The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 27, 2020 at 10:45 PM Post #871 of 4,759
I got a sound whenever the device starts and stops sending audio. The sound happens just before audio starts, and shortly after audio stops. It's the sorta sound you'd get when plugging headphones into an old school cassette Walkman while it was running. Here're all the noises I hear from turning it on to turning it off:

- ((At this point, the 5K is off))
- ((Hold the power button for 3 seconds))
- Two pops (that Walkman noise)
- "Click" sound effect (power on)
- "Whip" sound effect (bluetooth connected)
- A momentary high pitched sound (maybe one or two ms in duration)
- ((Hit Play on my Bluetooth connected phone))
- Two pops (the Walkman noise)
- ((4 seconds later))
- A momentary high pitched sound (maybe one or two ms in duration)
- ((Hold the power button for 3 seconds))
- Two pops (that Walkman noise)
- "Click" sound effect
- A momentary high pitched sound
- ((The device is off now))

Hmm...now that I try this using some Earpods I had laying around, I don't hear any of the clicks or pops.

I grabbed all of the audio stuff I had within reach and the results are pretty revealing:

I get the noises above with the following:

-> 3.5mm connection
-> This cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32954926911.html
-> TRN V80s

And I don't get the pops with any of the following:

-> 3.5mm connection
-> Apple Earpods

-> 3.5mm connection
-> Bose Quiet Comfort QC35

-> 3.5mm connection
-> This cable: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33004681759.html
-> TRN V80s

Although I'm wondering what's make it transmit these sounds, I guess I'll make this 16 core cable my new backup and start using the TRN cable. Any idea why a cable would cause these sounds? I'm not an electrical engineer, but am now super interested in what this phenomenon is.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:53 AM Post #872 of 4,759
Hi Nolbert,

I'm in the UK too.

Did you not get a text from FedEx on the same day followed by a letter with the Tax Payment?

Thanks,
Jaison
I did get a text. Not a letter tho... yet

edit: but I’ve already received the item

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #874 of 4,759
Hello everybody.
I know that there are specs which tell you how much time 5K will play files on one fully charged battery.
Let's have it here (in this thread) how much time actually the fully charged battery will last playing dsd/ flac/mp3 320 files on LDAC/ other codecs using balanced/unbalanced outputs at an average sound level/loudness.
I think it will be useful.
I started to measure it yesterday and today I will write how much time 5K lasted playing flac files at a balanced output on LDAC.
I had to stop the experiment yesterday night as it was 1.15 am. The battery showed 17% left. 5K was ON for exactly 8 hours. Today I am continuing. The good news is that for the night the battery charge percentage have not changed.

Could anybody else share the info with different codecs and formats?

Jun 28, 2020 at 9:08 AM Post #875 of 4,759
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #876 of 4,759
Where is it? I can't see it on qudelix website. Could you share the link here?

The actual control app has been updated on mobile app stores. On Android there was an app update in the Play store.

There was also a firmware update (see screenshot). Note that it at least took me 5 minutes to install. Not bad.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200628-091040.jpg
    Screenshot_20200628-091040.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 0
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #877 of 4,759
Jun 28, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #878 of 4,759
Thanks for sharing the info.

Oh and btw, the updates in practical terms are:

- Help text added to most views in the app. The text are paragraphs that sit at the bottom of each view and describe how everything works. For example:

Screenshot_20200628-092542.jpg

- There are USB power modes now. So you can tell the device what to do when the device is connected or disconnected. Instead of discrete controls for what happens when the device is connected, and disconnected, there are just different modes.

Screenshot_20200628-092449.jpg

- It's now possible to choose the USB DAC sampling rate (?). I haven't had a chance to confirm whether any of these settings break compatibility with Windows. I recall that with the ES100, there were some compatibility issues with certain sampling rates.

Screenshot_20200628-092547.jpg

- The volume controls now have a scale and display the sampling rate.

Screenshot_20200628-092558.jpg

The changelog lists a runtime mic selection, but I'm not sure what it means. If I figure it out, I'll post about it.

Update:

- The scales flanking the volume view are actually battery and RMS meters. Pretty neat use of space in the volume panel.

- Another significant update is that the volume levels from USB and Bluetooth Devices sound identical now. Before, with the ES100, I had source devices at max volume and switching back and forth was pretty smooth: all sources were at the same level. With the 5K, the volume level from USB devices sounded at least 20db quieter than Bluetooth devices. This resulted in my ears getting blasted when the 5K decided to switch to a Bluetooth device. I compensated by reducing the volume of my Bluetooth devices while the 5K was connected. Now, it seems like USB devices emit audio at source level and switching from Bluetooth to USB, the audio sounds exactly the same.

- Seems like connecting the 5K to a Windows PC works fine at 96KHz / 24bit.

Update:

- After a bit of experimenting, it seems like the runtime mic selection feature allows the user to transfer a call between the 5K and a connected phone. Carefully double tapping the Play/Pause button (the button with the bump) will transfer the call back and forth. Note that the Play/Pause button disconnects the call, so...not sure how useful this feature will turn out to be. I wonder why they didn't bind it to a double tap on the On/Off button (beneath the button with the bump).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #879 of 4,759
Oh and btw, the updates in practical terms are:

- Help text added to most views in the app. The text are paragraphs that sit at the bottom of each view and describe how everything works. For example:

Screenshot_20200628-092542.jpg

- There are USB power modes now. So you can tell the device what to do when the device is connected or disconnected. Instead of discrete controls for what happens when the device is connected, and disconnected, there are just different modes.

Screenshot_20200628-092449.jpg

- It's now possible to choose the USB DAC sampling rate (?). I haven't had a chance to confirm whether any of these settings break compatibility with Windows. I recall that with the ES100, there were some compatibility issues with certain sampling rates.

Screenshot_20200628-092547.jpg

- The volume controls now have a scale and display the sampling rate.

Screenshot_20200628-092558.jpg

The changelog lists a runtime mic selection, but I'm not sure what it means. If I figure it out, I'll post about it.

Update:

- The scales flanking the volume view are actually battery and RMS meters. Pretty neat use of space in the volume panel.

- Another significant update is that the volume levels from USB and Bluetooth Devices sound identical now. Before, with the ES100, I had source devices at max volume and switching back and forth was pretty smooth: all sources were at the same level. With the 5K, the volume level from USB devices sounded at least 20db quieter than Bluetooth devices. This resulted in my ears getting blasted when the 5K decided to switch to a Bluetooth device. I compensated by reducing the volume of my Bluetooth devices while the 5K was connected. Now, it seems like USB devices emit audio at source level and switching from Bluetooth to USB, the audio sounds exactly the same.

- Seems like connecting the 5K to a Windows PC works fine at 96KHz / 24bit.

Update:

- After a bit of experimenting, it seems like the runtime mic selection feature allows the user to transfer a call between the 5K and a connected phone. Carefully double tapping the Play/Pause button (the button with the bump) will transfer the call back and forth. Note that the Play/Pause button disconnects the call, so...not sure how useful this feature will turn out to be. I wonder why they didn't bind it to a double tap on the On/Off button (beneath the button with the bump).

I'm really loving the update so far though I don't really understand the usb options very well. Feel like something got lost in translation but I'll figure em out eventually lol. I agree with you on the play/pause button being a bad call though I will say I've had literally zero problems double tapping these buttons. I know someone made a post complaining about struggling with double tap and I couldn't understand it for the life of me. Seems very easy and forgiving with the double taps imo.

Jun 28, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #880 of 4,759
I'm really loving the update so far though I don't really understand the usb options very well. Feel like something got lost in translation but I'll figure em out eventually lol. I agree with you on the play/pause button being a bad call though I will say I've had literally zero problems double tapping these buttons. I know someone made a post complaining about struggling with double tap and I couldn't understand it for the life of me. Seems very easy and forgiving with the double taps imo.

Yeah. I just left it on None. I'm assuming this means that if the DAC was on when I connected it, it'll remain on and same if it was off.

As for the double clicks, my success rate has been around 95% while listening to music. The 5% of times I single tap by mistake, the music stops, and I'm right back in the game by single tapping again. Or if I really spaced the taps out, I stop, then start the music.

Seems like here, if I miss a double tap, the call disconnects 😂 and I may start music depending on how spaced out the taps were. Mapping this double tap to the power button would remove this booby trap. However, stepping back, I'm not really sure how useful this feature is at all...transferring the audio to the phone transfers it to the headset earpiece and speaker (not the speakerphone). So, my next action would be to pick up my phone. If I already need to pick up my phone, I can pretty easily switch where the phone audio goes from the phone.

It's a cool addition, but I'm not sure how much I'd ever use this feature.

Jun 28, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #881 of 4,759
Yeah. I just left it on None. I'm assuming this means that if the DAC was on when I connected it, it'll remain on and same if it was off.

As for the double clicks, my success rate has been around 95% while listening to music. The 5% of times I single tap by mistake, the music stops, and I'm right back in the game by single tapping again. Or if I really spaced the taps out, I stop, then start the music.

Seems like here, if I miss a double tap, the call disconnects 😂 and I may start music depending on how spaced out the taps were. Mapping this double tap to the power button would remove this booby trap. However, stepping back, I'm not really sure how useful this feature is at all...transferring the audio to the phone transfers it to the headset earpiece and speaker (not the speakerphone). So, my next action would be to pick up my phone. If I already need to pick up my phone, I can pretty easily switch where the phone audio goes from the phone.

It's a cool addition, but I'm not sure how much I'd ever use this feature.

Personally I'd much rather have the ability to drain the 5k battery while connected to usb instead of draining the battery of my device. Though apparently the former would allow for the 5k battery to stay healthier longer.

Jun 28, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #883 of 4,759
If you're referring to the On as USB DAC option, this looks like it may be one of the fixes I was waiting for. My 5K would shut off while it was being used as a USB DAC with my PC. It seemed like auto off was being triggered when not sending any audio to the 5K over bluetooth. It was extremely annoying actually. Will have to do the update tonight and give it a try.

Jun 28, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #884 of 4,759

Users who are viewing this thread

Back