The Qudelix-5K thread
Dec 23, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #1,786 of 4,753
It's saturated at 80mW when unbalanced and 240mw balanced.
114dB might seem much but the problem though is that when you start equalizing, as I equalize to Harman 2018 with AutoEQ, you'll need to lower gain to compensate. For DT 770 Pro 32 Ohm that's -8.6dB for Parametric EQ.

That makes it 106.1dB which might not be much depending the case.

As reference I currently use an old Sony MDR-D333 (24 Ohm, 102 db) and sometimes I max out the volume on unbalanced and that's still not enough. I had to raise preamp on the app at expense of distortion.

yes... you are right... I notice that using equalizer the gain is compensated... (which is the correct way of processing... not to increase the gain but lower the 'unwanted' frequency)

Dec 23, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #1,787 of 4,753
I just got one, very nice and I'm impressed by the power and sound stage on balanced. Does the red led go off after charge is full? And do you guys turn yours off of just disconnect from the source.

And do you have to pair it eveytime? Or just turn it on. I read the manual but I'm really not clear on those things. Great PEQ also. So far I prefer the sound to the btr5, it sounds "bigger' more open to me. Good stuff, it's amazing what's available for 100 dollars nowadays.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #1,788 of 4,753
I just got one, very nice and I'm impressed by the power and sound stage on balanced. Does the red led go off after charge is full? And do you guys turn yours off of just disconnect from the source.

And do you have to pair it eveytime? Or just turn it on. I read the manual but I'm really not clear on those things. Great PEQ also. So far I prefer the sound to the btr5, it sounds "bigger' more open to me. Good stuff, it's amazing what's available for 100 dollars nowadays.

I just turn mine off when I am done using it and it reconnects automatically to my V60 when I turn it back on.

Dec 24, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #1,789 of 4,753
I just turn mine off when I am done using it and it reconnects automatically to my V60 when I turn it back on.

Thanks, yes I see you can shut it off in the app and it reconnected instantly to my phone once I turned it on. In fact everything is smooth and the app seems damn good. Also the digital filters actually make an audible difference, I mean readily apparent there's a difference :wink:

The build is quite nice too and the buttons actually work good for me. This thing Is better than I expected.

Dec 24, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,790 of 4,753
Thanks, yes I see you can shut it off in the app and it reconnected instantly to my phone once I turned it on. In fact everything is smooth and the app seems damn good. Also the digital filters actually make an audible difference, I mean readily apparent there's a difference :wink:

The build is quite nice too and the buttons actually work good for me. This thing Is better than I expected.
I gotta say: before I buy anymore iems in 2021, I'm gonna spring for this first. I've got 2 ES100's (one not even unboxed) and a Fiio Q1MK2 dac/amp. The ES100 gets the most ear time. Need to get myself this Qudelix k5 as another good source.

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #1,792 of 4,753
Just got this this thing and only listened to a couple songs on low volume with the default aptX codec with CCA C12 but I can already tell this is going to be better than my ES100.

So a couple issues I'm hoping someone can help with:

1) Whenever the 5K reboots (after for instance deselecting a codec option) my phone doesn't automatically reconnect. 5K goes into pairing mode and I have to go into phone settings and reconnect there (Galaxy S10+). I was hoping it would automatically reconnect or work via the app (Device -> Connection -> Connect) but that just hangs and goes nowhere. This is honestly a very minor gripe that will not be something I have to do often, so no huge deal either way.

2) Whoops, just figured this one out moments after posting but I'll just leave my message up to let everyone know how silly I am for not going into the option menu under Bluetooth -> Paired devices first (where you see LDAC disabled by default and have to enable it). The following was the original problem I posted:

I can't force switch to LDAC in Android developer options! It starts on aptX and when I change to anything else it will show it changed but not truly be changed; if I leave settings and return it will show on aptX again. So I disabled aptX from the Qudelix app and now it defaults to AAC and cannot be changed from this. I then disabled AAC and it goes to SBC and cannot be changed. SBC cannot be disabled meaning I literally cannot use LDAC pending me figuring out whatever it is I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated, and happy holidays!

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #1,793 of 4,753
Just got this this thing and only listened to a couple songs on low volume with the default aptX codec with CCA C12 but I can already tell this is going to be better than my ES100.

So a couple issues I'm hoping someone can help with:

1) Whenever the 5K reboots (after for instance deselecting a codec option) my phone doesn't automatically reconnect. 5K goes into pairing mode and I have to go into phone settings and reconnect there (Galaxy S10+). I was hoping it would automatically reconnect or work via the app (Device -> Connection -> Connect) but that just hangs and goes nowhere. This is honestly a very minor gripe that will not be something I have to do often, so no huge deal either way.

2) Whoops, just figured this one out moments after posting but I'll just leave my message up to let everyone know how silly I am for not going into the option menu under Bluetooth -> Paired devices first (where you see LDAC disabled by default and have to enable it).

I can't force switch to LDAC in Android developer options! It starts on aptX and when I change to anything else it will show it changed but not truly be changed; if I leave settings and return it will show on aptX again. So I disabled aptX from the Qudelix app and now it defaults to AAC and cannot be changed from this. I then disabled AAC and it goes to SBC and cannot be changed. SBC cannot be disabled meaning I literally cannot use LDAC pending me figuring out whatever it is I'm missing.

Any help is appreciated, and happy holidays!
No need for developer options, just go to your BT settings while your ES100 or K5 is connected, and choose the little "mesh" for more options, and there you can activate the LDAC codec

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201224-232023_Settings.jpg
    Screenshot_20201224-232023_Settings.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #1,794 of 4,753
No need for developer options, just go to your BT settings while your ES100 or K5 is connected, and choose the little "mesh" for more options, and there you can activate the LDAC codec
Yup, thanks for the response, though that's exactly what I was saying I found right after I posted that I couldn't get LDAC working (via edit).

I'll edit the post again to make it more clear, but thanks again for the response.

Dec 25, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,795 of 4,753
With my older ears and my middling range cans and iems this sounds as good as 99% daps I've tried and some were over 1000 dollars. And that's even going wireless.
The only dap in recent memory (they all sound good to me btw) that stood out was the Cayin N3 pro in tube mode. Everything else is quite similar, just with different colouring or lack of and power output differences. Nothing sounded bad or even close to bad. So I don't personally subscribe to A sounds automatically better than B because it's more expensive or in a higher tier.

Things have gotten so good even a 100 dollar piece of gear can sound amazing.

I listened to my third gen ipod nano yesterday- one of the better sounding ones. And it still sounds pretty good, but.... Oh my the hiss is quite noticible and the range and dynamics aren't as good as newer stuff- probable because of the lower power out.

Also brought out the clip plus, still sounds good but once again I noticed how small and boxed in the sound stage is compared to say the 5k on balanced. Which is very expansive. So sound tech has definitely improved over the last 20 years quite a bit.

Sorry for the rambling but I was simple trying to say- before I got off tangent that I think dongles and especially BT receivers will become more popular for audio enthusiasts as codes and tech improve. Because using your phone as a control device is a better experience than most (all?) daps.
And very cost effective since most have a smartphone.

Anyways, Happy Christmas 🎄 everyone.

Dec 25, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #1,796 of 4,753
With my older ears and my middling range cans and iems this sounds as good as 99% daps I've tried and some were over 1000 dollars. And that's even going wireless.
The only dap in recent memory (they all sound good to me btw) that stood out was the Cayin N3 pro in tube mode. Everything else is quite similar, just with different colouring or lack of and power output differences. Nothing sounded bad or even close to bad. So I don't personally subscribe to A sounds automatically better than B because it's more expensive or in a higher tier.

Things have gotten so good even a 100 dollar piece of gear can sound amazing.

I listened to my third gen ipod nano yesterday- one of the better sounding ones. And it still sounds pretty good, but.... Oh my the hiss is quite noticible and the range and dynamics aren't as good as newer stuff- probable because of the lower power out.

Also brought out the clip plus, still sounds good but once again I noticed how small and boxed in the sound stage is compared to say the 5k on balanced. Which is very expansive. So sound tech has definitely improved over the last 20 years quite a bit.

Sorry for the rambling but I was simple trying to say- before I got off tangent that I think dongles and especially BT receivers will become more popular for audio enthusiasts as codes and tech improve. Because using your phone as a control device is a better experience than most (all?) daps.
And very cost effective since most have a smartphone.

Anyways, Happy Christmas 🎄 everyone.
Gotten the 5k few months back and this is the only dac I've so far mostly use the phone to and PC to play. I'm very curious between this and the cayin N3pro. In your opinion will there a big step up in audio experience or quality?.thanks

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:07 AM Post #1,797 of 4,753
Gotten the 5k few months back and this is the only dac I've so far mostly use the phone to and PC to play. I'm very curious between this and the cayin N3pro. In your opinion will there a big step up in audio experience or quality?.thanks

In tube mode it's different for sure, SS wise I actually prefer the 5k. But the tube modes give you rich warmth and a lot of depth to the music, it's hard to describe but it's intoxicating. Especially the linear mode which is a hybrid mode. Good stuff.

You do lose some technical prowess of straight SS such as speed and dynamics, but if you just want to enjoy the music it's awesome. I only got rid of mine because my album art would hang, that's probably been remedied by now.

Out of all the mid range daps I tried, that one actually brought something unique to the table. I miss mine 😢

Think rich organic sound with a holographic sound stage. That's linear mode.

Dec 25, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #1,798 of 4,753
In tube mode it's different for sure, SS wise I actually prefer the 5k. But the tube modes give you rich warmth and a lot of depth to the music, it's hard to describe but it's intoxicating. Especially the linear mode which is a hybrid mode. Good stuff.

You do lose some technical prowess of straight SS such as speed and dynamics, but if you just want to enjoy the music it's awesome. I only got rid of mine because my album art would hang, that's probably been remedied by now.

Out of all the mid range daps I tried, that one actually brought something unique to the table. I miss mine 😢

Think rich organic sound with a holographic sound stage. That's linear mode.
Thanks so much and sorry for asking this.. whats "SS" ?😅

Dec 25, 2020 at 12:51 PM Post #1,800 of 4,753
Does the 5k not support AptX-LL? Was planning on buying it to use as a receiver to pair with Fiio BTA30 when watching movies on my PC. Only BTR5 is suitable for the job right? Also, is there any noticeable lag when using the 5k while watching videos/movies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back