higher the Q number, the more concentrated on a particular frequency the boost/cut will be.

Jul 19, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,374 of 4,753
I’m no expert, so ‘short circuit’ might be the wrong way to describe it, but Qudelix staff, when this came up over on their forum, said “You can't use the (2.5mm to 3.5mm) adapter. It will damage the 5K Amplifier.”
From Moon Audio:
"you cannot convert a single-ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie these grounds."
https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution

More detail here:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/05/balanced-vs-unbalanced-audio-connections/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/

Jul 19, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #3,375 of 4,753
From Moon Audio:
"you cannot convert a single-ended connection to a balanced connection as there is no way to untie these grounds."
https://www.moon-audio.com/balanced-adapters-caution

More detail here:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/05/balanced-vs-unbalanced-audio-connections/
https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/headphone-jacks-plugs-explained/

Good knowledge. You can, however, convert a balanced cable to be able to take a single ended amp output.
Moon Audio:

If it’s a true-balanced signal path, then yes, it will always sound better than a single-ended design

I got a balanced cable and a 2.5 > 3.5mm adapter to test this. Literally zero audible difference.

Not surprising they'd say this, mind. The first tab on their site is 'Audio Cables', and the first item on that page is a $185 0.5ft USB cable...that just represents a catastrophic misunderstanding in how anything works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back