The Pono Player Impressions Thread
Aug 30, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,353 of 1,969
Looks a lot like the Sennheiser.

Sep 1, 2016 at 11:53 PM Post #1,355 of 1,969
I took advantage of the Fry's offer since I always see it discounted but this time was cheaper than any other time. I was curious because I have seen a lot of good comments. That is how I got my DX90 and joined Head-Fi. Comparing the Pono to the DX90 I find the Pono more engaging and musical. I use to find the DX90 a bit bright but with the Lurker firmaware it got better. I got the Pono thinking that I could return it within the 30 days return policy from Fry's but I at this point I don't think I will. 

I actually like the shape since it fit nice in my desk while I work. I can see the screen easily and it rotates when it is horizontal. I don't think it will be a nice portable because of shape but I guess I have the DX90 (at least for now). I also like the sleep mode instead of turn it off all the way. The DX90 boot every time you turn it on and gets annoying after a while. The Pono's screen is not that great but the touch screen is better implemented than in the DX90. I am not sure I will be able to find a player at this price with this sound and balanced.

I also have my eye on the Onkyo DP-X1... has anyone had the chance to compare them?

Now I need to get balanced cables and see....  
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #1,356 of 1,969
@roadrat get one of those refresh batteries with micro USB connection. The bigger the power station battery, the longer you have to listen.

@morinu, you haven't heard anything yet. A new Pono Player is hard to listen to when you used to broken in one. If you think it is organic now, give it 200 hours of play time. You will be amazed. All those discrete parts have to break in. Takes time. If you think the sound quality goes backwards at times do no panic. Different parts break in at different speed. Give it 200 hours or more. Let it play all night.

Haven't heard it but I doubt the Onkyo has a chance in h*ll of sounding as real as the Pono. What highend equipment are they known for? No discrete components and likely negative feedback for good looking specs. The Pono is a hot rod race car. It doesn't do anything but sound quality. Every thing else has been thrown out. No wi fi, Bluetooth, streaming, distorting EQ, etc. Pure, natural sound. No sonic compromise for marketability.

What phones are you using? Balanced out will take the Pono to a whole new level. Wait and see. It will ruin you for the other players.

Sep 2, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #1,357 of 1,969
Balanced out does take it to a new level. It doesn't pair with everything (I got a balanced set up for the acs encore, was bad...but the Encore had been a sob story All along. Got a balanced cable for the HE-1000, doesn't get up to my MicroZOTL amp). Got the Trinity balanced cables, using it with the Westone W40(star foamie tips a must), man it sounds great!

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:03 PM Post #1,358 of 1,969
@morinu, you haven't heard anything yet. A new Pono Player is hard to listen to when you used to broken in one. If you think it is organic now, give it 200 hours of play time. You will be amazed. All those discrete parts have to break in. Takes time. If you think the sound quality goes backwards at times do no panic. Different parts break in at different speed. Give it 200 hours or more. Let it play all night.

Haven't heard it but I doubt the Onkyo has a chance in h*ll of sounding as real as the Pono. What highend equipment are they known for? No discrete components and likely negative feedback for good looking specs. The Pono is a hot rod race car. It doesn't do anything but sound quality. Every thing else has been thrown out. No wi fi, Bluetooth, streaming, distorting EQ, etc. Pure, natural sound. No sonic compromise for marketability.

What phones are you using? Balanced out will take the Pono to a whole new level. Wait and see. It will ruin you for the other players.

Thank you for the insight. I am looking forward to hear the Pono after 200 hours. My collection includes the Sennheiser HD600, the ZMF X Vibro MKII, Alpha Dogs, SE846, SE310, Porta Pro, KSC75, SHP9500, B&W P5 and B&W C5 

...oh I have too many headphones lol

Sep 2, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #1,359 of 1,969
@morinu, you have a lot of phones. Cool! I also have HD600, Porta Pro, and C5. Plus others. Small world. Which of your phones do you listen to most?

You have mmcx connector IEMs. Go to the trinityaudioengineering.com web store. Trinity is closing out their Pono balanced cables. Nice cables and only $20! Get them while you can. You own so many phones, you need this cable. If you don't use it now you will in the future. Can't beat $20 for a custom braided, balanced Pono cable!

Sep 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #1,361 of 1,969
I would second the Trinity, bought them and very glad I did. For $20, can't go wrong.

Sep 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #1,363 of 1,969
@roadrat get one of those refresh batteries with micro USB connection. The bigger the power station battery, the longer you have to listen.

Hmmm. So simple. I didn't even think of using one of my many external batteries. Sometimes the obvious hides in plain sight. Thanks.

Sep 3, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #1,364 of 1,969
@morinu, you have a lot of phones. Cool! I also have HD600, Porta Pro, and C5. Plus others. Small world. Which of your phones do you listen to most?

You have mmcx connector IEMs. Go to the trinityaudioengineering.com web store. Trinity is closing out their Pono balanced cables. Nice cables and only $20! Get them while you can. You own so many phones, you need this cable. If you don't use it now you will in the future. Can't beat $20 for a custom braided, balanced Pono cable!

Thank you!!! I got the cable... great deal! 
smily_headphones1.gif

I use most of the time the Vibro (Desk) and the HD600 (Bed side with the Alpha Dogs). But all of them get their turn LOL. For example, Porta Pro + DX90 when I BBQ (great synergy). I carry my C5 in my jacket since they are really compact. The KSC75 when I go for a walk. The SE846 when in an airplane, P5 for watching movies in the IPad.... as you can see there is a method to my madness.

Thank you again for the cable tip! 

Sep 4, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #1,365 of 1,969
Hello. Very keen to try Pono and is it okay with SE846 and Andromeda? I was told that pono has high impedance and can be an issue with multi BA low impedance IEM. Anyone using pono with multi BA low impedance IEM? Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back