The Qudelix-5K thread
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #736 of 4,753
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/what-you-need-to-know-about-bluetooth-audio/

According to this article. Aptx-LL is 40ms or less latency.

And adaptive Aptx goes between 50ms-to-80ms.

For gamers Aptx-LL should be objectively better. Though I have no idea if those are a noticeable difference in convenience.

Either way, these are concerns for gamers and real-time sport watchers. Not for music and movie listeners.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #737 of 4,753
is the Q5easier to put into ambient mode than the ES100?

I always found that difficult to do quickly.

I like reports that It’s pairs with phone and dap OK.

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #738 of 4,753
is the Q5easier to put into ambient mode than the ES100?

I always found that difficult to do quickly.

I like reports that It’s pairs with phone and dap OK.

Unless I missed it, Qudelix 5K currently does not have an 'Ambient mode' feature similar to the ES100. There were some forum posts on their website that asked the question (now deleted), and their reply was it could come in a future update. Link to the cached deleted post: https://webcache.googleusercontent....ity-of-ambient-mode+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #739 of 4,753
Same amp's so yes. I don't know why but the SQ seems better than the BTr5 to me in the mids mainly. Better battery and better SQ no screen so a little less easy to used but once it is set up who cares. The app is not as good as the ES100 but it is still in development. Been listening to this and playing most of the day now and it is really growing on me.

Fwiw WS once told me that one of the reasons to change to the Sabre chip was greater possibility to tweak the sound. Seems as if he might have been right about that.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #740 of 4,753
I did, and what's your point? It's a 1.5 year old article.

2 years after APTX adaptive launch there's a total of 24 devices that supports it, 14 if you exclude the receivers (headphones, 5K BT dac etc) and not a single transmitter besides a few phones.

I was referring to this part :

" The good news is, it will remain backwards compatible with existing aptX-enabled devices, so while you'll need aptX Adaptive kit for the dynamic adjustments to work, you'll still be able to take advantage of aptX low latency and aptX HD compatible kit if your headphones are aptX Adaptive. "

Unless i'm understanding it wrong, wouldn't that mean if your device supports aptx adaptive and the other device doesn't then it would still be able to use low latency. Also there was this quote that I thought was interesting:

" Qualcomm is also planning to roll out a version of the aptX Adaptive encoder for Android P in December "

Wouldn't that imply it's built in? or am I misunderstanding something?

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #742 of 4,753

" The good news is, it will remain backwards compatible with existing aptX-enabled devices, so while you'll need aptX Adaptive kit for the dynamic adjustments to work, you'll still be able to take advantage of aptX low latency and aptX HD compatible kit if your headphones are aptX Adaptive. "

Unless i'm understanding it wrong, wouldn't that mean if your device supports aptx adaptive and the other device doesn't then it would still be able to use low latency. Also there was this quote that I thought was interesting:

" Qualcomm is also planning to roll out a version of the aptX Adaptive encoder for Android P in December "

I read that to mean you can still use aptX-LL if your devices both support aptX-LL but I could be wrong since I have never had a device with aptX adaptive before.

I thought aptX-LL and aptX adaptive were different and that aptX-LL is not built in. Otherwise, as noted above, I would not expect aptX-LL to have lower latency than aptX adaptive.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #743 of 4,753

APTX Adaptive is just backwards compatible with APTX/APTX HD, but it just means it can use those two codecs if there´s no APTX adaptive codec enabled from your source.

https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

It's just journalist being clueless once again.... :)

About the Android P part, it's still barely supported even now when were on Android 10.

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #744 of 4,753
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #745 of 4,753
Thanks for that.

is the clip function any better than the ES100?

Twice mine unclipped then bungee jumped off my shirt or jacket lapel and then detached to fall down once into a rainy gutter and once into a (filled - gross!!) toilet.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 5:45 PM Post #746 of 4,753
The Qualcomm cVc noise cancellation is for voice calls and early reports are that it works very well.

Check his comments on the integrated mic: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/hauwx6/comment/fv6bn34

Ah ok. Thanks for that link. Totally misunderstood the feature, lol. I wouldn't have used the active noise canceling feature anyway, but it just would have been cool to have. I rarely use the mic on these Bluetooth dongles (ES100, BTR5, etc) so that feature won't really apply to me, but that's ok.

Jun 18, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #747 of 4,753
I read that to mean you can still use aptX-LL if your devices both support aptX-LL but I could be wrong since I have never had a device with aptX adaptive before.

I thought aptX-LL and aptX adaptive were different and that aptX-LL is not built in. Otherwise, as noted above, I would not expect aptX-LL to have lower latency than aptX adaptive.
APTX Adaptive is just backwards compatible with APTX/APTX HD, but it just means it can use those two codecs if there´s no APTX adaptive codec enabled from your source.

https://www.aptx.com/aptx-adaptive

It's just journalist being clueless once again.... :)

About the Android P part, it's still barely supported even now when were on Android 10.

Well that blows ;(

Anyone else have any comparisons with the BTR5?

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #750 of 4,753
The Qualcomm cVc noise cancellation is for voice calls and early reports are that it works very well.

Check his comments on the integrated mic: https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/hauwx6/comment/fv6bn34

It me! If you want know anything about the the 5K from a non-audiophile point of view (usability, features, and comparisons to my old ES100, bugs, or annoyances), I should be able to quickly check and comment. I'm not a pro, so can't really comment on audio quality though :frowning2:. It's comparable to the ES100, if that's enough of a reference point.

As far as the mic, I just came back from a long walk, and it's pretty neat and very clearly picked up my voice and rejected background noise. I did a few real and The Test Call calls and they worked out just fine and rejected most road/wind noise, especially while I was speaking. When I first got the device yesterday, I did a few test calls in the house while a radio was playing in the background. The radio was completely rejected and my voice was loud and clear. At least compared to the ES100, this is a major difference and makes it practical for me to take calls directly on the 5K without taking out my phone.

Just note that although there is a sideband mode that mixes your voice with phone audio during a call, this only works during a call. There is ambient mode (no way to mix outside sounds with device audio). I have a feeling that the noise cancellation would make such a mode less useful as the audio from the mic is pretty clean...it's literally just voices speaking directly into the device.

That's the scoop on the mic. Kinda wish this was out when I settled on the ES100, but just had to grab it, and then I just had to grab this when it was released :p. I guess the spending stops now until the next random wireless DAC comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back