The Power of the iPod?
Jul 30, 2014 at 11:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

seastones

New Head-Fier
Short and to the point, I'm wondering if the 5th gen iPod (Video) has enough power to really drive the Grado SR-60i or Sony MDR-V6 at high volumes.

To get into it a little more, I haven't had a lot of reason to take the headphones out into the world yet, but some preliminary listening seems to give me a shrill sound out of the iPod at high volumes. I've always heard the SR-60i were easy to drive, though... (Can't say the same for the MDR-V6)
When I listen to the SR-60i on the Fisher receiver I use, there is plenty of bass and it can get quite loud and stay clear. However, the CA-35 has a "loudness" circuit that would appear to be active at certain volumes rather than controlled, which leads to me believe it could be that providing that extra kick.
The bass seems equivalent on my LG G2 and possibly through the headphone output on the PC, though I can't be absolutely sure.

This leads me to a few points...
1) I'm afraid to get into some of the Grado mods, specifically venting the driver, if I'm already content with the bass output.
2) If an amp will help with the situation, I'll gladly pick one up... but I don't want to waste the money if it isn't necessary.

Any and all input is appreciated.

--seastones

Aug 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to the forum seastones. The two headphones you refer to are both low impedance and therefore are easily driven without an amplifier. The older 5th gen is louder than the newer models due to the lack of volume restrictions. The Grado headphones being open headphones won't be suitable for use outside as all the noise from outside with ruin the listening experience and other people will be able to hear what you are listening to.

Aug 1, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 7
By out, I just meant not at home but still in quiet environments.

As well, in my experiences so far, the iPod has the least bass and harshest output of any of the devices I've tested with the SR-60i which led me to believe that the amp is insufficient.

Aug 2, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 7
Don't try an iPod 6th gen if you find the 5th gen harsh. The 6G had a sort of rough electronic sound character. The bass on the 5G is something I find quite interesting, it is a little subdeud and slightly processed. The 5G's amplifier has been criticised and I was a believer until I tried a desktop Fiio E9 which while being higher quality added more colouration and messed up the balance. There will be other amplifiers that improve on the built in iPod's however. I have never heard a Grado headphone and from what I have read about them I doubt I will ever buy one. Aggresive, harsh, bright and 'in your face' presentation are all used to describe these sort of headphones. If you like these sort of headphones which are arificially altering what was originally recorded then an iPod 5G is not ideal as it has very limited EQ options. Other brands like Cowon or Sony might be more suitable. The iPod 5G is slighly warm in its output, unless you have a faulty headphone jack or logic board causing distortion.

Aug 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM Post #6 of 7
Owning the iPod video and MDR-V6 I would get an amp. (I've also had SR80i) You don't need to spend much . $40 on the Topping NX1 amp would be enough. Don't forget to pick up a cheap line out dock.

Aug 5, 2014 at 5:18 AM Post #7 of 7
Don't try an iPod 6th gen if you find the 5th gen harsh. The 6G had a sort of rough electronic sound character. The bass on the 5G is something I find quite interesting, it is a little subdeud and slightly processed. The 5G's amplifier has been criticised and I was a believer until I tried a desktop Fiio E9 which while being higher quality added more colouration and messed up the balance. There will be other amplifiers that improve on the built in iPod's however. I have never heard a Grado headphone and from what I have read about them I doubt I will ever buy one. Aggresive, harsh, bright and 'in your face' presentation are all used to describe these sort of headphones. If you like these sort of headphones which are arificially altering what was originally recorded then an iPod 5G is not ideal as it has very limited EQ options. Other brands like Cowon or Sony might be more suitable. The iPod 5G is slighly warm in its output, unless you have a faulty headphone jack or logic board causing distortion.

I don't plan on updating my hardware.
I've heard the critiques and found someone giving details about the power of the amp, which seemed lower than any other source I've tried, thus I wondered if there was much to benefit from.
Considering I'm not using the standard iPod firmware, EQ isn't really a big thing.
Considering the fact I've been hesitant to use EQ and still have fallen in love with the Grado sound, it really isn't a big thing.
I do have the MDR-V6 but I honestly can't stand how shrill they are (mind you their pads are more or less dead, as I've received them, but even when they were nearly new I wasn't a huge fan). I also have a pair of Etymotic MC-5, which while I can enjoy, I find very lifeless. It's all a matter of opinion and I think I've finally found what I've been looking for.

OP if you'd like to have a touch OS, the first gen iPod touch has a Wolfson DAC.

If I wanted a touch OS I'd look into a used Android phone with a microSD slot and maybe a relatively cheap USB DAC to go along with it.
Though really, I don't want to spend more money when I've heard decent things about the DAC in the iPod Video on top of some of the mods out there for it.

Owning the iPod video and MDR-V6 I would get an amp. (I've also had SR80i) You don't need to spend much . $40 on the Topping NX1 amp would be enough. Don't forget to pick up a cheap line out dock.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll look into it.
I'm mostly concerned about the SR-60i. As stated above, I'm not the biggest fan of the MDR-V6...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back