The Postal Service anyone?
Jul 17, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #16 of 42
Well if electronic is still underground then The Postal Service is definitely changing that because they were all over, and I mean all over, corporate radio with their single. It's a decent album. It's fun although most people expected something a little bit more challenging from the both of them. I enjoy Dntel solo work better. Including the song he did with Ben Gibbard which easily beats any song on Give Up.

Hope you enjoy the CD! And definitely check out some of the recos in this thread. There's some really good ones.

Jul 17, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #17 of 42
I like Dntel's work a lot more too.

The Song Silent mentions is "The dream of evan and chan" , and is one of my fav songs and IMO the best song the two recorded together. Its on DNTEL's "Life is Full of Possibilites" album. The single track is avaliable off of iTunes. heh, scrolled up and saw someone already mentioned this... anyways, its a kick ass song

Jul 18, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #18 of 42
Some great info here guys. I have been trying to sample some of the artists mentioned here. Dntel's The Dream of Evan and Chan, and it is definitely a unique style I'm not too used to, but I do enjoy it. When I get the two CD's, I'll post some impressions. Thanks again guys.
biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 4:03 PM Post #19 of 42
hmmmm.... sounds like you may also enjoy Stereolab, Emporor Tomato Ketchup. the trailblazers for much of this stuff, like no one else you've heard.

Jul 20, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #20 of 42
Like I said earlier go to eptitonic.com. Free mp3's of relate artists. Figurine is the other guys main project. IMO blows everything else away. I would decribe this music as a Seefeel revival.

Other artists not mentioned
Seefeel (MBV meets Aphex Twin) started all this back in the early 90's
Laika
Slowdive
Curve
The Killers
Twine

I could go on and on and on but I wil stop.

Enjot the Music

Jan 12, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #21 of 42
I recently discovered a very cool group in the same vein as The Postal Service.

The Junior Boys

They make some very nice indie electronica that is somewhat reminicent of Depeche Mode and sounds like Swayzak from time to time [very 80s].

[EDIT: and they are from Hamilton! I might get to see them live
icon10.gif
]

I definately second [or third as the case may be] The Notwist recommendation. I got a chance to see them live and met the lead singer. Nice guy if a bit mousey [shy].

Also from that label and similar: Lali Puna, Styrofoam, The GoFind [same people as styrofoam], etc. [saw all three live in Toronto a while back... great show. The lead singer for The Notwist was playing Bass for Lali Puna]

Manual, Azure Ray and Slovo are all good as well.

Oh and if you like The Postal Service, why not pick up some Death Cab for Cutie [same male vox] and some Rilo Kiley [same female vox].

Jan 13, 2005 at 9:42 AM Post #22 of 42
I second the Junior Boys recommendation. It's like the Postal Service with a bit more of an R&B slant (Postal Service meets Jamiroquai). Nice production and not quite as sentimental as Give Up.

Jan 13, 2005 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 42
not to thread crap, but shortly after first reading this, i decided to pick up death cab for cutie's album, transatlanticism just on a whim.

boy do i hate it. dull and whiny. and i've given it several tries... listening to the album all the way through, looking for something to like about it.

blech.
plainface.gif

Jan 14, 2005 at 12:12 AM Post #25 of 42
Yeah, the GoFind is good, but I like Styrofoam even better. [same band members in different roles]

Jan 14, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #27 of 42
Another one often described as something like a harder version of the Postal Service is Puking and Crying by S.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p...ueyxdjb5ola~T1

Which might also bring into the conversation that great Solex album from a few years ago called Low Kick and Hard Bop. Love it. Kind of mind boggling, but it'll really get under your skin. At least it did for me. One of my top albums of the last few years. Also a nice review of it at AMG
smily_headphones1.gif

e940361rnrp.jpg

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:55 AM Post #28 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
not to thread crap, but shortly after first reading this, i decided to pick up death cab for cutie's album, transatlanticism just on a whim.

boy do i hate it. dull and whiny. and i've given it several tries... listening to the album all the way through, looking for something to like about it.

blech.
plainface.gif

I'll agree with you here, i really don't like the DDfC stuff i've heard. However, i do find most of Give Up to be enjoyable. It dwindles toward the end, but 'This Place is a Prison' makes the wait worthwhile.

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:25 AM Post #30 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
i love death cab. i also love postal service. and dntel. and all time quarterback. in general, i'm a huge ben gibbard fan.

Have you heard the track with his vocals on the new Styrofoam album? It's great.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back