The Qudelix-5K thread
Jan 16, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,861 of 4,753
They haven't made any software updates to the ES100 in ages. While the ambient is "better" than the 5k, they both pretty much suck compared to TWS versions. I think you're 100% right about multiple mics, plus they have chips with ANC, which is sort of related.

The sound stays the same quality with EQ. If you notice a decrease (usually if you drop too many frequencies), you can touch it up with gain or in PEQ. The software is really great, and has been under constant development since it was released. That's one of the best things about the Quidelex - the software and active user forum. .

Yah. I think it all comes down to the mics. Way before they released, even Qudelix was reluctant to add ambient mode right off the hop, and then warned that because the mic was lower sensitivity and processed it may be a little weird.

Hanesu, I guess as a frame of reference, imagine you're walking down the sidewalk. The ES100's ambient mode will pick up conversations from almost across the street, but anything that touches or brushes against the device will be extremely loud. The 5K's ambient mode will let you know someone beside you is talking, and you may hear a car driving just adjacent to you, but it won't pick up too much wind and only a bit of handling noise. Also, the 5K can use your cable's inline mic as well. If you have one, it could be better positioned to pick up the types of noise you wanna be aware of.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #1,863 of 4,753
im between this and the fiio btr5, focusing on SQ only, as I'll have this in one pocket and my phone on the other so I don't think bluetooth would be too affected at that range on any device, which would be better?
I have both the BTR5 and the Q5K, and for your use case, I'd recommend the Q5K. My BTR5 cuts out occasionally with it in my other pocket (I've tried it naked, with the official case, and the clip) and across two different phones with the same result. No such issue with the Q5K.

Jan 16, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #1,864 of 4,753
I'm very interested in upgrading to the 5k, but I'm not sure if it's "worth" it.

For Bluetooth connection im using the TRN BT20S Pro Bluetooth adapter. I like the sound, don't have any IEMs at the moment which would really need a powerful amp.

So, is there maybe someone, who used an adapter like the BT20S Pro and upgraded to the 5k, maybe even to balanced cable with the 5k?

Can't decide, if invest the money in the 5K plus a balanced cable, or an other IEM 😜
I have the non s version of the trn, the 5k is 10,000 times better

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,865 of 4,753
I have both the BTR5 and the Q5K, and for your use case, I'd recommend the Q5K. My BTR5 cuts out occasionally with it in my other pocket (I've tried it naked, with the official case, and the clip) and across two different phones with the same result. No such issue with the Q5K.
wait really? it cuts off even on the other pocket? well so much for being a bluetooth receiver. i was leaning towards the btr5 because when not using BT, I could plug it into my laptop and play my DSDs but since I'm mainly going to use it with bluetooth i guess I'll go with the 5k.

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #1,867 of 4,753
:L3000: Sooo, if you're nekked, where/what do you clip the BTR5 to ? :L3000:

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:00 PM Post #1,868 of 4,753
If you have IEMs that would benefit from the extra power that balanced would give you and you have the cables, then I'd say go for it. You'd be surprised, even my KZ stuff sounds better balanced. As many have said, the EQ and app also adds a lot of versatility. I don't have the BT20 Pro yet, but I just ordered it with the sale. But I've used the "regular" version that was on loan, the 5K sounds better by far.
Yup, I agree. My KZ ZS10 PRO sounds significantly better from the balanced output of both my ES100 and Fiio Q1MK2. Balanced (done correctly) always has a better SQ.

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:22 PM Post #1,869 of 4,753
i forgot to ask is this using ldac or aptx? i heard that aptx might cut out but LDAC has no issues

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #1,870 of 4,753
I'm very interested in upgrading to the 5k, but I'm not sure if it's "worth" it.

For Bluetooth connection im using the TRN BT20S Pro Bluetooth adapter. I like the sound, don't have any IEMs at the moment which would really need a powerful amp.

So, is there maybe someone, who used an adapter like the BT20S Pro and upgraded to the 5k, maybe even to balanced cable with the 5k?

Can't decide, if invest the money in the 5K plus a balanced cable, or an other IEM 😜
I have the Fiio UTWS1 for the gym, and the 5K, even if the UTWS1 is good and gives a nice, flat response I now use the 5K for the gym too since it’s a league above and useful for so many other scenarios you may not even have thought about yet...

Jan 17, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,872 of 4,753
Thank you all for the impressions on the upgrade to the 5K, helped me a lot! Will order it a soon as it's availible in 2 weeks in the EU 😊
Also the TRN or UTWS are much trickier as far as compatibility is concerned. Sockets, angle, everything can become an issue. No such problem with the 5K if you get new iems (Fiio’s new UTWS3 seem a bit more adaptable but you still have to choose MMCX or 2-pin, or use adapters etc...).

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #1,874 of 4,753
Enjoying my Q5 but I'm having an intermittent issue where my music breaks up. Factory settings, Bluetooth, Pixel 4a 5G, Spotify Premium on WiFi, Fiio FH3, Tripowin Zowie 2.5mm MMCX. Firmware is up to date. Any ideas?

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #1,875 of 4,753
i forgot to ask is this using ldac or aptx? i heard that aptx might cut out but LDAC has no issues
I was using LDAC on my OnePlus 6 (before I sold it), and AAC on my iPhone 11 Pro (even after having it replaced due to a battery issue, so 3 phones in total). All had the same issue with the BTR5 unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back