The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Feb 26, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #841 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to mention that I've been in talks with Ray for awhile now about this, and he hasn't heard of anyone else with this issue. So please don't take my testimonial as representative.

Edit: I just decided to start my own thread about this...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/sud...rs-usb-300499/

As I stated in your other thread, I have no issues with my Predator (s/n079).

Feb 26, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #843 of 987
We have only listened out of the comps we have here (both have X-Fi's),and some usb cables I bought on Feebay (no LOD's as yet,still waiting on the mail for my Qables).Mine has about 85 hours on it,my wife's about 120~+

I love it.And I am extremely satisfied with it as an amp and as a dac.It does wonders for my music (hip hop/RnB/) as I thought it would.My wife Helene seems very happy with hers as well !

The workmanship is incredible,and I have never seen such attention to detail in a product of this type.

Aesthetically,to me,it blows away my McIntosh,performance wise its 75% imho.Which is what really secretly amazes me given its size,and price and warranty.My wife,I think might be po'd if she knew,given what that Mac cost us,(even used) Now mind you I have not tried plugging in any 600 Ohm cans yet... Still they serve two very different purposes.

I just cant get over how small it is,yet how 'big' the sound is.It is kinda on the 'warm' side of things,as far as amps I have heard goes,but then that's just my opinion.Not that its a bad thing,I love it like that.

I wanted a very specific sound from this amp and its given me 99% of that want.This purchase was for us a complete leap of faith,as we have never bought any of Rays stuff before.All of our expectations have been well surpassed.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am no reviewer,just a lover of gear.

s/n 'PR202' & S/N 'PROWL'

kinda OT:

My wife wanted a special s/n 'PROWL' and Ray obliged.As well,the shipping was just incredibly fast to us.I mean real fast ! Less then 14 hours from drop off @ a Skokie Fedex,to receipt at our door in Ottawa Canada.

FedEx dinged me 19 bucks in taxes,but that's all.Well worth it.The more I listen to this and think about it,the more I don't understand why people buy anything else.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #844 of 987
That's awesome, I too think the sound quality you get and the size of the sound compared to how small the unit is is just incredible. The attention to detail is fantastic, the case feels even more solid than my hornet and it (hornet) is built like a brick sh#! house.

I find the sound to be very warm, especially using the dac, which I also love and that is just how ray wanted it I believe.

I think you sum it up well and I totally agree: I went into this purchase doing heavy research on everything available that is similar. There was a specific sound I was looking for, warm with huge bass and correct highs and mids and this has given me about 99% of that sound. I can't get over the bass, I am kinda a bass guy, I hate to admit it
smily_headphones1.gif
I prefer my e5' s to my se530's which says alot cuz with the e5 you miss like all the mids but they have the most amazing, punchy, speaker air is moving around, type of bass and I am willing to give up a litttle here and there for that bass!!

And the Predator I swear has better and more bass than my HR-2, which has a huge seperate power supply, is bigger, dual mono etc. The predator just has ooomph and thump!
The more time I spend with it, I don't know why someone would buy anything else, but to each his own I suppose...

Just don't touch my Predator!!

Feb 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #845 of 987
Me, too. If I haven't already mentioned it in this thread, I'm in love with my Predator. I just shipped it off to Ray for a little service, and I'm already missing its sound.

Feb 26, 2008 at 10:29 PM Post #846 of 987
Yes, once the cap gets the hours on it the bass is some of the best I have heard. Not boomy just is total solid control. What adds to this is the ease at which the bass comes across while being integrated with the rest of the frequency range. I have written all this before but because of the quality I hear it bears repeating.

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #847 of 987
The bass to me is fairly good out of the box,to think it improves vastly with time,is great to hear.I look forward to the improvements.

Amazing the sound that comes out of this tiny,tiny peice of art.

Feb 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #848 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, once the cap gets the hours on it the bass is some of the best I have heard. Not boomy just is total solid control. What adds to this is the ease at which the bass comes across while being integrated with the rest of the frequency range. I have written all this before but because of the quality I hear it bears repeating.

Hey, your sig line died, or was stolen! I miss it as much as I miss my Predator, which should be on it's way back from Skylab right now.

Actually, I've been planning to move my equipment list to my profile one of these days. It's just too long. Oh, wait. A normal person would sell off some of the stuff to make it shorter...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 28, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #849 of 987
Manny,

You have some good stuff coming!!! The bass definately improved big time as it burnt in. This amp even more than Ray's others I found changed and got so amazing around the 350-400 hour mark. I thought it was good out of the box as well, especially the dac, but put those hours on it and wow!!!

Feb 28, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #850 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey, your sig line died, or was stolen! I miss it as much as I miss my Predator, which should be on it's way back from Skylab right now.

Actually, I've been planning to move my equipment list to my profile one of these days. It's just too long. Oh, wait. A normal person would sell off some of the stuff to make it shorter...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think it is when I uncheck my signature so it doesn't show up. Some people just need that big looong sig. Maybe a deficit in their life. lol

My Predator is sounding so enjoyable. Big, some of the best bass I have heard, what a joy!

Please keep your signature line. I will feel very self-conscious. :^)

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #851 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jchristensenlovesaudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Manny,

You have some good stuff coming!!! The bass definately improved big time as it burnt in. This amp even more than Ray's others I found changed and got so amazing around the 350-400 hour mark. I thought it was good out of the box as well, especially the dac, but put those hours on it and wow!!!

Thanks for the feedback !

I am really looking forward to the progression.
biggrin.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #853 of 987
There are many great colors. I know of blue, gold, white, black. Well there is a page showing all the colors and the indicator light for "on" or charging is part of the switch and it is red but not a bright red like many leds.

Mar 16, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #855 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What colors are available for The Predator?
confused.gif
Also, is the LED available in any color other than red?
confused.gif

LED is Red only,but its not at all bright,by any stretch of the imigination !

The colors can be seen on Rays website.but the pics dont due the colors they come in,true justice,red is just soo much better looking in person.

As are the other colors.

Throw in his expirience building hi fi gear,lifetime warranty versus the competetion,better battery life,and superb workmanship,and color options,and its a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back