The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Feb 11, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #811 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Downer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all insightful info guys... still on the fence between Pico and Predator
smily_headphones1.gif

If after all that has been discussed in various threads about these two amps you still have doubts, either buy both or simply flip a coin. Just remember that the Predator requires a lengthy burn-in. I found the Predator to be worth it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #812 of 987
It works great as a stand alone amp with a beautiful clean quality to the bass.

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #813 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The dac chip uses power from the USB while the amp uses the internal battery or if the external DC is hooked up the amp will use that and will charge if switched on or off.

For home use, is it advisable to just connect the Predator to the external DC for power, instead of using battery power? I assume this will not affect battery life as the battery is left untouched once fully charged? Does this result in better sound quality at all, given that the Predator uses external DC when connected to the wall?

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #814 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For home use, is it advisable to just connect the Predator to the external DC for power, instead of using battery power? I assume this will not affect battery life as the battery is left untouched once fully charged? Does this result in better sound quality at all, given that the Predator uses external DC when connected to the wall?

I'm no expert on the subject for sure but I would imagine that what would be best for both the amp as well as the battery is to charge the battery ,use the amp and when the battery needs to be recharged recharge it then. It just seems logical to me that for ther best performance all around from any amp like this with a rechargeable battery would be to let it run through regular cycles to keep the battery in a constant state of being drained and charged. This would seem to be the logical way to burn in or mold the battery. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Feb 11, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #815 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tubaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Predator amp gets power from the battery whenever it's plugged in the wall or not, and charger only charges the battery. Regarding battery life, I believe these recommendations still hold: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/ho...tteries-63563/

Feb 16, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #816 of 987
I've lost count on my Predator's amount of play hoursbut that's irrelevent as the sound I'm listening to with my predator on my computer with a little pair of
HD25-1-II Senn headphones is so spectacular that I'm just staring at a blank computer screen. I got bored of the computer but am still listening!

Feb 16, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #817 of 987
I hit 1048 hours at 11pm...

It will be at over 1100 hours when I ship it to Skylab for his review Monday. I have over 200 hours on the DAC, and 24 of those have just been over the past day.

It sounds marvelous.

Feb 16, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #818 of 987
Does the Predator come with a USB cable like the Pico,and how long is it ?

TIA !!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #820 of 987
Thanks.

Feb 16, 2008 at 7:51 PM Post #821 of 987
What kind of plug size does the usb slot on the back take ?

Feb 16, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #823 of 987
So would this work ?

Feb 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #824 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny Calavera /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So would this work ?

Yeah.

The Predator has the rounded corners, so the plug does look a little different from what that cable has... But I think everyone uses cables with that tip because I haven't seen any with exactly the same plug as what's on the Predator. It's just a different version of mini usb.

And reduxx is wrong. It's mini usb, not micro usb.

Feb 17, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #825 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah.

The Predator has the rounded corners, so the plug does look a little different from what that cable has... But I think everyone uses cables with that tip because I haven't seen any with exactly the same plug as what's on the Predator. It's just a different version of mini usb.

And reduxx is wrong. It's mini usb, not micro usb.

Thanks lots,I cant wait to get the Predator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back