The Qudelix-5K thread
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #1,561 of 4,753
OK, I'll set my settings when I'm at home. Only differences I notice from memory is that I've got an Android and Spotify plus my FW is 1.4. I also don't use eq.

And please spare me all the red and bold writing, like I said I do not listen to particularly high volume. This is why I'm asking about other people's settings.
The bolds and reds are not specially pointing on you, sorry.

But the two related topics that just came up made me investigate this more, and the results are serious and can be alarming for some:
The so called "hard to drive" Sennheiser HD-800S, on the 5K, is capable to cause hearing disorder if not used with some caution.

Your special case might be something else:
- Spotify uses fixed "loudness normalization" that reduces the level some.
- Qudelix explicit mentioned that level handling is different in Android, "ABSOLUTE VOLUME" is said not to work.

BTW: The sound quality of the combination Qudelix 5K / Sennheiser HD-800S leaves nothing to wish for, even compared to my RME ADI-2 Pro.

I'm using the "Hybrid fast roll-off" - DAC-filter.
The various filters do make a difference.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #1,562 of 4,753
The bolds and reds are not specially pointing on you, sorry.

But the two related topics that just came up made me investigate this more, and the results are serious and can be alarming for some:
The so called "hard to drive" Sennheiser HD-800S, on the 5K, is capable to cause hearing disorder if not used with some caution.

Your special case might be something else:
- Spotify uses fixed "loudness normalization" that reduces the level some.
- Qudelix explicit mentioned that level handling is different in Android, "ABSOLUTE VOLUME" is said not to work.

BTW: The sound quality of the combination Qudelix 5K / Sennheiser HD-800S leaves nothing to wish for, even compared to my RME ADI-2 Pro.

I'm using the "Hybrid fast roll-off" - DAC-filter.
The various filters make a difference.
Where do they say absolute volume doesn't work on android

Oct 5, 2020 at 2:35 PM Post #1,563 of 4,753
Where do they say absolute volume doesn't work on android
In the App settings, when you scroll down:
IMG_7760.jpg

Oct 5, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,565 of 4,753
Anyone who's using the 5k to drive full cans through BT mode find a way to clip them on the cans? Images or links to short cables would be appreciated.

Open cans are at home use only for me so I don't mind the Qudelix sticking out on my head as long as it's secured without any wires in the way.

I think there was 1 image posted by a user here who showed his workaround.

Currently having a hard time with iems finding a place to put this tiny thing as it just in my pocket next to my phone

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,568 of 4,753
Anyone who's using the 5k to drive full cans through BT mode find a way to clip them on the cans? Images or links to short cables would be appreciated.

Open cans are at home use only for me so I don't mind the Qudelix sticking out on my head as long as it's secured without any wires in the way.

I think there was 1 image posted by a user here who showed his workaround.

Currently having a hard time with iems finding a place to put this tiny thing as it just in my pocket next to my phone

Maybe something like this? https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-qudelix-5k-thread.914628/post-15871900

On FB, I saw a photo of a guy clipping the 5K to the cable of his Audeze cans at about upper chest level. Might work if a super short cable isn't handy.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,569 of 4,753
I don't use the paid version of Spotify, but that looks like it.
Just switch and listen, to test.

If "off", tracks should sound different loud, if "on" loudness should be about the same for all tracks.
I have no reason to doubt that the setting works, but that wasn't my question. You said that Spotify has a fixed loudness normalization, and I was wondering if you were referring to some other normalization that is applied across everything on Spotify.

In any case, I don't want normalization because I listen mostly to classical music and loudness should not adjust between quiet and loud movements :o2smile:

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,570 of 4,753
I have no reason to doubt that the setting works, but that wasn't my question. You said that Spotify has a fixed loudness normalization, and I was wondering if you were referring to some other normalization that is applied across everything on Spotify.

In any case, I don't want normalization because I listen mostly to classical music and loudness should not adjust between quiet and loud movements :o2smile:
Seems Spotify made Loudness Normalization switchable now.
This sites shine some light on the topic:
https://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=529977

https://siggidori.wixsite.com/skonr...8/06/04/spotify-is-now-more-dynamic-than-ever

Don't worry too much.
Loudness Normalization works:
• as playback function,
• not encoded in the tracks,
• on a per track base,
• not within a track, except:
as Spotify has a relatively high target level of -14dB it might happen that high peaks are running into their dynamic limiter.
Premium seems to have a selection of different target levels.

Switch L.N. off, guess that's it.

If you're sick of it, switch to Tidal :)

All above is hearsay on my side, just trying to help.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #1,571 of 4,753
So Qudelix sent me a new unreleased firmware update that fixes the not charging to 100% bug me and others are having. It now charges to 100.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201005-185727.png
    Screenshot_20201005-185727.png
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #1,572 of 4,753
Thank you for your response,

Im getting bits of your explanation like the 2/4V, but confused on what your graph is showing and what formula you used to calculate db spl levels for the he4xx so I can try calculating maximum db levels for the sennheisers. Also isn't the he4xx rated at 35ohms?
I don't have the 5K, I just happened to be reading this thread as saw your post...

To calculate power requirements for any headphone you need to know:
1. the headphone's sensitivity,
2. your desired loudest listening level (my rule of thumb is 110dB if you're listening to pop/rock, 115dB if you listen to jazz, and 120dB for classical... These are probably all overkill for most listening, though), and
3. 2x power gets +3dB; 2x voltage gets +6dB.

To figure out power:
Subtract the headphone's sensitivity (given as dB @1mW) from your desired loudness, and then divide the resulting number by three. This will tell you how many times the power has to be doubled to reach your desired loudness.
As an equation it looks something like this:
[Necessary power] = 2(([max volume] - [sensitivity])/3)

If I want to listen at 120dB on a headphone with 95dB @1mW it would look like:
Power = 2((120 - 95)/3)
= 2(25/3)
= 28.333...
P = 322.5mW

You can also do a rough calculation by counting how many times you add +3dB between the sensitivity and desired loudness, and then multiplying 2 by itself that many times to get the power. I often do this by counting on my fingers.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,574 of 4,753
So Qudelix sent me a new unreleased firmware update that fixes the not charging to 100% bug me and others are having. It now charges to 100.
~4.2V (+/-~0.1V) is the max voltage for most kind of lithium batteries. Why should we worry about %??? What if Qudelix software developers wrote a code that says 4.2V= 200%? Would the battery capacity increase 2 times?
My guess is, they put in a "Learn" function to determin the individual batterie's full charge voltage.
Or the change is purely cosmetic.

That's OK either way, people do feel bad if they don't see 100% if they have paid for.
Probably the charging was 100% before, but didn't look like.

The funny thing is, if they are true with their battery life optimization, 100% doesn't mean full charge anyway.
I'd prefer it this way, pay with some minutes less running time to enhance the longevity of the 5K.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #1,575 of 4,753
Finally updated the first couple of post with the correct information and pictures, sorry for the delay.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back