The Portable Illusion
Mar 17, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier
Over the last couple of years, my "portable" setup has evolved to an iPod Touch 64gb (3g), a TTJV Slim amp fed via LOD, and Senn HD-650. It sounds great! All told, that setup cost in the neighborhood of $1100 USD. Recently, a change in work requires me to commute to Manhattan's financial district once a week. For me the door to door commute is 3 hours each way, the majority of that spent on the train. Of course I had to have my music with me, but was not about to carry over a grand woth of "portable" gear with me on the commute, and then leave it unattended during the day as I attend meetings and whatnot. So much for portable...

I decided to buy some gear that would sound acceptable, but would *NOT* be devastating if it got broken, lost, or stolen. I got an 8GB Sansa Clip Zip, and a set of Klipsch Image S4's. For a setup that cost me under $140, the sound is suprisingly good. Which brings me to my rant. (This rant applies to my situation, and probably others, but if not, don't be offended. Just remember to preceed each statement with the phrase "For me" - meaning me, the OP.)

I could have probably gotten a nice little desktop setup for what I paid for my portable setup. (although I'd still have the HD-650's which I LOVE!) For me, the only thing portable about my setup is that I can port it from room to room to listen while I read. The convenience of my commuting setup - the tiny Clip Zip and IEM's provide more than enough fidelity on a train. Also 8GB allows me to have about 20 - 30 full lossless CD's at any one time. That is plenty of variety. I don't need to have everything with me at all times. (Let's not get into lossless vs lossy ok? My whole library is lossless - both FLAC and ALAC, and I don't need want yet another format)

I'm just thinking that when commuting or doing something truly portable, there are enough distractions and background noise that an inexpensive setup like the one I mentioned is more than sufficient. (By the way - the sound on this little combo it excellent!)  I just think that I would have been better off overall with a respectable desktop setup instead of what I have. There's no way I'd go hiking or running with that rig. OTOH, I wouldn't think twice about doing it with my small rig. I guess what I'm saying is that, and I am echoing someone else's conclusion that I read here, "portable" is silly. (insert "For me")  Yes the toys are cool, and some are amazing, but silly nonetheless.  (insert "For me") 

*** Edit - changed sentence to read "but would *NOT* be devastating"

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:20 AM Post #2 of 4
A really interesting post.

I remember a couple of years ago I was using an iPod Video > Headroom Bithead > HD-25 and kept wondering why I was bothering to lug it around on my commute every day, it sounded great but it was far from practical. I ended up getting much more out of an iPhone > SE530 combo which I've recently beefed up with a Fiio E6 for use on the train every day. Sadly the E6 lasted about a month and then I dropped it and it hasn't been the same since.

I've actually been pondering spending £300 on a Clip Zip + Amp to replace my iPhone but this post has made me rethink just using a simple DAP on my commute and gettin a nicer desktop setup for home where I can really appreciate the quality.

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 4
i am in with you... 

clip zip + Eyth 4P for the plane and wasting time in airports and hotels.

Home office - Audioengine 5+ with a nuforce i model and iPhone / touch
Work office - Senn 598s with a second nuforce unit and same touch
Travel office / remote locations / hotels - typically clip zip and bose portable speakers
Offshore - plane set up, works just fine in the bunk house, quiet, and less snoring sounds from my bunk mates. and i don't worry about getting stollen. 

i would say with the clip, and a couple of micro sd, i have everything i need for long trips, plus with my laptop, i have all my music anyway...

the clip zip just replaced my studio v. i have no worries about leaving the clip on the plane, in the hotel, taxi, etc...

i like the noise isolation of the eyths and the comfort for me. 

matt

Mar 17, 2012 at 11:46 AM Post #4 of 4
ps. my eyths are 10 years old, and have elec tape holding the cables together, so no worries about someone stealing these. i have a new pair as well, that sound just the same....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back