The Pro 900s arrived!
Feb 18, 2009 at 11:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

badgerbimmer

Head-Fier
Wow, headphones with bass!

First, would like to say the packaging, build quality, cables etc are all first rate. Very nice.

Second, the bass!

Third, the screw in cable is a pain in the ass. I suppose it is good for the intended application.

Fourth, the bass!

Fifth, I said to myself before they came I was not going to listen to them before 250 to 300 hours of burn-in. Of course I completely disregarded that and immediately tried them. The amazing thing is the absolute clarity, speed and presence of the mids and highs it rivals my 701s, and with no burn-in! The other first impression is the bass, it is like listening to real music (ie not through headphones). I now understand why Vvranrij says these are balanced - everything is there. Now in the present state the bass is to much and ultimately the Kees mod may be necessary. However before that decision can be made I need to properly burn them in and try a different cable. I can hardly wait to see what these evolve into!

Sixth, the bass!

Feb 18, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 14
SWEETNESS!

Congrats

So your opinion: S-Logic real? Or just marketing bullcrud?

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #3 of 14
I also have the HFI650s which have S-Logic. They soundstage is good, is it the S-Logic or not? Hard to say, if it is effective you really shouldn't notice.

Feb 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 14
S-logic is real but if you interpret it that it´s an equivalent of 5.1 surround speakers then it´s not real
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #6 of 14
For sure, cheer! They are really spanking cool looking cans! Love the silver look to em.

Did your Pro 900s come with a 1/4" Neutrik plug? If it did, that is awesome!

576412.jpg

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #8 of 14
They all come with a neutrik plug...

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 14
mbd is not to be taken seriously
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by badgerbimmer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the HFI650s which have S-Logic. They soundstage is good, is it the S-Logic or not? Hard to say, if it is effective you really shouldn't notice.

Just wanted to ask, how would you describe the bass between both your HFI-680s and your new Pro 900s (even though they arent burned in yet) in both quantity and quality.

thanks

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 14
There is no use in describing the Pro900's bass when its not burned in, just as a headsup. It will not at all represent the quality its going to be.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 14
At the moment the XLO burn-in track is marrily doing its job.

How ever I can tell you that the bass in the 900 out of the box is stronger and more articulate than in the HFI650.

Feb 22, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 14
100 hour check-in. The Pro900s have burned in about 100 hours using the Sheffield XLO test CD burn in track. Needless to say things are rounding out. The bass is still very strong but more controlled. The highs seem to me a bit bright at the moment I trust that will settle down. The mids are liquid and there. I did a brief bit A/B/C/D comparing the Pro900/AKG701/HFI650/ATH-EW9 using Diana Krall The Girl in the Other Room "Stop This World" (Bass, piano & female vocals). I am sure I will upset some people here with these observations but it is what it is. First the Pro900s are incredible already, the sound stage, clarity, speed, depth and musicality are magnificent. The AKG701s which I love (loved?) by comparison sound thin and small. The mids and highs are great but the sound stage just isn't there. To be honest the bass and sound stage produced by the clip on EW9s is better than the 701s! The 701s are better than the EW9s in the integrity of the mids and highs but not by as much as I would have expected. The HFI650s have the bigger Ultrasone sound stage and more bass than the 701s or EW9s, but to be honest the bass is not as good as I other of the other.

In summary the Pro900s are going to be incredible and the little ATH-EW9s really stack up well.

Feb 22, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm glad to hear that, they are truly amazing headphones. And I also own the EW9's, they do great with idoser
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back