The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 13, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #2,341 of 4,753
Finally got to try this out yesterday and experienced all kinds of issues.

I’m on an iPhone 11 and I’ve tried using a generic lightning to USB C cable that Amazon reviews said worked well, and a FiiO LT-LT1 cable but the playback of music is incredibly intermittent.

Sometimes it’ll play fine, but then if I change from displaying the Music app to any other app, it stops the music. I’ll go back to the Music app and it’ll constantly show the Qudelix connecting and disconnecting.

I’m guessing it doesn’t like the cables so I’ve sucked it up and bought the Camera Kit 3, which I didn’t want to do really as I didn’t want that extra bulk. But if that’s the only way to make this work then I guess it’ll have to be.

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,342 of 4,753
Finally got to try this out yesterday and experienced all kinds of issues.

I’m on an iPhone 11 and I’ve tried using a generic lightning to USB C cable that Amazon reviews said worked well, and a FiiO LT-LT1 cable but the playback of music is incredibly intermittent.

Sometimes it’ll play fine, but then if I change from displaying the Music app to any other app, it stops the music. I’ll go back to the Music app and it’ll constantly show the Qudelix connecting and disconnecting.

I’m guessing it doesn’t like the cables so I’ve sucked it up and bought the Camera Kit 3, which I didn’t want to do really as I didn’t want that extra bulk. But if that’s the only way to make this work then I guess it’ll have to be.
I have the Meenova lightning to usb c OTG cable: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VH58HS9/
Works just as well as my CCK3.

521FCAC0-7499-4225-912F-F1A1B4D1DFCD.png

Apple Lossless is working quite well with it.
D77E7FF1-916A-4B27-9CB8-0151D2BF7DB1.png

Upsamples to 96KHz to match.

Jun 13, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #2,343 of 4,753
I have the Meenova lightning to usb c OTG cable: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08VH58HS9/
Works just as well as my CCK3.

521FCAC0-7499-4225-912F-F1A1B4D1DFCD.png
Apple Lossless is working quite well with it.
D77E7FF1-916A-4B27-9CB8-0151D2BF7DB1.png
Upsamples to 96KHz to match.

I’m in the UK and we don’t have a lot of choice for cables unfortunately. I’ve seen the Lotoo cable works too but that’s also not available here.

Jun 13, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #2,345 of 4,753
Just got my Apple Camera connection kit. Works great! Adds a little more bulk than I’d like. I have the xduoo cable on order. Heard it works flawlessly. Also I need to order a shorter custom balanced 2.5 cable for my HD58X. This should help too.

Attachments

• 98654076-091C-4F07-A5AB-6D9B4C59E04C.png
    98654076-091C-4F07-A5AB-6D9B4C59E04C.png
    371.1 KB · Views: 0
Jun 14, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #2,346 of 4,753
Anyone have issues where the sound drops off when changing apps on iOS when using USB? I think it occurs when the Qudelix app is running in the background and it definitely seems to fade away music when I switch to the app. Seems fine on Bluetooth but USB cuts the sound off a lot.

Someone raised the issue on the Qudelix support page and a reinstall of the app fixed it for them. I tried that and it worked for a few minutes but it seems to be happening again.

Jun 17, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #2,349 of 4,753
If it’s just for your car, I’ve had great luck with the BTR3K. Single ended output to the aux-in and car mode in the app works and sounds great.
Thanks for your reply!
It is just for car but I may end up using to travel or even if I sell my car I could use it in my new car, it may be better than the Bluetooth that comes with the cars?
Or I may not hear the difference? I may not need the DAC as I already have a processor(current setup below)?
Current setup: AUX input --> OEM HU --> Processor --> Amplifiers --> Active Speakers

Jun 17, 2021 at 3:22 PM Post #2,350 of 4,753
Thanks for your reply!
It is just for car but I may end up using to travel or even if I sell my car I could use it in my new car, it may be better than the Bluetooth that comes with the cars?
Or I may not hear the difference? I may not need the DAC as I already have a processor(current setup below)?
Current setup: AUX input --> OEM HU --> Processor --> Amplifiers --> Active Speakers
A lot of new cars will have bluetooth audio built in which is more convenient than the older 'Aux in' 3.5mm input.
Most also have Apple Carplay or Android Auto which offer a lot more features and built in audio decoding.

I'm not sure what the 'processor' your current setup refers to. If it's a 3.5mm aux-in jack, then that would be analog in to your head unit->to your amp-> to speakers (no digital processing needed except maybe to alter/enhance the analog sound in the head unit).

Jun 18, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #2,351 of 4,753
A lot of new cars will have bluetooth audio built in which is more convenient than the older 'Aux in' 3.5mm input.
Most also have Apple Carplay or Android Auto which offer a lot more features and built in audio decoding.

I'm not sure what the 'processor' your current setup refers to. If it's a 3.5mm aux-in jack, then that would be analog in to your head unit->to your amp-> to speakers (no digital processing needed except maybe to alter/enhance the analog sound in the head unit).
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I have AUX in factory HU and also in car processor(ArcAudio PS8 which is connected to factory harness and then output goes to aftermarket amplifiers). I agree I may not use it, if I buy a new car. What about in regular travel use ?

Edit: Do I need the DAC for regular travel listening instead of AUX or Lightning port?

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #2,352 of 4,753
Thanks for your reply, appreciate it.

I have AUX in factory HU and also in car processor(ArcAudio PS8 which is connected to factory harness and then output goes to aftermarket amplifiers). I agree I may not use it, if I buy a new car. What about in regular travel use ?

Edit: Do I need the DAC for regular travel listening instead of AUX or Lightning port?
The ArcAudio PS8 looks like a nice bit of kit; their site advertises a bluetooth module for it too! But yeah it sounds like your HU is sending an analog signal to the PS8 (it has a TOSLINK jack for digital input).

For regular travel use, Q5K and BTR5 are great choices. I went with the Q5K for a variety of reasons - size, built in clip, battery life, and audio passthrough. BTR5 has the advantage of higher sampling/bit rates when used as a USB DAC.

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #2,353 of 4,753
The ArcAudio PS8 looks like a nice bit of kit; their site advertises a bluetooth module for it too! But yeah it sounds like your HU is sending an analog signal to the PS8 (it has a TOSLINK jack for digital input).

For regular travel use, Q5K and BTR5 are great choices. I went with the Q5K for a variety of reasons - size, built in clip, battery life, and audio passthrough. BTR5 has the advantage of higher sampling/bit rates when used as a USB DAC.
Yeah, but it cost way too much for what it does. These DAC's are much more versatile and better value for long run. Sounds like there is no bad choice between BTR5 and Q5K.

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #2,354 of 4,753
Yeah, but it cost way too much for what it does. These DAC's are much more versatile and better value for long run. Sounds like there is no bad choice between BTR5 and Q5K.

Thanks!
Are you planning on using as USB DAC or bluetooth for regular travel. I have the ES100 and 5K and found them perfect for travel with IEMs and used them exclusively as bluetooth receivers. If you use an LDAC capable device and plan on using EQ, the 5K can EQ when using LDAC. The PEQ on the 5K is fantastic. Don't know if Fiio ever enabled EQ over LDAC on the BTR5 since I don't have one.

If you are in the US, keep an eye out for Prime Day deals. 5k was discounted last year for Prime Day.

Jun 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #2,355 of 4,753
If you are in the US, keep an eye out for Prime Day deals. 5k was discounted last year for Prime Day.

Hoping. Praying. Got the wife all lined up to buy the 5K as a gift for me (as a father's day/birthday gift combo) if it goes on sale on Monday. Don't let me down Qudelix! It's not very often I can get my wife to buy me anything related to audio gear!

p.s. The regular price is good (and well worth it I'm sure), especially if you live in the U.S. But if in Canada, it ends up at $165 CAD after shipping and exchange. So a discounted price would be greatly appreciated by this canuck! :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back