The Qudelix-5K thread
Jan 15, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,846 of 4,906
I updated my 5K to the new firmware. They added a bitrate counter to the AAC codec display on the Input screen of the App.

On my iPhone XR it shows around 230kbps.
According to Apple’s Bluetooth design doc 320kbps is “possible” but since there’s usually no way to see what the bitrate is, who knows...

Are any iPhone users seeing higher bitrate than around 230?

Thanks

Jan 15, 2021 at 9:46 AM Post #1,847 of 4,906
I updated my 5K to the new firmware. They added a bitrate counter to the AAC codec display on the Input screen of the App.

On my iPhone XR it shows around 230kbps.
According to Apple’s Bluetooth design doc 320kbps is “possible” but since there’s usually no way to see what the bitrate is, who knows...

Are any iPhone users seeing higher bitrate than around 230?

Thanks
236 )))) However, from my Macbook Pro i made adjustments to AAC with Bluetooth Explorer help and i reached 320 maximum.

Jan 15, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #1,849 of 4,906
Good to see consoles are now supported. Lotoo Paw S1 takes Switch gaming experience to another level. Will be trying 5K to see how they compare. Would be nice to get a Gaming EQ preset like on LPS1, too.
Screenshot_20210115-185438_Google Play Store.jpg

Jan 16, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #1,850 of 4,906
I'm very interested in upgrading to the 5k, but I'm not sure if it's "worth" it.

For Bluetooth connection im using the TRN BT20S Pro Bluetooth adapter. I like the sound, don't have any IEMs at the moment which would really need a powerful amp.

So, is there maybe someone, who used an adapter like the BT20S Pro and upgraded to the 5k, maybe even to balanced cable with the 5k?

Can't decide, if invest the money in the 5K plus a balanced cable, or an other IEM 😜

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,851 of 4,906
I'm very interested in upgrading to the 5k, but I'm not sure if it's "worth" it.

For Bluetooth connection im using the TRN BT20S Pro Bluetooth adapter. I like the sound, don't have any IEMs at the moment which would really need a powerful amp.

So, is there maybe someone, who used an adapter like the BT20S Pro and upgraded to the 5k, maybe even to balanced cable with the 5k?

Can't decide, if invest the money in the 5K plus a balanced cable, or an other IEM 😜

I think if you're 100% satisfied with the SQ of what you have, don't change anything; if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If you find yourself reaching for the EQ on your source devices for any reason, the 5K may simplify things as you can make pretty much any adjustment on the DAC. As far as other Bluetooth features, the only thing you'll be missing is a hardware voice assistant button. Although the 5K can act as a mic (through Bluetooth or USB!), its controls only allow you to end or accept calls, and adjust volume. This should only be a problem if you take a lot of calls though. Sounds like you're more focused on music.

Hope this helps somewhat. Maybe someone else can comment on the balanced output specifically.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #1,852 of 4,906
@cttttt Thank you for your opinion!
I'm not unhappy with the sound quality, but strive to optimize what I could optimize in the sound chain, so it sounds even better 😉

You're right, I'm focused only on the music, don't take calls while listening on the go.

The EQ option on the 5k is a nice touch, as its hard to find a really good sounding EQ as an Android app.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,853 of 4,906
I'm not unhappy with the sound quality, but strive to optimize what I could optimize in the sound chain, so it sounds even better 😉

You're right, I'm focused only on the music, don't take calls while listening.

The EQ option on the 5k is a nice touch, as its hard to find a really good sounding EQ as an Android app.
The 5K is very versatile and most seem very happy with it. I am happy with mine.

If you are looking for an Android EQ app, try Wavelet. Pretty good, with a large library of automatic EQ settings as well (I believe targeted at turning FR more Harmon-like).

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #1,854 of 4,906

You're right, I'm focused only on the music, don't take calls while listening.

Yah. Before getting into wireless DACs, I used to make heavy use of an Android EQ, and actually found that whichever app I used, it would always get killed and start blasting sound in my ears. This got me to consider the ES100 (which was an awesome upgrade); and then I was hotly anticipating the 5K. It's an even better upgrade.

I think what I'm saying here is wait until there's a problem you wanna fix before you enter this wild ride. 'cause once you get one wireless DAC, you'll buy every one that comes out until the end of time. Start the spending only when you need to.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #1,855 of 4,906

If you have IEMs that would benefit from the extra power that balanced would give you and you have the cables, then I'd say go for it. You'd be surprised, even my KZ stuff sounds better balanced. As many have said, the EQ and app also adds a lot of versatility. I don't have the BT20 Pro yet, but I just ordered it with the sale. But I've used the "regular" version that was on loan, the 5K sounds better by far.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #1,856 of 4,906
How is the ambient mode with the 5k? Does it sound natural? Usable? Any experiences?

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2021 at 12:58 PM Post #1,857 of 4,906
Hiw is the ambient mode with the 5k? Does it sound natural? Usable? Any experiences?

It's present, but the mic isn't sensitive enough for it to be really useful. I found the ambient mode on the ES100 to be way better, but that mic is extremely sensitive, making it useless for taking calls. Feels like a tradeoff since neither has a dedicated mic just for ambient.

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,858 of 4,906
It's present, but the mic isn't sensitive enough for it to be really useful. I found the ambient mode on the ES100 to be way better, but that mic is extremely sensitive, making it useless for taking calls. Feels like a tradeoff since neither has a dedicated mic just for ambient.

Thank you! I see! I used to own the ES100, too, some years ago - but I always thought the ambient mode does not sound very natural. Might be better now, as you say, due to software updates! Good to know the Qudelix does not top it. Maybe the only way to make a really good ambient mode is using many microphones, like Apple did with Airpod Max...

May I ask a second question? When using the EQ, does the volume and sound quality stay untouched? I am currently thinking of exchanging my BTR5 with a 5k, because I find the Fiio software (the EQ for example) really bad! I love it’s build though!

Jan 16, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,859 of 4,906
Thank you! I see! I used to own the ES100, too, some years ago - but I always thought the ambient mode does not sound very natural. Might be better now, as you say, due to software updates! Good to know the Qudelix does not top it. Maybe the only way to make a really good ambient mode is using many microphones, like Apple did with Airpod Max...

May I ask a second question? When using the EQ, does the volume and sound quality stay untouched? I am currently thinking of exchanging my BTR5 with a 5k, because I find the Fiio software (the EQ for example) really bad! I love it’s build though!

I find the sq stays the same. But the volume does decrease a bit, but nothing major, one or two clicks of volume up fixes it. I find the gains with the peq well worth it.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #1,860 of 4,906

They haven't made any software updates to the ES100 in ages. While the ambient is "better" than the 5k, they both pretty much suck compared to TWS versions. I think you're 100% right about multiple mics, plus they have chips with ANC, which is sort of related.

The sound stays the same quality with EQ. If you notice a decrease (usually if you drop too many frequencies), you can touch it up with gain or in PEQ. The software is really great, and has been under constant development since it was released. That's one of the best things about the Quidelex - the software and active user forum. .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back