The PPX Slam has arrived, impressions
Nov 10, 2005 at 2:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
First off, I would like to share my experience with Mikhail, as this is a story that has to be shared being one of the most unparelled level of customer I have ever experience bar none. Mikhail is truly a man that takes his music seriously and definately proud of his creations. The first slam, was actually mishandled by the local USPS, a quick call to Mikhail had the Fed ex guy arrived at my door in 2 hours after the phone call, that was like instant service lol, :O, and a replacement unit was sent to my house a couple days later and no additional cost to me.
I was absolutely stunned by this gentlemans quick response and smooth experience. I couldnt believe he went so far out of his way to make one person happy, after a short discussion, I quickly learned, that it was NOT about money with his amps, but sharing what he feels is an incredible music experience that headphone lovers should listen to.

So I get the unit in today, totally securely packaged, double boxed and an insane level of care preparing the safety of these delicate tubes.

The unit is smaller then I imagined. It has a very rock solid build, Tubes fit firmly, decent power cord supplied, and absolutely lovely to look at.

Plugged this baby in, clean start up, NO HUM, no noise powering up, I mean this thing sounds freakin clean. Had my hd600s hooked, which I use as my reference cans and popped in a cd I was familiar with. I am currently using a XCD-99 with the stock op amps, known to be thin sounding, I was actually going to get a seperate dac to bypass this, but after listening to this for just 10 seconds, I mean the tubes havent even had time to warm up yet, I hear the thin sound totally gone, what I do hear is an accurate portrayal of male vocals Ive never had heard portrayed so real sounding before. I mean, the thin far away vocals were gone! I hear true vocals the way its meant to be sound.

For me to notice this instantaneously is just remarkable. The difference and improvement was so blatantly apparent I couldnt believe it.
While waiting for my tube amp, I was already contemplating upgrades and was really thinking about forgetting the ppx slam and getting something higher up. This has changed seconds after listening to the amp, The combo and synergy of the units are so musical and aurally attractive, I feel this is more then enough to satisfy my ears for a long while. Rarely do I come across equipment I feel content with. I always pick out something wrong, or NOT right with the sound, but find it alright. This amplifier is definately one amp that hits all the right places. There is definately weight and substance to the sound, its no longer analytical or dry, its music. Its a very close replication of how true music sounds, it captures the essense of it, and takes away the digital harshness. Coloration IMO is a good thing, IF it colors it in a way to make the music more real, the PPX Slam definately passes this test with flying colors.

What I look for in amps are not just volume boosters, or something with aurtority to drive the headphones, I look for amps that deliver the music in a way thats is intimate, realistic and tangible. This amp is more then excellent. Excellent would be an understatement.

Pics!

ppxslam1.jpg

what do we have here?

ppxslam2.jpg

After a bit of digging, struck gold!

ppxslam5.jpg

its new home.

After a few more days of critical listening, Ill post a follow up.

Nov 10, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 50
Congrats. You sure sound like one satisfied customer. Singlepower...ah, man sooner or later it's a meeting that's bound to happen for Mr. Ampless. Thanks for sharing the experience. Service like that speaks volumes about the manufacturer.

Now if folks will leave Mikhail alone perhaps he can spend a few moments with the balanced line!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 50
Wow, congrats Myo! That's a great looking amp. What kind of tubes did you put on it...with its pink glow (similar to Jahn's Russian 6N1P). Also does the Hal-O tube dampers help? How does this unit compare to the Micro Amp that you've also been raving about?

Nov 10, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #7 of 50
well his sig shows his source is a disney pink princess pcdp, so odds are we're looking at the Pink Princess PPX!
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:45 AM Post #9 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
well his sig shows his source is a disney pink princess pcdp, so odds are we're looking at the Pink Princess PPX!
evil_smiley.gif

That's it. From now on we call all SinglePower PPX's the Pink Princess. Congrats Myo on your new Pink Princess SLAM.

Toodles!

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:48 AM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
That's it. From now on we call all SinglePower PPX's the Pink Princess. Congrats Myo on your new Pink Princess SLAM.

Toodles!

and dont forget that pink bubblewrap! and if those are the same pink tubes, they are Russian, so Mikhail might like the nickname after all hehe!
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #11 of 50
I really love mine. It seems like another 100 hours of burn-in over what Mikhail gives it (about 50) improves things a bit.

I went for the 'Earl' option of a 6sn7 myself and have been running this or a 7n7 to compensate for my bevy of soundstage challenged phones.
icon10.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:50 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat

Toodles!

hey, the tubes in my Slam glow with a nice orange light! i demand that my Slam be called Orange Julius Slam.

Nov 10, 2005 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 50
Congratulations Myo! You are worth it. After 50-150hrs, it will probably open up even more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
The SP force is growing daily
icon10.gif

...somehow I feel the Earl is behind every new purchase
very_evil_smiley.gif

Earl is Mikhail in disguise, didn't you know?

Congrats RnB, its rare to find a product that satisfies as fussy a bunch as we so completely on first audition. Enjoy the music!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back