The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jan 11, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #691 of 987
Ray, Sorry for the delayed payment. Check's in the mail for my pre-order. Msg #s 34, 134, 289, 318.

You'll probably see it Monday.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #692 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by IvanBarista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray, (& Hello Fellow Head-Fi'er,)
What Headphones were "the Predator" design around?
Do you have Favourite IEM that Goes with it ?

AFAIK, Ray is a HD600 / UM2 man.

-Pony

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:29 AM Post #693 of 987
Thanks Man. I Know about HD600 only. UM-2 will be my next
smily_headphones1.gif
then.

Jan 13, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #694 of 987
i have been a serious sound geek for more than 50 years with too much great equipment to mention... got my predator a few days after xmas... with only about 100 hours or so on , the sound is already just glorious ! i listen mostly to modern classical and straight jazz . some new rock , electronic etc. i lost a very nice rig in katrina... audio research valve, joseph audio monitors , meridian front end.... needless to say , since that storm, i have seriously downsized! the predator with , pc lossless files, kimber usb, ultimate ears pro 10 s has the same sonic signature as that fine rig did. and i can hold it in my hand . rs audio is an exemplary co. in every way . thanks ray

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:08 AM Post #695 of 987
What type of USB cable do I need for the Predator? Looks like but not exactly like a Mini-B.

Jan 13, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #696 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AFAIK, Ray is a HD600 / UM2 man.

-Pony

He's a balanced HD600 guy, with a Westone 3 fetish. My kinda' friend
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2008 at 10:46 AM Post #698 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by chef8489 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i am game for when they come out in blue or purple.

Purple would be nice.

Jan 14, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #700 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoiseGUI /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What type of USB cable do I need for the Predator? Looks like but not exactly like a Mini-B.

I use a mini-B and it works fine. I know the receptor looks different and maybe like a micro but the mini-B and I have 4 or 5, works well.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #702 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfm3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kimber mini BUS is what i have and it is sweet and detailed with the predator.

Where did you purchase it? I looked on the Kimber site and couldn't find it.

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #703 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfm3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
kimber mini BUS is what i have and it is sweet and detailed with the predator.

Now while I do believe in quality interconnects for analog signals, USB-IF states a certified cable (carrying the USB logo, max 4M long) will limit distortion in the digital signal to a level that can be handled by the protocol. If you lost digital data over the USB cable, files transfered back and forth would degrade over time, which I have not heard of or experienced.

Quality USB cables will increase throughput between storage devices, but the rates for lossless audio, even at 24-bit-96Khz (5 mBits/s) don't even reach the low end of USB 2.0's capability (20-480 mBits/s) by my calculations. And with CD audio actually at 16-bit/44.1Khz (1.6 mBits/s), a Kimder cable seems pointless to me for transferring digital audio to anything other than a storage device.

Now If only Kimder made quality ipod dock cables so I could sync my lossless collection faster. My stock apple dock cable transfered at a pitiful 79 mBits/s just now.

Jan 14, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #704 of 987
I just use a non-name-brand 18" USB, running to the Predator which is velcro'd to the lid of my Macbook. I figured the shorter the better.

However, files are transferred with checksums, or verification of the copy, or something like that. Doesn't USB audio do something similar?

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #705 of 987
I thought I would build the ultimate beyond spec USB, 10 gauge. I figure there won't be any bottle neck for the ampere draw. Now where do I find nice flexible 10 gauge?

I actually would like to try one of the Kimber USB's but I don't like silver plated wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back