The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Jan 6, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #677 of 987
Time will tell but most everyone has a computer with a USB out. The Wadia would again be more of a niche market, though possibly a larger one, but USB is something that is common in many homes. Interesting though.

Jan 6, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #678 of 987
I'm a H140-->MicroDAC-->SR-71 user and I just caught wind of the existence of the predator. I cannot describe how bummed out I am that it does not have optical support.

My dream rig would be to combine a high quality DAC with the SR-71 in one package that would support usb, coaxial, and optical.

Jan 7, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #679 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a H140-->MicroDAC-->SR-71 user and I just caught wind of the existence of the predator. I cannot describe how bummed out I am that it does not have optical support.

My dream rig would be to combine a high quality DAC with the SR-71 in one package that would support usb, coaxial, and optical.

I am with you there. I have a couple of iRivers and like using the optical out to my Monica II dac and then out to an amp but having something like the Predator that would be just a little larger to accommodate an optical and coax would be a dream but some of that circuitry also soaks up more current so there goes battery life. I have to tell you that the unit as it stands does a great job with USB and makes real music, I mean Real music.

Jan 7, 2008 at 4:03 AM Post #680 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to tell you that the unit as it stands does a great job with USB and makes real music, I mean Real music.

That goes without saying since it's a Ray S. product
smily_headphones1.gif
....however, it still does me no good as I don't have anything portable that puts out usb.

As far as battery life, I can live with a little less for the added flexibility and performance of a full featured unit...thus my current acceptance of the MicroDAC.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #681 of 987
Well I wouldn't put it past Ray to come out with something to accommodate as time moves on. The only constant in life is change.

Jan 10, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #684 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by indirstr8s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the DAC accept 24/96 input?

I don't think so, doesn't need to. Most all music, digital, is recorded at 16bits and if recorded at 20 or 24 bits this is only to work with it while in the digital domain so that quality is not lost but when mastered for the CD or like material it is run out at 16 bits. No CD's put out more than 16 bits, no matter what it is recorded at. Many earlier CD's were lucky to get 14 bits but well recorded 16 bit CD's, if everything is done right, can sound extremely good. And yes, you can get an upsampling board to output 24/96, but whether you will hear a difference is up to you. It is all interpolation above the 16 bits and there are pros and cons to this.

Jan 10, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #685 of 987
I may have missed these so excuse me if this is repititious.

1) Have colors been introduced yet??? Don't see them on Ray's site

2) How does this compare with the Hornet/Tomahawk sound?? I don't need the DAC so am I paying extra for somethign I don't need?? Put another way, can I save some bux buying another of Ray's products and achieve the same sound quality??

Jan 10, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #686 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I may have missed these so excuse me if this is repititious.

1) Have colors been introduced yet??? Don't see them on Ray's site

2) How does this compare with the Hornet/Tomahawk sound?? I don't need the DAC so am I paying extra for somethign I don't need?? Put another way, can I save some bux buying another of Ray's products and achieve the same sound quality??

Dear friends & head-fiers...
The second shipment is going out this week-end, we have more than 400 chassis coming tomorrow. I appreciate your patiance & trust in my products.

The color chassis have been delivered to the anodizer 2 days ago, they will be silk screened during this week-end, so those who ordered any of the 4 color Predators, Red, Blue, Gold & Green or the two tone color Predators, your order will be going in the middle of next week.

As to the sound of the Predator, it is full, rich with a great sound stage that extends from ear to ear, front to back & the lowest noise floor of any portable amp I know.
Ray Samuels

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #688 of 987
Ray, (& Hello Fellow Head-Fi'er,)

What Headphones were "the Predator" design around?
Do you have Favourite IEM that Goes with it ?

As I have tried the UE SF5Pros with it.
It Sounded Bloated Next to my ER4S. Even My HD580. hence I have sold them.
What will Be a Step Up For me? apart from the UE10 which is way pass my budget. I am thinking of Westone UM-2. Which I have no local access to audition.
My Home system taste is McIntosh Mc1000 driving B&W 801 Speakers.
BTW, I don't have these System at home.
Over the years, this is what i found to be my Dream combo from Listening at retailers' Showroom.

Thank for the Suggestions in advance.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #690 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray,

Are there any more units left at the introductory price? I was hoping to get one in a silver finish.

Jump in my friend.
Ray samuels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back