The PuppeT Topic, All My questions in one little thread :)
Jul 7, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #16 of 25
The purpose of a reciever is to connect multiple sources to different outputs. For example, you could use a reciever to connect a DVD player and a CD player to a TV and speakers.

Many recievers also have amplifiers built in.

You computer doesn't have a reciever because it occupies the same function that a reciever does in an HT setup... it connects everything to everything else. For example, your z560 satellites and sub connect to an amp (built into the sub) which connects into the computer, your source.

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #18 of 25
Don't forget that unless you are going to use an amp designed especially for a subwoofer you will need a crossover too. Following the basic formula it's not too difficult, but problems arise when trying to design all sorts of resistor networks and L-pads and all that other junk.

As for sub choice, the Adire Audio Shiva and Tempest are some of the best subwoofers around. Their website also has a few different enclosure designs for them, then get either a plate amp form parts express or use a normal amp and make a regular 12db/octave or 6db/octave (chosen in relation to the crossover point, a high crossover above 100hz would work best with the 12db/octave, under 100hz go for a 6db/octave) linkwitz-reily lowpass crossover. It's pretty simple to make, just need an inductor for the 6db/octave or an inductor and a cap for the 12db/octave. Caps are cheaper than inductors, so you might also want to make a ghetto crossover, which uses the cap from the apropriate linkwitz-reilly 6db/octave highpass except that it is in parallel instead of serial. For the amp you could get a nasty mass market one or build your own, class ab should be fine for a sub, using a few transistors and such. There's a decent 50wpc opamp based one with a meier headphone section at Headwize, might want to check it out.

If you're scratching your head wondering "What the hell is this fool talking about?" Parts Express has several subwoofer kits ranging from $100 to $400, which include enclosure, driver, and plate amp.

Jul 8, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 25
Okay, not sure if I'm off base or anything here, but here's my take on it:

Puppet- not sure how you're planning on using this new sub or whatever, but bear in mind, that your Z560 sub is not just a sub... It's the whole "brain" for your Z560 speaker setup. Unless yours is different from mine, your computer outputs (the dual mini plug for front/rear) goes into the control pod, then terminates in a ps/2 like plug that gets plugged into the subwoofer. From there, the signal gets split up into the various channels that then goes into your 4 speakers. So if you blow your sub, you're going to have to find some way to either replace the driver in the existing sub housing, or rewire it to an external sub. Your sub is also where all the power to your satellites is coming from.

So you can't just make a sub and somehow hook it up because there's nowhere to hook it in (no specific sub output)... Not unless you use an actual receiver and hook up the speakers. Of course, the other thing you can do, if you're a real basshead, is to ditch the four satellite speakers, and get some bookshelf speakers that have extended response into the bass regions, and hook those up.. That's the beauty of the 560's IMO, the ability to replace the satellites with something else.

As for the Z560's, if your sub blows, I'm sure you can get something comparable through Logitech. When I first got mine, one of the speakers started sounding funny. I called it in to Logitech, and they told me that they were having some Q/A problems with the sub, and that they would send me a new one. Rather than sending mine in to them, all they wanted me to do was to cut off the power cord to the sub, and then send that in along with the control pod. Then they sent me a whole new speaker set. This was maybe a year and a half ago or whenever. So now I have 7 good satellites, 1 sub, and another perfectly good sub that's missing the plug from the power cord... I guess if my sub ever blows, which is not likely, then I'm sure I can just splice a power cord, or reterminate the power cord onto the original sub, and have another perfectly good sub.

Hope this helps..

Jul 11, 2004 at 4:50 PM Post #20 of 25
I like my sub
smily_headphones1.gif

SonoSub.jpg

Jul 12, 2004 at 1:24 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
I like my sub
smily_headphones1.gif

SonoSub.jpg

now that is ghetto!
biggrin.gif

Jul 12, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #23 of 25
I'd have built one if I had had the ability to cut round endcaps
tongue.gif

Jul 13, 2004 at 7:43 AM Post #24 of 25
I really need to cover that with some carpeting
cool.gif

It's really simple cutting the bottom piece. All you need is a router, and jasper circle jig, and a up spiral 1/4" bit. I got the router for free as it is a cheap old, non-plunge type. I just made a groove for the tube and used some epoxy.

Jul 13, 2004 at 8:23 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by gastro54
I really need to cover that with some carpeting
cool.gif

It's really simple cutting the bottom piece. All you need is a router, and jasper circle jig, and a up spiral 1/4" bit. I got the router for free as it is a cheap old, non-plunge type. I just made a groove for the tube and used some epoxy.

Hehe, that's what I meant by "ability."
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back