The Population of the USA Will Reach 300 Million in October 2006.
Oct 11, 2006 at 11:38 PM Post #32 of 49
Human Population from A.D. 1 - 2020

- A.D. 1: 150M
- 1350: 300M
- 1700: 600M
- 1800: 900M
- 1900: 1.6B
- 1950: 2.4B
- 1985: 5B
- 2020: 8B

The population growth, as well as its potential drain on human resources, is extremely troubling. This issue and others are discussed in the CIA report Long-Term Global Demographic Trends: Reshaping the Geopolitical Landscape (July 2001). One of the most interesting documents I've ever read.

https://www.cia.gov/cia/reports/Demo_Trends_For_Web.pdf

Oct 12, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #34 of 49
Really, its not land space I'm concerned with..ts running out of fresh water. If we don't find a way to desalinate the ocean (cheaply), IMHO we will see the war over potable water in our lifetimes. (Total speculation, please...dont flame over this).

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:51 AM Post #35 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty757
Really, its not land space I'm concerned with..ts running out of fresh water. If we don't find a way to desalinate the ocean (cheaply), IMHO we will see the war over potable water in our lifetimes. (Total speculation, please...dont flame over this).

As with most rare things, it's not the commodity's rarity but mostly its distribution that consitutes the problem. The UN Comprehensive Assessment of the Freshwater Resources in the World says that the increasing water stress "largely [occurs] as a result of poor water allocation, wasteful use of resource and lack of adequate management action". These are big problems but they can be solved. For example, desalination plants are expensive but worth it, or, since most of water is used in agriculture, it will be more effective to import grain rather than grow it yourself. This has political implications and is expensive but it can free up domestic water resources. Another big problem is waste as the majority of the world's irrigation systems are based on an annual flat rate, and not on charges according to the amount of water consumed. So better pricing and management can greatly improve things as well.

Oct 12, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #36 of 49
Overpopulation breeds disease. That's my main concern. Doesn't anyone find it interesting how these respiratory diseases keep popping out of China? SARS? Bird Flu?

As for population growth....dunno what to say to that. India and China are grossly overpopulated. I don't consider the USA overpopulated...some of its cities are, but as a country...take a look at a map of the USA and look at the population stats, there's a whole lotta empty land out there that's unpopulated. Maybe our government should look into building some new cities in the future...

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:45 PM Post #37 of 49
Poll #1: In which state will the baby be born? California, New York, Texas, ...?
Poll #2: Which day of the week? Monday, ...?
Poll #3: Date: October xx, 2006?
Poll #4: What time? After midnight, ...?
Poll #5: Which major city, if any, will the baby be born? New York, LA, Chicago, Houston ,....?

Ha, ha, ha, ..

Adam
biggrin.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 5:58 PM Post #39 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
This thread depresses me. It's getting too crowded on earth.

As long as they don't all register on head-fi....
eek.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:37 PM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane
Ah yes. Give everyone some good music and a sweet pair of headphones...better than sex
eek.gif

Umm... I think you must be doing something wrong...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 12, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by gloco
Overpopulation breeds disease. That's my main concern. Doesn't anyone find it interesting how these respiratory diseases keep popping out of China? SARS? Bird Flu?

As for population growth....dunno what to say to that. India and China are grossly overpopulated. I don't consider the USA overpopulated...some of its cities are, but as a country...take a look at a map of the USA and look at the population stats, there's a whole lotta empty land out there that's unpopulated. Maybe our government should look into building some new cities in the future...

Build more cities? Where? Tear down more forests? What do you define as empty land? Maybe humans don't live there but there are other living things on earth apart from us.

Overcrowding doesn't breed diseases. Diseases are created because man wants to play god.

The water problem is 2 fold. One, population boom and two, industries are polluting the rivers. They dump their waste and pesticides. Then they dam the rivers, stopping the flow that's needed to clear the waste.

Oct 13, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #44 of 49
I think that all the newspapers, not to mention the tv, will show the picture of
the baby along with their parents. It will be a huge photo on the front page
with large print title including the two words: ... 300 MILLION ...

Adam
blink.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by pds6
My goodness, 82,000,000 in Vietnam. Its only 127,210 sq miles. That is about the size of New Mexico.

Bangladesh has 141,000,000 on 55622 sq miles. That is about the size of Illinois

Users who are viewing this thread

Back