The Predator, Portable Headphone Amp/USB DAC Combo
Dec 12, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #392 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by digihead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting...so you are basically telling Ray he shouldn't get the UE11's because you think they are more for musicians?

The UE10 is indeed their best flat frequency response monitor and was designed for musicians and professional use. Previously they had the UE5c (and still might) for use out of portable devices and was tuned specifically for that whereas the UE10 was not.

The UE11 is likely for musicians as this is obviously Ultimate Ears largest customer base. However, the UE11 sounds incredible with an iMod via RSA amp or straight out of the iPod, whatever. It certainly scales nicely with Ray's amps. Knowing this is the latest and greatest custom IEM offering, having Ray get a pair will only benefit the community in the long run.

Sorry, you must've misunderstood my post. I was just passing on what the guy at UltimateEars told me. Ray knows 100000x more than I do about what he should and shouldn't get.

My rig by the way is: iMod (4g) to ALO jumbo cryo (mini to mini) to Hornet/Tomahawk (Hornet at home, tom on the road) to UE10.

Have you heard both UE10 and UE11? My objective is flattest possible freq response for hifi listening.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #394 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio Addict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could someone confirm the Predator's DAC is only through the USB and couldn't be used with any other source than a laptop?

Lap top or desk top + any Ipod input or CDP.
Ray Samuels

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:51 AM Post #395 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi ray, 1 question, will the predator work on a macbook pro?

thanks.

I asked Ray about Macs and the answer is yes the predator will work fine

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:04 PM Post #398 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
was wondering the same thing since I have no desire whatsoever to use my portable stuff with a computer, since I don't travel and use my portable stuff without laptop or anything computer-related

posted this awhile back and no one's answered. What do y'all think??? Is this sonically superior to Hornet or Tomahawk??

Dec 13, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #400 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
posted this awhile back and no one's answered. What do y'all think??? Is this sonically superior to Hornet or Tomahawk??

If you have a hornet, how much more sonically superior would an amp have to be to merit the expense? All I've heard about the Predator so far is that it's closer in sound to the Hornet than the SR71.

Not owning a Hornet (but having decided to look into one, which is what led me to discover the Predator), my wish is that it's at least on par with the Hornet for non-DAC use (I wanted something to drive my 250 ohm Beyers)... the DAC however is an awesome bonus, especially at the intro head-fi price (just marginally more than the Hornet).

Logic tells me that the sound signature of the DAC is part of what will make this amp worth owning, however-- if you have no desire or intention to use it as a DAC, the best thing to do is probably to wait until there's more feedback on the amp / comparisons with the Hornet. (Not to say that there aren't other advantages to the Predator-- the battery comes to mind. It sounds like it should be more portable in regards to battery life than the Hornet, whilst being able to drive larger cans than the Tomahawk is designed to do).

Dec 13, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #401 of 987
I thought I posted a couple of days ago, but if that was missed...
Please put me down for a Predator
Black please
If I have an option I would love s/n 5 or 41
Thanks Ray!

Dec 13, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #402 of 987
Please put me down for a Predator in black.

Thanks Ray.

Best wishes,
Jason Brown

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:47 AM Post #404 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ray, please put me down in the list for one predator. I would like it to be silver and blue LED if possible. Otherwise, default color is fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks,

Chris

No blue LED isn't a problem, default color is fine. No preference on serial numbers either... hehe, its the sound that counts
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Chris

Dec 14, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #405 of 987
Quote:

Originally Posted by klenk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No blue LED isn't a problem, default color is fine. No preference on serial numbers either... hehe, its the sound that counts
biggrin.gif

Thanks,

Chris

Amen brothah. I've not looked at the serial number on my tomahawk since the day I got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back